Singapore Expats

Maid becomes employer's girlfriend

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:36 am

the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
the lynx wrote: Just to quote an example, I know a bunch of single male expats sharing a pre-war house in Petain Road and they hired a live-in FDW.
And....???? Are they all having her every night?
Well, "live-in" would mean that they have her every night (or 24 hours for that matter), right?
You get my point. Are they f*cking her? Or is she the maid to a bunch of guys? I know at least a couple of expats with maids, single, that have never touched their maids... except for maybe a hug at Christmas and birthday times. Capiche?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: And....???? Are they all having her every night?
Well, "live-in" would mean that they have her every night (or 24 hours for that matter), right?
You get my point. Are they f*cking her? Or is she the maid to a bunch of guys? I know at least a couple of expats with maids, single, that have never touched their maids... except for maybe a hug at Christmas and birthday times. Capiche?
SWM are living in the land of milk and honey here - no need to mess with a FDW.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:48 pm

Well, at one time apparently, male bachelors were not able to hire a FWD but unfortunately the MOM link from the article does not exist any longer so apparently they had a change of heart!

The old article with the bad link:
http://www.entersingapore.info/expat-li ... y-maid.php
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 1:15 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: And....???? Are they all having her every night?
Was just pulling your leg. I doubt they do that to her. She is just a maid for a bunch of white guys after all.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 1:43 pm

PNGMK wrote: SWM are living in the land of milk and honey here - no need to mess with a FDW.
Yah, but the SPGs don't wash your clothes or do the dishes or clean the house

You may still need a FDW :D
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, at one time apparently, male bachelors were not able to hire a FWD but unfortunately the MOM link from the article does not exist any longer so apparently they had a change of heart!

The old article with the bad link:
http://www.entersingapore.info/expat-li ... y-maid.php
Years ago, when I was single, I came across this 'lost soul' and offered to get her under my employ, as my then employer was having allowance claimable for Maid etc. .

I did apply through agency and the pass was approved, then I had a change of heart, when the agent himself expounded the pros-and-cons of having a maid without sufficient work. let's say, he hinted that the pass will be a pass-of-convenience, and I told the maid to get a transfer promptly and she did do so ..

Still I don't see where it says you can't hire a maid, if you are a bachelor.

Heck, when I was visiting one of my friend who runs a maid agency, one of the maid being interviewed specifically said she wants to work for Caucasian, preferably bachelor, with no dogs, and no taking care of plants etc. etc. Better still, she said, if the guy is a airline crew. :D

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 1:49 pm

ecureilx wrote:Heck, when I was visiting one of my friend who runs a maid agency, one of the maid being interviewed specifically said she wants to work for Caucasian, preferably bachelor, with no dogs, and no taking care of plants etc. etc. Better still, she said, if the guy is a airline crew. :D
I didn't know a maid can choose her employer! Sounds more like the qualities she would look for in a boyfriend :-|

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 2:41 pm

the lynx wrote:I didn't know a maid can choose her employer! Sounds more like the qualities she would look for in a boyfriend :-|
Well, you will be amazed by the reasons some maids give, when they ask for a transfer:

Offhand, some I have heard:

1) my boss wife is coming to Singapore more often, cannot tahan anymore
2) my boss mother is in town always .. (that I can agree to sometimes.. ) :D
3) My boss (Lady) got pregnant, I cannot take care of pregnant woman
4) My boss changing house, from condo to landed house, I don't want to do farming, or take care of garden. I want to change employer :roll:
5) My boss got a dog, I don't want to walk the dog :(
6) My boss strict, must be home by 6 PM on Sunday .. (oh, never mind the fact that this maid was getting every weekend off, even before the law kicked in) :roll:
7) When I joined, my boss told me he will be travelling a lot. Nowadays he don't, so I don't want to work for somebody who can't keep his promise :roll:
8) My boss getting gf, I don't want to work for guy who has gf :roll:

And the best excuse I heard: My boss is making me go on diet and loose weight - that's from a maid who had apparently become twice her size, within a year .. and the concerned employer was intruding it seems ..

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Jul 2013 2:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:I didn't know a maid can choose her employer! Sounds more like the qualities she would look for in a boyfriend :-|
Well, you will be amazed by the reasons some maids give, when they ask for a transfer:

Offhand, some I have heard:

1) my boss wife is coming to Singapore more often, cannot tahan anymore
2) my boss mother is in town always .. (that I can agree to sometimes.. ) :D
3) My boss (Lady) got pregnant, I cannot take care of pregnant woman
4) My boss changing house, from condo to landed house, I don't want to do farming, or take care of garden. I want to change employer :roll:
5) My boss got a dog, I don't want to walk the dog :(
6) My boss strict, must be home by 6 PM on Sunday .. (oh, never mind the fact that this maid was getting every weekend off, even before the law kicked in) :roll:
7) When I joined, my boss told me he will be travelling a lot. Nowadays he don't, so I don't want to work for somebody who can't keep his promise :roll:
8) My boss getting gf, I don't want to work for guy who has gf :roll:

And the best excuse I heard: My boss is making me go on diet and loose weight - that's from a maid who had apparently become twice her size, within a year .. and the concerned employer was intruding it seems ..
No 1 lost me a maid (when I remarried).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:54 am

PNGMK wrote: No 1 lost me a maid (when I remarried).
Maid or wife made that call? :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:04 am

^^^Noice! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:36 am

bgd wrote:
Maid. She didn't like being bossed by someone who actually checked her work it seems.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:12 pm

PNGMK wrote:
bgd wrote:
Maid. She didn't like being bossed by someone who actually checked her work it seems.
If she hadn't been doing a good job before your missus came into the picture, she definitely deserved the boot anyway!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:15 pm

the lynx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
bgd wrote: Maid or wife made that call? :)
If she hadn't been doing a good job before your missus came into the picture, she definitely deserved the boot anyway!
It took me 5 years to convince her to get another maid though! And in the meantime I of course had to actually do housework.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 2:47 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
the lynx wrote: Well, "live-in" would mean that they have her every night (or 24 hours for that matter), right?
You're looking at it backwards. They're making their milk and honey into an FDW to keep her around, at least that's how it works in HK. As squirrel points out, your SPG isn't going to do much of anything around the house expect spend your money.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 3:47 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: You get my point. Are they f*cking her? Or is she the maid to a bunch of guys? I know at least a couple of expats with maids, single, that have never touched their maids... except for maybe a hug at Christmas and birthday times. Capiche?
You're looking at it backwards. They're making their milk and honey into an FDW to keep her around, at least that's how it works in HK. As squirrel points out, your SPG isn't going to do much of anything around the house expect spend your money.
I'd never do it - who the heck wants a knife wielding jealous FDW in your house at night when you're asleep?