Singapore Expats

DUI work holiday pass

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 16 May 2013 8:57 pm

In singapore. I had to pay a fine of 2000 SGD and 1.5 yr license ban

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 16 May 2013 9:35 pm

bloodhound123 wrote:In singapore. I had to pay a fine of 2000 SGD and 1.5 yr license ban
I'm surprised you weren't deported then.

You should work on your plan B. Very good chance you'll be gone.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 16 May 2013 10:17 pm

I've always wondered about that term which differs on both sides of the pond. As it's English of course the American version is wrong.

"Drunk" is a state; so "Drunk Driving", as it is called in the States, is driving in a drunk state of mind or condition.

"Drink" is not a state or condition. So what is the grammatical basis for this term?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 May 2013 11:45 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote:In singapore. I had to pay a fine of 2000 SGD and 1.5 yr license ban

Why do you say this? If action was to be taken, why didn't the authorities do it immediately?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 May 2013 8:47 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

Why do you say this? If action was to be taken, why didn't the authorities do it immediately?
If he applied for an EP with a DUI/DWI/whatever they call it here, he would most likely be denied. If he is on a PEP downgrading to an EP, I would assume they're going to deny it also.

From a logical standpoint, this guy is vastly more "undesirable" a foreigner than someone who overstayed their visa or say was working as a prostitute in Geylang since he consciously made a poor decision which put innocent lives in danger. Sadly we all know not everything here operates logically..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 May 2013 2:11 pm

I had a DWI in Louisiana before I came here and was given both an EP later PR. Probably works on a case by case basis and yes, I listed it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sat, 20 Jul 2013 1:47 pm

Hi SMS,

I guess there would be a difference between a DUI committed in Singapore and a DUI committed abroad and in my opinion a DUI in Singapore would carry a higher negative weightage for visa pertinent issues.

Hi zzm,

Yes I do realize that I am vastly more undesirable than some who has overstayed their visa or a prostitute in geylang. But nobody spoke about deportation at the police station or during the court proceedings and I saw quite a expats with drunk driving hits at the court being fined, licence disqualified and being given a last warning.

I informed MOM immediately after my offense. They came back to me after 1 week acknowledging my declaration and said that I would not need to submit any documents now and that they need to be submitted only in the event of a new application. I even spoke to a MOM officer who said that if it is a minor offense it should be ok. I dont know whats the definition of a minor offense with regard to MOM.
When I asked the firm which handles our work permit applications, they mentioned that they have seen lots of DUI ( abroad ) application go through if it is a minor one ( I guess no aggravated circumstances and no prison term in the sentence ).[/quote]