Singapore Expats

Holding PR while study/ work overseas

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Cwong1229

Holding PR while study/ work overseas

Post by Cwong1229 » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 1:52 am

Hi Im a SPR. i will be relocating to overseas to pursue my mba. Do I need to inform any authority about it? How about the address on my NRIC, which address can I use?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 1:56 am

If you are living overseas, that is you are giving up your residential address in Singapore, then you must inform them of your foreign address. They will then mail you a strip to be attached to the back of your blue NRIC card reflecting your new foreign address.

Cwong1229

Post by Cwong1229 » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 2:40 am

Thanks. I'm also in the midst of incorporating a private limited co. Since it is a one shareholder/director set up, I can use my current home address as registered address. If I have to change my nric address to overseas, then how? Or I can continue to use my house address even though I don't live there?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 3:55 am

Cwong1229 wrote:Thanks. I'm also in the midst of incorporating a private limited co. Since it is a one shareholder/director set up, I can use my current home address as registered address. If I have to change my nric address to overseas, then how? Or I can continue to use my house address even though I don't live there?
If you continue to have your home in Singapore, then there is no need to submit an address change as your official residence is still in Singapore, and you are merely overseas on assignment... even if it is a long one.

But, if you do use an overseas address, then you must find an "ordinarily resident" director, since you won't be ordinarily resident.

Cwong1229

Post by Cwong1229 » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 8:56 am

What is the definition of ordinarily resident? If my home address is my cousin's hdb unit since im an authorised occupier, do u see any problem if i continue to use this address as the registered address of the company??

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:16 am

Cwong1229 wrote:What is the definition of ordinarily resident? If my home address is my cousin's hdb unit since im an authorised occupier, do u see any problem if i continue to use this address as the registered address of the company??
No.

Ordinarily resident means exactly what it says. It means that there is a director with a physical address in Singapore to which mail from various authorities could be sent.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:19 am

Also, you may want to let us know whether your current PR expiry date falls within your period of study/stay overseas.

Then, my question is that if you are overseas, how are you going to run your SG Pte Ltd, especially if it's a one-man setup? I feel there is something you are not telling us here.

Unless you only want to use it as a shell in order to not lose your PR status while overseas...

Note that ICA will of course know when you are entering and leaving Singapore, so if you are thinking of trying to make them believe you are residing here while you are actually not, that may raise some eyebrows. Not sure though if one of the more experienced folks here have something to share about that.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:41 am

AngMoG wrote:Unless you only want to use it as a shell in order to not lose your PR status while overseas...
Simply having a pte ltd is not sufficient to keep a PR.

Again, if this person is pursuing school and intends to return, then keeping a home address in Singapore is reasonable, regardless of the company.

But, you bring up a good point. When is the OP's rep going to expire?

Cwong1229

Post by Cwong1229 » Tue, 16 Jul 2013 11:14 am

Hi Strong Eagle
Thanks all for the helpful answers. My SPR validity until 2018. I don't have intention to register a company so that i can keep my PR...(of course it will be a bonus if my company makes profit and I submit tax assessment yearly and receive dividend... lol) .
The reason I want to set up in SG because my business network is in sg and i have many helps here while im away. And Singaore has low corporate tax rate and efficient systems.

I'm setting up an online social enterprise hence I can operate from overseas while I'm studying. I also have friends to help me with logistic and operations voluntarily. so as a sole shareholder/director is not a problem.

I have called ICA, HDB and ACRA personally earlier this morning. The answers given are consistent with your answers. Really a great help!

Basically, ICA indicated that I can still keep my Singapore address as my resident address while im in overseas.
HDB said as long as I'm an authorised occupier, I can use this hdb address as the company registered address once it is approved by HDB.

If every is good, i can registrer a private limited company while im in overseas.

Regards