Singapore Expats

Easy weight loss - need advice

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 9:43 am

I don't think my diet had any more than 800 calories / day either for that matter. As to whether is was good or not? I had more energy than I've had in years - But the stamina wasn't there, obviously. I did lose some muscle mass but it not something that couldn't be rebuilt after the diet without the heavy coating of fat making it all that much harder (if not giving myself a heart attack trying to do so). If the diet is balanced, and the dieter follows the advice given, then the serotonin levels of the brain are altered so that you really don't feel hungry at all. Worked for me to the tune of 25kg in 22 weeks. From 94 kg & a 40" waist to 69kg & a 31" waist.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:31 am

After some time you don't feel hungry even for the most simple low cal diets. For me the problem is I can operate like in two modes only - eat too much, or eat too little. Apparently I have some eating disorder but I was overweighted practically my whole life so this is probably why. Few years before I came to Singapore I decided that this was probably last moment something should be done about it and I lost over 45kilos in half a year just by eating less. I maintained it without much difficulty for next 5 years and then I came here and all problems started.

YaninSing

Post by YaninSing » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 10:38 pm

Just to share, I never thought I had to lose weight as I am not fat per se plus i do cardio weekly and eat pretty healthily, but after going on a machine that reads one's BMI, skeletal muscles, visceral fat and body age, am surprised that my body fat is slightly high for my age group and what sadden me most was my body age, which is 3years beyond my chronological age!! Thank goodness my visceral fat reading is at 4, which is good. Visceral fat are the fats surrounding the body internal organs and these are the most difficult to rid off and if the VF reading goes beyond 9 (if I remember correctly) then it's means your internal organs are covered with fats which can easily leads to other health issues ie. high cholesterol etc.

So I was recommended this 90days patented diet program known as TRA (The Right Approach) that teaches one what to eat plus with some supplementation, light exercise (for those who doesn't exercise at all) and weekly checking by the coach on my progress which includes taking my body fats etc, am glad to say after 7days, my body fat percentage Went down and body age down by 1year...am into my 2nd week and counting....

charcoalwhisk

Post by charcoalwhisk » Wed, 17 Jul 2013 5:08 pm

I just joined this and realised that there are so many are in the same boat as me.

I have gained like almost 10kg after 6 months in my new job! After I am more or less stabilised with the routine of my work, I started out my weight loss plan.

Exercise:
- Jogging (Sunday, Wednesday)
- Yoga (Monday)
- Personal training (Thursday)

My diet is very simple to follow.

Breakfast (around 7.30am): Oat, egg, milk.

I have 2 lunches. So, I just get what I like to eat and ration into 2 portion.
Lunch 1 (10am): Usually smaller portion
Lunch 2 (1pm): My lunch with colleagues

Tea break (3pm): coffee and 2 cookies.

5pm: cereal drink

Dinner: 1 cup of boiled vegetables.

I lost 3kg in 4 months, but I do feel a bit lethargic. I am a strong believer in Traditional Chinese Medicine since I was a kid, so I took TCM to complement my weight loss. I had acupuncture! LOL! I also had cupping which the physician says that to help me "break up the stubborn fats cells and improve my metabolic rate". In fact, I lost some inches on my troubled spots (tummy fats!!!) which my personal trainer sort of given up hope, I think. LOL.

Min627

Post by Min627 » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 10:33 pm

I tried this product "Bios Life Slim" & loss 8kgs in 2 month.
This product is totally organic. no side effect and make my body more healthy than before.

https://www.facebook.com/Unicitybioslim

maidsrch

Post by maidsrch » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:21 pm

This thread looks like the right place to post my progress on the Cohen diet.

Back in April in this year, I came across SMS' thread on how he achieved his amazing weight loss and got rid of all his medication for HBP & Gout.
Having been overweight - correction, obese - for nearly 10 years of my life (I am 31), I've always dreamt of having a normal BMI. But that was a daunting task. I mean, i am 5'3 and i weighed 87.4 kg. Thats a BMI of 33.3, and the upper end of my normal BMI was at 24.8.
Trying to make an attempt at light jogging would leave my joints crying in pain, not to mention breathlessness and a sharp pain under my ribcage. The best I could manage was brisk walking, but that wasnt fun either.
I tried the calorie counting thing, but couldnt keep it up for long, and wasnt really effective for me.

So there i was in April 2013, sitting and wallowing in self pity about my weight and feeling very irritated at how singapore shops dont stock clothes in big sizes. I mean, an Asian 'XXL' size is as good as an US 'M' size. Which meant, i had to spend more money on clothing as my choices were restricted to few shops like Marks & Spencers, Dorothy Perkins etc.

SMS told me about his diet, and some invaluable advice on how this is not just a diet, but a lifestyle change. I did some more research before signing up. Just a week shy of 6 months, today morning my scale shows 63.0 kg. Thats 24.3 kg gone.
Ofcourse, I still have a good way to go before reaching my goal weight range of 53-56 kg. I am aiming for 53, so am still a good 10 kg away.

I had lots of doubt when i started this diet - in my mind, numbers such as 20 kg loss, 15 kg loss etc. sounded too preposterous to be true. That has now changed - I've seen what the diet can do, i am seeing the results in front of the mirror every day. I still have doubts about whether I have the strength to stick on to maintenance guidelines when i get to that stage, but I hope i stick to the plan.

To SMS - Thank you so very much. You've been a life saver.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:41 pm

Congratulations on your journey so far! :cool:

I am glad you heeded my advice as far as the mindset required for the program. But you never thought, in your wildest dreams, just how easy the program actually is in order to accomplish the outstanding weight losses possible. Glad to hear you are moving right along towards your goal. You are becoming a "New You" for sure! ;-)

Maintenance, if you will read my historical journey on the other site, is a series of mini-experiments that you tip-toe into. It's also where you have to be the most careful as it's when you think, "Whew! I've made it! I deserve a reward!", which, obviously isn't a good idea as you will cause an insulin spike and could trigger a binge that can be difficult to stop. ( A better reward is a new wardrobe! ;-) Forewarned is forearmed! You are doing well, and I have no fear you will reach goal in due course. I'm really glad for you.

SMS
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 6:15 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibutramine
Sibutramine (usually in the form of the hydrochloride monohydrate salt) is an oral anorexiant. Until 2010 it was marketed and prescribed as an adjunct in the treatment of exogenous obesity along with diet and exercise. It has been associated with increased cardiovascular events and strokes and has been withdrawn from the market in countries and regions including Australia,[2] Canada,[3] China,[4] the European Union (EU),[5] Hong Kong,[6] India,[7] Mexico, New Zealand,[8] Thailand,[9] the United Kingdom,[10] and the United States.[11]
Sibutramine was originally developed and marketed by Knoll Pharmaceuticals and was most recently manufactured and marketed by Abbott Laboratories before its withdrawal from the market. It was sold under a variety of brand names including Reductil, Meridia and Sibutrex. It is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance in the United States.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Twostep

Post by Twostep » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 1:22 pm

maidsrch wrote:This thread looks like the right place to post my progress on the Cohen diet.

Back in April in this year, I came across SMS' thread on how he achieved his amazing weight loss and got rid of all his medication for HBP & Gout.
Having been overweight - correction, obese - for nearly 10 years of my life (I am 31), I've always dreamt of having a normal BMI. But that was a daunting task. I mean, i am 5'3 and i weighed 87.4 kg. Thats a BMI of 33.3, and the upper end of my normal BMI was at 24.8.
Trying to make an attempt at light jogging would leave my joints crying in pain, not to mention breathlessness and a sharp pain under my ribcage. The best I could manage was brisk walking, but that wasnt fun either.
I tried the calorie counting thing, but couldnt keep it up for long, and wasnt really effective for me.

So there i was in April 2013, sitting and wallowing in self pity about my weight and feeling very irritated at how singapore shops dont stock clothes in big sizes. I mean, an Asian 'XXL' size is as good as an US 'M' size. Which meant, i had to spend more money on clothing as my choices were restricted to few shops like Marks & Spencers, Dorothy Perkins etc.

SMS told me about his diet, and some invaluable advice on how this is not just a diet, but a lifestyle change. I did some more research before signing up. Just a week shy of 6 months, today morning my scale shows 63.0 kg. Thats 24.3 kg gone.
Ofcourse, I still have a good way to go before reaching my goal weight range of 53-56 kg. I am aiming for 53, so am still a good 10 kg away.

I had lots of doubt when i started this diet - in my mind, numbers such as 20 kg loss, 15 kg loss etc. sounded too preposterous to be true. That has now changed - I've seen what the diet can do, i am seeing the results in front of the mirror every day. I still have doubts about whether I have the strength to stick on to maintenance guidelines when i get to that stage, but I hope i stick to the plan.

To SMS - Thank you so very much. You've been a life saver.

That is really great, well done and keep going for the final 10kg.

Twostep

Post by Twostep » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 1:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I see lots of advice on this thread from lots of people, but damn little results of following that advice. Anybody got any results they want to share? From Jan 2008 to June 2008 in the space of 20 weeks I lost 25 kg. I went from 94 kg down to 69 kg and while I was int the transformation stage from diet to maintenance I lost an additional kg down to 68. Within a couple of weeks I stabilized at 69.5 kg. I'm one month shy of being three years since my diet finished. I weighed myself Monday morning and I weigh 70.8kg.

I've put up my results and long term results as well. I also had some major health benefits as well (aside from the weight loss) Anybody else want to put their results out there for scrutiny?

Here's my story as and when it happened.........

I am a new Man! \:D/
sms - I stumbled on this thread and I'm so glad I did! I think you've done yourself a huge favour and made a choice that changed your life/ health for the better ( which I know you know, but just wanted to say ).

Thank you for sharing. I'm still reading through all the posts with keen interest. It's a motivational tool for sure ( which I need).

Thank you.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 5:09 pm

An interesting story on how a pair of twin doctors utilised their similar genetic make up to find out what diet is good/bad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... -life.html
Identical twins like us are extremely useful in experiments because we have exactly the same genes. This means any changes we observed would be due to the diets and not genetics.
I went on a no-carbohydrate diet - essentially no sugar - and Chris went on an extremely low-fat diet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2rmDARptv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 5:42 pm

To go along with that debate is this little nugget.....

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/819232_1

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 6:56 pm

the lynx wrote:An interesting story on how a pair of twin doctors utilised their similar genetic make up to find out what diet is good/bad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... -life.html
Identical twins like us are extremely useful in experiments because we have exactly the same genes. This means any changes we observed would be due to the diets and not genetics.
I went on a no-carbohydrate diet - essentially no sugar - and Chris went on an extremely low-fat diet.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2rmDARptv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
I wonder why you even look at this delirium which has nothing to do with any science.

sgloveyourselffitness

Lose Weight / Tone Up Effectively

Post by sgloveyourselffitness » Sun, 09 Feb 2014 4:32 pm

You can combine your cardio workout ( jumping jack, kicking exercise, jogging )

Together with resistant training like push up, dumbbell exercises (toning and boast up your metabolic rate).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Feb 2014 5:52 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc...