Singapore Expats

Best Gym

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
qaztrader

Best Gym

Post by qaztrader » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 3:29 am

I am moving from NY to Singapore shortly and am looking to join a gym as I am very active. I am looking for somewhere clean with new equipment. Any recommendations?

Transition

Post by Transition » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:30 pm

There are the few high end but pretty good gym like California fitness or Fitness first. I heard that they also have corporate rates like 130/mnth. Never tried them before but my friend that went to fitness first says that it is good. You can also join their classes for free. Included in the monthly package i guess

laidbackyat

Re: Best Gym

Post by laidbackyat » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 6:35 pm

[quote="qaztrader"]I am moving from NY to Singapore shortly and am looking to join a gym as I am very active. I am looking for somewhere clean with new equipment. Any recommendations?[/quote]

hi mate...you can try California Fitness, Fitness First or Pure Fitness...they are top three gym in Singapore....but before you join...consult their sales representitive and compare their rates first before joining in...their representitive tends to 'jack' up the price higher for foreigners...becareful..:)

anyway the gym equipment is awesome...take a look yourself...some of them offer sauna, free drinks, yoga etc2....

cheers

Benjamin1147

Post by Benjamin1147 » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 4:49 pm

Between the major gyms (fitness first, California fitness, etc.) any input on which one's best in terms of crowd, equipment, and overall value? I'm particularly concerned with ones near and around Orchard.

Ryand

Gym prices and Personal Trainer prices

Post by Ryand » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 2:27 pm

Hi all,

I am moving to Singapore in May from Adelaide Australia and will be looking for a Gym as I am very active and go to the gym 4-5 times a week here in Australia. Have have looked over a few websites of Gyms in Singapore but they don't have the prices available, so would anyone have any idea of the average price for a 12 month membership?

Also looking at a personal trainer as I will not have ay training partners once i moving to Singapore, what is the average price for a PT?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 2:50 pm

California is significantly less than 130 sgd/mnth ~ maybe, 80-90 sgd/mnth for 12 months membership (the longer the cheaper). And they work longest - till midnight. Facilities may be worse than some other gyms though (all necessary equipment is available anyway).

TekSeng

Post by TekSeng » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:39 pm

I switched from California Fitness to First Fitness. The gym was a bit cleaner, better equipment and cleaner showers.
Also it depends on your location, as you want to limit the traveling as well. See which one works best for you.
Tek Seng / Funds Administrator

eckatan

Post by eckatan » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 5:33 pm

you can try fitness first, for me, it has the best equipment and bit cleaner..
"Be gentle first with yourself - if you wish to be gentle with others." - Lama Yeshe

caster beh

Re: Gym prices and Personal Trainer prices

Post by caster beh » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 4:33 pm

Ryand wrote:Hi all,

I am moving to Singapore in May from Adelaide Australia and will be looking for a Gym as I am very active and go to the gym 4-5 times a week here in Australia. Have have looked over a few websites of Gyms in Singapore but they don't have the prices available, so would anyone have any idea of the average price for a 12 month membership?

Also looking at a personal trainer as I will not have ay training partners once i moving to Singapore, what is the average price for a PT?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Average prices for personal trainer is at range of $90-$70 per session. Depending on the how many sessions you sign up for.

Benjamin1147

Post by Benjamin1147 » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 9:40 am

So I just wanted to give my input on a couple of gyms I've tried over the past month. So far I've had trials at fitness first paragon, California fitness orchard, and sky fitness at harbor front.

Fitness first paragon
Pros: The gym is very well maintained and everything is very clean. There is a good amount of cardio equipment, and a complete set of free weights and barbells. There’s towel service and free gym clothes if needed – everything was clean and felt relatively new.
Cons: the place gets really crowded, this gets really frustrating as there isn't a lot duplicates of their equipment so waiting is inevitable. This also means in the weights area you can feel really packed in. I also find the design of the gym sort of ridiculous; there's as much or more space devoted to a lounge area as there is for a free weight area. The place also gets pretty messy; people don’t always rack their weights or return their equipment to the proper location. Some of the amenities I find entirely unnecessary: free flow of coke and movie rentals for example.
Price I was offered: $100 in joining fees $136 a month

California fitness orchard
Pros: this was the biggest gym in Singapore I've been to so far, so there' a good amount of space and plenty of equipment. I can’t think of any weights or machines I wanted and couldn't find here. The gym is relatively well kept, I wouldn't say it was spotless but it was clean enough for me to not be bothered by anything.
Cons: The place gets really crowded. The worst thing though, and this is a huge pet peeve of mine, is people often don't rack their weights and the place becomes a huge mess. I find it so disrespectful to everyone else working out to not clean up after yourself. There are horror stories on forums of overly aggressive salespeople; I think they’re a bit exaggerated but they will try to sell you. When I first came in for my trial, after about 15 minutes of admin work they spent about 30-45 minutes giving me a tour, trying to sell me a membership, asking if I was interested in PT sessions or classes, and taking my body fat % (unexpected and I can’t verify the accuracy but interesting). While I thought it was a waste of time, continuously telling them I wasn’t interested got them to back off pretty easily. I also didn’t give them my actual phone number.
Price I was offered: $70 a month for 18 month contract paid up front (you can sign up online for $90 a month no contract)

Sky fitness
Pros: This gym is very clean and organized. Everything is where it should be and the facilities are well maintained. This was also the least crowded of all the gyms I went to; given I generally avoided peak times. For me, they had all the equipment I would need.
Cons: It’s really quite small, and I imagine during peak hours this can become an issue. Really though, it was just way too far away from work and my home to be practical.
Price: I only used a month long groupon, and didn’t bother getting a rate because of how impractical the location was for me

californiagal

Post by californiagal » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 1:09 am

Has anyone been to the Fitness First at One George Street? It's very close to my office so would be convenient, but wondering about cleanliness, crowdedness, and classes.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 8:51 am

I used to go to Fitness First. There is a heated pool (Don't ask me why in Singapore!) which has a fantastic view of the city. The gym is relatively small with limited options in turns of equipments (if you uses them). I usually go to classes or uses the trackmill.

I am currently with Pure Fitness at Asia Square. I think it is more pricey but if you have corporate rates, its about $130 odd. For me, its convenient for me to go during lunch, and they have 30 mins high impact classes. The gym itself is very big, they have a boxing ring inside and a 100m running track (actual track). Even during lunch time, it is still relatively empty, probably because its still quite new.

To me, I think the location is quite important, so I am not sure if its as important for you. I can pop in and out of the gym, have a workout & shower and be back to my office within an hour. I would suggest for you to decide on your schedule (going before work, during lunch or after work) and what sort of workout do you like (if you like classes or using the equipments). If you like to workout during lunches, then picking a gym near your office would be the obvious choice.

student23

Post by student23 » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:55 pm

u can try energyone, its rather cheap as well

Michael X
Regular
Regular

Post by Michael X » Sat, 06 Jul 2013 9:59 am

Pure Fitness is the highest end gym. Incredible state of the art facilities, and very well maintained. That of course comes with a price, and in Singapore that is quite a high price. Check them all out, and then decide based on your budget.

xzib1t

Post by xzib1t » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 8:41 pm

i think clubfitt gyms are about 2.50 sgd per entry. The facilities are not bad, there is a power rack and most general gym equipments. The only catch is the dumbells are max 20kg across all clubfitt gyms.