Singapore Expats

I have a story to share, and i need take the "english test"

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School

do you think they made proper assesment ?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 3

cocky1234

I have a story to share, and i need take the "english t

Post by cocky1234 » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:14 pm

I have a story to share; I submitted my application for “Degree in IT courseâ€Â

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:26 pm

Are you sure Murdoch is where you want to study?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:30 pm

+1 to Kat. Murdoch is not the premier IT institute. Check with other Australian universities as well if this is a requirement.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:39 pm

Most likely, it is a general requirement for people from countries where English is not the official main language. They just want to have an independent assessment of your language skills.
What's the big deal in taking the test? - If your English is up to scratch you'll have no problems passing!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:39 pm

Frankly, the general level of English in both Malaysia AND Singapore is atrocious. I can understand why Murdoch would want you do to this. As the level of English used in Malaysia is suspect at best, and while courses are delivered in English in Singapore, this does not mean a person is capable of understanding completely or being able to converse intelligently with a native speaker. I've had Diploma & Advanced Diploma holders from Kaplan, for instance, who were able to pass the courses, with no problems, but still have a problem in day to day life understanding the spoken word and actually carrying on a conversation on a daily basis. Murdoch would be ensuring that foreign students wouldn't be out of their depth, possibly so that their failure/dropout rates don't go too high due to language incapability by their foreign students. I would assume they do the same for all from certain countries.

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I know many Malaysians who speak English better than I do. But there are also those at the other end of the spectrum.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 3:46 pm

Australian universities got in a lot a trouble a few years back for their attitude to foreign students. It was perceived that the universities were giving out degrees to foreigners who had limited english (and thus could not really have understood the teaching or have completed competent work). This was because they were cash strapped and saw that they could make a lot of money from foreign students, whilst only make only a limited amount from local students. I remember a lot of academics roles being consumed by endless trips to Asia to recruit students.
So I assume what you are getting here is the back lash - probity.

cocky1234

Post by cocky1234 » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 9:34 pm

Hi, all if they are assessing someone's qualification level, should they at least consider that i have studied in Singapore and already obtain my Higher Diploma in Singapore. i believe in Singapore Education standard, however Murdoch still require "non-born local" to take such test? I dint see other private school in Singapore requires me to take "English Test" and further more i take part "part-time course" and not "full-time course" and not enroll as International Student. I'am a working professional seeking for part-time study.
As i understand, only Full-Time student (not working professional in Singapore) might require to take "English Test" and i don't see why Murdoch don't take into consideration that i have studied in Singapore. (does that mean Singapore Education System are no good to Aussie?, or they just make judgement based on where the person are born, and not where the person obtained their Academic qualifications?)

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 9:38 pm

Looking at the high density of linguistic inaccuracies in your postings, I cannot help but come to the conclusion that their doubts might be somewhat justified.
In any case: Just take the damn test and stop whining!

cocky1234

Post by cocky1234 » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 9:38 pm

to answer someone saying "what the big deal taking the test"
is a big deal, first need to get all the hassle to go there do the test and second you are working and been slap with such requirement. Put yourself in this situation, will you still continue with their (Murdoch) requirement or you just slap them and go find other school.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:00 pm

cocky1234 wrote:to answer someone saying "what the big deal taking the test"
is a big deal, first need to get all the hassle to go there do the test and second you are working and been slap with such requirement. Put yourself in this situation, will you still continue with their (Murdoch) requirement or you just slap them and go find other school.
FFS... I'm 4 units shy of a M.Eng from UWA, if you knew just how hard it was to get a decent degree you'd recognise this test is a minor, minor obstacle.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:22 pm

Just take the damned test. You're not as good as you think you are. Singaporeans take the IELTS for a variety of reasons.

+1 to what beppi said. You sound arrogant in what you posted as your response to them. And your English sounds awkward.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Sun, 21 Jul 2013 2:05 am

Is it just me and it being late at night.... But the English in the letter from Murdoch Is shocking.

"Since your qualifications are from Malaysia, they will required you to take up the English requirement from IELTS."

Does that even make sense? Where is the office this email is coming from?