Singapore Expats

Dependant visa paperwork question

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
alufolie

Dependant visa paperwork question

Post by alufolie » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 11:57 am

Hello All,

My husband just completed his application for his P1 pass and is currently processing the application for my & daughters dependant visa. He said that it's a requirement that I need to provide my original education transcripts. I don't have them (just copies that i have scanned on my laptop) and I'm sure it will take awhile to obtain these & we're moving to Singapore now in just over 3 weeks now. Does anyone know if copies are OK to provide to process a visa? Will someone need to sight the originals? Thnks in advance

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: Dependant visa paperwork question

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:16 pm

alufolie wrote:Hello All,

My husband just completed his application for his P1 pass and is currently processing the application for my & daughters dependant visa. He said that it's a requirement that I need to provide my original education transcripts. I don't have them (just copies that i have scanned on my laptop) and I'm sure it will take awhile to obtain these & we're moving to Singapore now in just over 3 weeks now. Does anyone know if copies are OK to provide to process a visa? Will someone need to sight the originals? Thnks in advance
The impression I get is that if any documents such as birth, marriage, education certificates, etc. are required to be presented, then you always need to show the original documents as well as provide copies (which are then stamped and retained, leaving you with the originals to take away). From other posts on this board in recent months / years, it seems that there has been a strong effort to tackle falsification of documents - to be clear, I'm not accusing you of that of course. So I would assume that you need to show the original documents.

Having said that, when my employer originally applied for my (P1) EP and my family's DPs (all at the same time), only my educational documents were required, and not those of my wife or children. It's entirely possible that things have changed since then, given that this was around nine years ago. But you might want to get your husband's employer to confirm that with the MOM. For P1 passes, the emphasis is (in theory at least) less on the educational background and more on the salary amount, so perhaps you will be OK without having to get your original docs. Only the MOM can 100% confirm that though.
Be careful what you wish for

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:24 pm

Mi Amigo wrote: Having said that, when my employer originally applied for my (P1) EP and my family's DPs (all at the same time), only my educational documents were required, and not those of my wife or children. It's entirely possible that things have changed since then, given that this was around nine years ago. But you might want to get your husband's employer to confirm that with the MOM.
For online submission, do they submit the documents or the HR is asking for the sake of asking ?? I guess copy would suffice ..

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:25 pm

ecureilx wrote:For online submission, do they submit the documents or the HR is asking for the sake of asking ?? I guess copy would suffice ..
Good question; my application was done the old-fashioned way with paper forms, etc. Not sure what happens in the case of online applications.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:35 pm

For online applications, you are required to bring in original documents when you collect your pass.
I do not believe it usual to ask for the wife's documents when she is to be a dependants pass holder only. Perhaps, as you say it is the employer asking, or the OP has misunderstood.
However, if it does turn out that you are required by MOM to provide the documents they must be in original (with a copy). You may be able to sign a statutory declaration setting out the circumstances as to why you only have copies - but I suggest that as you appear to be making your application from your home country, it is unusual that you do not have the originals to hand.
For Employment pass, I was required not only to show my original degrees but also my transcripts.
They can be very strict and if it is asked for in a letter from MOM, you must comply. The man or lady behind the counter will not have the power to ignore the request.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 1:37 pm

I fear our responses have been a little too late for the OP

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 2:18 pm

katbh wrote:I fear our responses have been a little too late for the OP
Oops.. yes....

When OP goes to collect, the letter will say what original is needed, though .. I would have all prepared as in the past, MOM/ICA asked to see documents that were not explicitly mentioned ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 2:58 pm

I have also heard that they are now requesting spousal educational qualifications as well. This is much different than, as katbh mentioned, some time ago. In fact, I think this is something that has only recently come into play, e.g., within the past couple, three years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

alufolie

Post by alufolie » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 6:20 pm

Hello, still here - - thanks for all the replies everyone :)

I'm not trying to avoid supplying an original - hubby starts work over there on the 22rd of july and the company has only just started to ask for paperwork for our visas (one requirement - Educational details and original educational documents of the DP applicant, if any) I'm just stressing because I don't have my originals yet and thus I feel I'm going to hold up our visas. The checklist of documentation required comes from the employer to process the visa via the MOM so I have no idea if the MOM requires the original docs or hubby's employer requires it...

if there is a new rule that dependents require tertiary qualifications, i will scream. :twisted:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 6:38 pm

Strange that they are asking for educational documents for DP. In our case, we didnt have to submit my wife educational documents at all and I have applied for EP and PEP atleast 3 fresh applications and couple of renewals in the last 4 years.

The only time wife's educational documents were needed was for PR application. Even there, it was kind of good to have, the ICA officer, didnt even insist for it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 8:39 pm

You were also rejected, correct? :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

alufolie

Post by alufolie » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 8:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You were also rejected, correct? :-|
me? no?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 04 Jul 2013 9:06 pm

alufolie wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You were also rejected, correct? :-|
me? no?
No, he was referring to WD40.
I say, SMS, a bit below the belt old boy, what what?

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Fri, 05 Jul 2013 10:58 am

alufolie wrote:Hello, still here - - thanks for all the replies everyone :)

I'm not trying to avoid supplying an original - hubby starts work over there on the 22rd of july and the company has only just started to ask for paperwork for our visas (one requirement - Educational details and original educational documents of the DP applicant, if any) I'm just stressing because I don't have my originals yet and thus I feel I'm going to hold up our visas. The checklist of documentation required comes from the employer to process the visa via the MOM so I have no idea if the MOM requires the original docs or hubby's employer requires it...

if there is a new rule that dependents require tertiary qualifications, i will scream. :twisted:
It is not advisable to scream at the HR or the MOM officer here. :-|

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 05 Jul 2013 3:51 pm

We did ours in January. They only needed birth, marriage and passports for me and the children. Only husband needed his educational certs.