Singapore Expats

Where to buy pump, timer, drip hoses etc for balcony plants?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
jg161

Where to buy pump, timer, drip hoses etc for balcony plants?

Post by jg161 » Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:22 pm

Hello all,

Just inherited a bunch of plants for the balcony - but alas there is no tap and I need to travel O/S soon enough that must get my hands on a watering solution this weekend.

I have read a couple of posts on this forum that advise to head to Thomson road, but after searching around online I can't quite be sure they have what I want.

Does anyone on the forum know of any shops which definitely sell the basics of tank based watering, including timer, low voltage pump, drip nozzles/pipes, pressure reg. etc?

I have found some options online, but they don't quite do what I need and/or amount to the same amount of $ of building something from scratch.

As noted, no tap nozzle on balcony so looking for known shops of pumps for watering plants.

my plants and I thank you in advance! :)

-jg

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 7:05 am

I did not notice anything like this in any of the plant nurseries. I made one myself some time ago based on a fish tank pump, standard gardening piping/connectors and standard timer (all 220V). If you have to stick to low voltage you could buy a timer of this type:

(they are available in a few place, also fully electronic ones)

and run the whole thing based on gravity flow so you will have to have the water container above the timer.
The only other ad hoc option I could see is using the capillary/dripping set like this:

The nurseries sell them but I have never used it so no idea how effective this could be.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 9:20 am

try this bunch they do free delivery and so far I have been happy with their service and products

http://www.gardensingapore.com/garden_f ... rod=WTS003

jg161

Post by jg161 » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 2:35 pm

x9200
thanks - unfortunately i have no tap available on the balcony. And the gravity feed bags are not big enough for the durations I am looking at. But the fish tank pump may be the way to go, will look into it.

QRM
thanks - i had found these guys and that Oasis thing is my backup plan

-jg

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 3:15 pm

jg161 wrote:x9200
thanks - unfortunately i have no tap available on the balcony. And the gravity feed bags are not big enough for the durations I am looking at. But the fish tank pump may be the way to go, will look into it.
Although I think QRM's solution is a good one (nothing like this I was able to find around a few years ago) you really don't need a tap for what I suggested with the timer. Just a plastic container, some standard connectors, hoses and the water valve timer.

You can also build this up using fish tank water pump the way I did it. It is really the simplest way. Buy a container (rectangular, i.e. 60x50x30cm, in any larger Giant), buy a small size fish tank pump (or few of them), hook up the pump to the ordinary timer, fill in the container with water and you are basically done.

jg161

Post by jg161 » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 5:54 pm

x9200 wrote:
jg161 wrote:x9200
You can also build this up using fish tank water pump the way I did it. It is really the simplest way. Buy a container (rectangular, i.e. 60x50x30cm, in any larger Giant), buy a small size fish tank pump (or few of them), hook up the pump to the ordinary timer, fill in the container with water and you are basically done.
thanks x9200, i think i will go that way - seems http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/ has some
decent price low volume submersible pumps with good enough head pressure for
pot plants on the ground.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Jul 2013 7:07 pm

I used this one before: http://freshnmarine.com.sg/ without any serious failure.
It would be good if you manage to get a float switch

to be on the safe side but if you do your calculation properly this should be also ok without one.

Finnblake

Re: Where to buy pump, timer, drip hoses etc for balcony plants?

Post by Finnblake » Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:22 am

Just following up on this... is there anywhere I can buy drip irrigation, 12mm poly pipe and fittings, Pope or Holman DIY irrigation products?

There’s plenty in all the gardens but where can I source for my balcony?

Finnblake

Re: Where to buy pump, timer, drip hoses etc for balcony plants?

Post by Finnblake » Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:36 am

Hmmm this might be a starter... https://g.co/kgs/Xb62Fz