Singapore Expats

Household Appliances - European Size?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Household Appliances - European Size?

Post by yoongf » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 9:56 pm

I have been tasked to get the following stuff.

Fridge,
Washing Machine,
Dryer,
Dishwasher (the non human kind).

What would be “European Sizes”

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 6:32 am

Sure, you'll be fine. There are lots of brands, too numerous to name really. I like the Best Denki at Great World City or Takashimaya. The only problem is that for each appliance you have to deal with a new salesperson -- that's the way it used to work anyway.

The salepeople will help you with the dimensions. European size is smaller that let's say 'American' size, but should really be fine. Do you have the dimensions of the openings where the appliances will be placed? Once you have that, head off to Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman (?) , Paris Silk. Preferrably not on a weekend.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:32 am

I am quite familar with local sizes..

But does "European size" means..

Fridge = 500L
Washing Machine = 7kg
Dryer = 5kg
Diswasher = 12 placements?

Or are we talking about...
Fridge = 600L
Washing Machine = 9kg
Dryer = 7kg

Also.. is Whirlpool perceived as a better brand than say.. Bosch or GE?

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:47 am

I think the appliances should fit the space you have despite geographic affiliations! As far as specific measurements, I'll let our European bretheren take this one...
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 3:59 pm

Ok.. Thanks!

For now.. space is not a constraint since nothing else is in yet.

Hope someone can advise what's best for a family of 4.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:58 am

We brought our European stuff over here, when we moved back from Holland to Singapore.

The funny thing is, most washing machines here (the 'local' brands) are bigger sized than our Euopean ones. We have for example a (German) Brandt 6kg washing machine, whereas my Singaporean inlaws have a 7.5kg Samsung (or alike brand, not sure).

I'd say for the washing machine, most Europeans are used to a 5kg one, larger is not that common in Europe. But since here in Singapore you will do far more laundry (climate hot and humid), it is imho more important to get a good quality one, so not a local cheap stuff promotion. SPend the money on quality, not on size.

Dishwashers are not easy to get here, I know Siemens and Miele have very good ones, you can order and import if needed.

Dryer, same story, take a good one! We have a Brandt as well, imho the best one can get, but not easy to find here.

Fridge? Buy a Samsung or alike, they have huge sizes and are half the price of the European brands. Here the quality of the Japanese, Korean brands is very good as well.

Eric

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 2:09 pm

Hey Eric! thanks for the insight.

As a local, I have always thought that Europeans use bigger stuff than Sg ppl. Hmm.. judging from the shopping trolleys at Tanglin Mall, I guess the fridge still needs to be huge.

Once again, Thanks!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 2:46 pm

yep, fridges back in Europe are stuffed, since we always tend to eat at home much more than we do here in Singapore.

Eric

SpouseofPR

Dishwasher

Post by SpouseofPR » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:05 pm

Hi,

Anybody used a Brandt integrated dishwasher before? Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:28 pm

I had a Brandt, I liked it.

My UK washing machine was a 9kg and I miss it. I have a 7 now and it's the difference between doing a super king bed in one go or two loads. You can't ever go wrong with a big machine, make sure it has a halftime, quick wash and hand wash setting. We had a maytag. I wouldn't turn my nose up at any brand if it was for a rental but I personally wouldn't buy anything but maytag again because they are that bloody good.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:29 pm

Jeez, how old?

SpouseofPR

Post by SpouseofPR » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:44 pm

@Hanniero

Appreciate your feedback...but I am asking about a dishwasher, not a washing machine.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:47 pm

Yes, I realized. And I also answered op out of manners. I didn't realise it was a thread older than Jesus.

SpouseofPR

Post by SpouseofPR » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:48 pm

Yeps...just posted here because the thread is related to dishwashers. So have you used a Brandt dishwasher before?

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:52 pm

Yes. It was LL provided. It was ok. I put dishes in and I took dishes out. Providing I chose no spin it was all fine.

It was fine, not the best I've had but efficient enough. Not sure I'd buy one Witt my own money, I think I preferred LG.