Singapore Expats

SIM only plans for iphone 5

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
gghy

SIM only plans for iphone 5

Post by gghy » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 1:14 pm

Hi
I already own an unlocked iphone 5. Which service providers provide a nano SIM only service with a decent data allowance? What are the costs like? Thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: SIM only plans for iphone 5

Post by the lynx » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 1:41 pm

gghy wrote:Hi
I already own an unlocked iphone 5. Which service providers provide a nano SIM only service with a decent data allowance? What are the costs like? Thanks
If you're not a monster user and prefer prepaid, Singtel's hi! sim card and Starhub's Happy sim card are available in nano size. Go check their websites for details.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 2:42 pm

You can also cut your larger SIM down to nano size at most mobile shops.

Singtel is my favorite overall, but I believe only M1 offers pre-paid LTE data speeds. If your iPhone supports the Singapore bands (e.g., it's not from North America), then I suggest you look at their offerings.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 2:50 pm

Define decent data allowance. The best you can have is 1GB for 7 SGD a week from SingTel, if they still have it. Happy stars is 500 MB from a 17 SGD top up for a month.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:15 pm

nakatago wrote:Define decent data allowance. The best you can have is 1GB for 7 SGD a week from SingTel, if they still have it. Happy stars is 500 MB from a 17 SGD top up for a month.
They have 14GB for 7 days now.

Although it's not advertised, you can buy a big data allowance plan, then top-up with a very cheap long expiration plan and all of the unused data rolls over.

http://info.singtel.com/personal/phones ... obile-data

For example, buy the 14GB 7 day plan for $25, then in 6 days buy the 200Mb 30-day plan for $10. You effectively get 14.2GB for 37 days then. I assume you can keep topping up a cheap 30 day plan to save unused data.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 2:43 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:Define decent data allowance. The best you can have is 1GB for 7 SGD a week from SingTel, if they still have it. Happy stars is 500 MB from a 17 SGD top up for a month.
They have 14GB for 7 days now.

Although it's not advertised, you can buy a big data allowance plan, then top-up with a very cheap long expiration plan and all of the unused data rolls over.

http://info.singtel.com/personal/phones ... obile-data

For example, buy the 14GB 7 day plan for $25, then in 6 days buy the 200Mb 30-day plan for $10. You effectively get 14.2GB for 37 days then. I assume you can keep topping up a cheap 30 day plan to save unused data.
That's...somewhat better. Singapore telcos really discourages people availing of prepaid plans and push them towards contact plans.

Well, compared to the US, at least the phones are unlocked. Although, Tmo's trying to shake things up.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah. Singtel is OK. I assume Starhub has added more plans. I swear I saw somewhere that M1 offers pre-paid LTE, which is what I plan to use in 2 months when my Singtel contract expires for my iPad. But their website is more 1990s than most here, and I can't find any details.

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:29 am

My wife and I are currently using Starhub prepaid sims on our unlocked iPhone 4Ss.
My wife doesn't use much data so I did 1 gig for 30 days for her for I think around $18.
I use much more and am doing $7 for 1 gig a week.
Since we both have iPhones our texting is going through iMessage.
So far so good. Seems to be a lot cheaper then a normal plan so far.
No complaints about the service.
They have data only SIM cards. I used that when we came house hunting.