Singapore Expats

Singapore EP rejected..what to do next

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
josebhai

Singapore EP rejected..what to do next

Post by josebhai » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 2:39 pm

Hi all,
I am a Btech degree holder , software engineer from india. My company has employs with the same position for a salary of 3500 per month.
i was offered 3750 per month but I got my application rejected saying that reason " the candiadte doesnot qualify for EP because my salary is low " as per MOM guidelines 3750 i am elgible for Q1 pass atleast. Why did they reject mine.

When i did self assessment using SAT tool of MOM i provided the above salary 3750 per month it showed that i am qualified for S pass . But when i provided above 4100 salary per month, it say qualified ofr EP pass.

Should i appeal again by revising my salary or
just appeal with my HR with the valuable documents or testimonials about me from the company?

Please any one help

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 4:30 pm

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx
Older applicants would have to command higher salaries to qualify, commensurate with the work experience and quality they are expected to bring
How old are you and how many years of experience?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 4:45 pm

Also, please remember the guidelines are only those that qualify your application for acceptance of your application to be considered. It is NOT a guideline for necessarily getting the EP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 8:42 pm

Should have ticked the "S Pass if EP is rejected" field (or sth like that).

But it is worrying that the practice now is a very opaque set of criteria, which effectively puts the minimum salary around 3.5-4K. If they want a minimum salary of $4K for EP, why don't they just say so?

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 9:04 pm

Unfortunately from my experience, if you have been rejected for an EP it is very hard to get that changed. You need to wait for a while and reapply. If you now simply re-apply with a new salary level, they will think that you are scamming them.
Sad but unfortunately, not much option

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 9:16 pm

AngMoG wrote:Should have ticked the "S Pass if EP is rejected" field (or sth like that).

But it is worrying that the practice now is a very opaque set of criteria, which effectively puts the minimum salary around 3.5-4K. If they want a minimum salary of $4K for EP, why don't they just say so?
If it does that, it allows bot the employee and the employer to game the system. I know too many that have. They want as much opacity as possible in order to tweak the system overnight if they have to. They will continue to do this until the get the local SMEs to start hiring locals over the preferred foreigners (not necessarily cheaper but usually a lot more productive than the local who thinks his position isn't a job but an entitlement.).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: If it does that, it allows bot the employee and the employer to game the system. I know too many that have. They want as much opacity as possible in order to tweak the system overnight if they have to. They will continue to do this until the get the local SMEs to start hiring locals over the preferred foreigners (not necessarily cheaper but usually a lot more productive than the local who thinks his position isn't a job but an entitlement.).
But increasing minimum salary requirements doesn't provide any added incentive for companies to higher locals - if anything it gives more power to locals to demand higher salaries (which in turn leads straight back to your point about entitlement)

I do believe companies should higher locals whenever possible (despite me not being a local) but its not always possible (in many cases because of a lack of interest on the part of locals)...in that case, company either ends up with massive turnover and layoffs or worse, ends up closing or relocating (as so many seem to be doing of late)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:46 pm

Perxactly. I suffer from that all the time as locals hate my industry, but beg us to be there Johnny on the Spot and all hours of the day and night, on call. We have no real choice but to hire foreigners and then MOM keeps cutting our quotas and then they wonder why there is a dengue epidemic. :roll:

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:53 pm

Well I have worked with a few startups here so I can understand exactly what you are going through - starting a company as a foreigner is probably the second (if not "the") hardest thing in SG after looking for a job as a foreigner in this market

I can only wish you luck mate...hope you do well!

josebhai

Post by josebhai » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 12:54 am

Wd40 wrote:http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx
Older applicants would have to command higher salaries to qualify, commensurate with the work experience and quality they are expected to bring
How old are you and how many years of experience?

i am 25 years old and have 2.6 years of experience in IT.

My rejection letter also has an information that, i can demand higher salary and ask an appeal to MOM after checking the assessment in SAT. Will that work out ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 1:07 am

Only if the employer is willing to spend more on you. Even then it's not a guarantee.

josebhai

Post by josebhai » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 1:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Only if the employer is willing to spend more on you. Even then it's not a guarantee.
This is the reason given in my letter
"If you still choose to employ this candidate , do consoder is he/she is able to command higher salary for the value he/she offers . Before you do , use MOM self assessment tool to work out what you would pay this candidate for us to consider your appeal."

Doe this give an guarantee that if i appeal with an hike in my salary , will i get my EP approved or they might reject with different reason ?

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 1:17 am

There is never a guarantee that your ep application will be approved - if they want/need a reason to reject your ep, they'll find it.

That said, this letter does reduce the chances of that happening - but again, there's no guarantee

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:15 am

josebhai wrote:Doe this give an guarantee that if i appeal with an hike in my salary , will i get my EP approved or they might reject with different reason ?
Having gone through a similar mess, years ago, if your employer is willing to appeal and offer a pay of something like 4,500, then you do stand a chance of being considered.

Years ago, a simple letter that "our new Foreign talent will knowledge transfer and leave Singapore .. " worked wonders. Not any more ..

Though MOM has been looking at revision of pay more positively as the loopholes to scam by declaring a higher pay are getting reduced, with compulsory bank payment and more closer monitoring of transactions etc.

WD40: The MOM Link, on first glance, appeared as http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-.....fault.aspx

Did bring out a smile .. (fault.aspx)

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
AngMoG wrote:Should have ticked the "S Pass if EP is rejected" field (or sth like that).

If it does that, it allows bot the employee and the employer to game the system. I know too many that have. They want as much opacity as possible in order to tweak the system overnight if they have to. They will continue to do this until the get the local SMEs to start hiring locals over the preferred foreigners (not necessarily cheaper but usually a lot more productive than the local who thinks his position isn't a job but an entitlement.).
Opaque rules are rarely good for anyone, in my experience. With clear rules, at least one knows what's expected, and can plan accordingly. With opaque rules, it's trial and error, which when we are talking about hiring, can delay the process for months.

Even being a foreigner, I think if they want to "level the playing field", they need to have foreigners cost as much as, or slightly more than, locals. I.e., if you hire a local, as a company you pay salary + 15% CPF (I think it was at 15% at least). For a PR, the CPF is capped. For a foreigner on EP/S-Pass, it's salary only + a small levy; why not instead make the levy at the same 15%, or even at 20%, or salary? And maybe add min quotas for SCs? That would make it transparent, but of course it would also increase cost of business significantly. Obviously, it would not remove the "sense of entitlement" problem per se.

Of course, there may be some fear that if they really make some hard rules like that, it will drive many businesses away. I say, they are already driving business away anyway, and having clear but painful rules would be a way of doing damage control.