Singapore Expats

PR sponsored by spouse and NS

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Eddie the Eagle

PR sponsored by spouse and NS

Post by Eddie the Eagle » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 12:53 pm

I am considering applying for PR after my EP got rejected and I had to downgrade to S-pass. Since my EP got rejected I guess the chances of getting PR under the PTS scheme are slim. However, my wife is a Singapore citizen, and I also have a son with her (who has dual citizenship) so I believe I should qualify for PR with her as a sponsor.

Everywhere on official web pages I find statements such as this: "Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents, unless exempted, are liable to register for [NS] .... Main applicants who are granted PR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. .... NS-liable PRs are expected to serve NS."

At the same time, I seem to recall the defense minister stating something like "first generation PR's [of any scheme] are excepted from NS by the discretionary grace of MINDEF".

So what is actually Singapore's official policy here? Does the official policy differ from the actual policy? I know that first-generation PR's are required to register for NS. Has any of them ever been required to actually serve it? Also, can an excemption from NS be revoked (if, say, Indonesia suddenly declares war on Singapore)? Also, does Singapore take it into consideration at all that it's illegal according to my home country's laws to register for NS in another state? Finally, are there any sources on the web which clarify this issue, instead of just repeating the Government's ambiguous statements?

I find their statement problematic because if all first-generation PRs truly are exempted, then why not state that? So either, they want to be able to ask non-PTS PRs to join the army in some hypothetical situation, or this is a symbolic law.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:38 pm

You will not have to do NS

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:43 pm

So what is actually Singapore's official policy here? Does the official policy differ from the actual policy? I know that first-generation PR's are required to register for NS. Has any of them ever been required to actually serve it? Also, can an excemption from NS be revoked (if, say, Indonesia suddenly declares war on Singapore)? Also, does Singapore take it into consideration at all that it's illegal according to my home country's laws to register for NS in another state? Finally, are there any sources on the web which clarify this issue, instead of just repeating the Government's ambiguous statements?

I find their statement problematic because if all first-generation PRs truly are exempted, then why not state that? So either, they want to be able to ask non-PTS PRs to join the army in some hypothetical situation, or this is a symbolic law.
Yes, you can be required to undergo NS. In fact, Family Ties 1st Gen PR may be given less exemptions in the future, but not necessarily doing actual NS but maybe in some other form like some sort of community service.

Most are given waivers but the waiver can always be rescinded if necessary. That's the chance you take. If you become a 1st Gen PR and say you are only in your early to mid 20's there is a good likelihood of being called up, but if you are over say 26, the chances are slim. Of course, should there be an emergency, e.g., confrontation with Malaysia or Indonesia, then yes, there will be always a provision to allow for any waivers to be called in. Those in the PTS or Investors are only given PR because of what they can bring to Singapore therefore it would make no sense to have them taken away from that which was the ONLY reason for them getting PR in the first place.

However, if you come as the spouse of a Singapore girl, they figure if you can play you can pay if necessary. First Gen PR under the Family Ties are not "exempted" but waivered only. If you find it problematic, I would suggest you do not take up PR and you take your local bride elsewhere where you don't have to worry so much. But it is, however remote it is currently, a fact that will not go away. If you are over 30 the odds are very much against it except in wartime setting. But as a PR you would have already done a runner anyway, by the sounds of it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:58 pm

Wow really!

Eddie the Eagle

Post by Eddie the Eagle » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: But as a PR you would have already done a runner anyway, by the sounds of it.
Thank you sundaymorningstaple for an extensive answer. But I don't get your last sentence. I'm 32 by the way.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 2:34 pm

Most PR's, even the diehard ones who have gone through 4 or 5 recessions here, at the first sign of trouble, of the invasion kind, would be outta here in a minute should they have a Plan B. (and most do)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wkwoods

Post by wkwoods » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 5:41 pm

I think if I was back in the US and the Chinese or Russians were about to Nuke us, I'd be on the first plane to New Zealand.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Jul 2013 6:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most PR's, even the diehard ones who have gone through 4 or 5 recessions here, at the first sign of trouble, of the invasion kind, would be outta here in a minute should they have a Plan B. (and most do)
I'd be stealing a boat.

joannajane
Regular
Regular

Post by joannajane » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:59 am

how does your son have dual citizenship??

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 3:03 pm

joannajane wrote:how does your son have dual citizenship??
All kids of Singaporean-Foreigner couples can have dual citizenship until 21 years old.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 4:01 pm

When I got PR back in 93 I had to report to the MINDEF building to obtain a waiver for NS. It was not automatic but assumed to be so.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 5:20 pm

When I got my PR I didn't have to do anything as I was well over 40 anyway! :(

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 7:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:When I got my PR I didn't have to do anything as I was well over 40 anyway! :(
They'd have made you a civil defense guy at that age.... fireman for example.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 8:50 pm

Nope. Nothing. Or didn't you read my response? I didn't have to register due to being over 40. ](*,)

joannajane
Regular
Regular

Post by joannajane » Fri, 12 Jul 2013 10:30 am

beppi wrote:
joannajane wrote:how does your son have dual citizenship??
All kids of Singaporean-Foreigner couples can have dual citizenship until 21 years old.
oh really!!! i didn't know that. and then you have to choose? heh.