Singapore Expats

Free coin exchange

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Free coin exchange

Post by Splatted » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 7:24 pm

Ok, firstly, i'm not affiliated with the Singapore Mint in any way, so please don't flame me as a spammer

But for those that have a huge stockpile of coins they want to change to notes, you can now do it for free at the Singapore mint:

Where: The Singapore Mint
Address: 20 Teban Gardens Cresent
Date: 11 June to 17 June
Time: 10am to 5pm

Only 2nd generation coins, ie floral design.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:16 pm

Good to know. Thanks. Last time POSB whacked me for 8 bucks to change 2200 $1 coins to currency. Think I'm up to around 1400 at the moment with another 5 or 600 50 cent pieces!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good to know. Thanks. Last time POSB whacked me for 8 bucks to change 2200 $1 coins to currency. Think I'm up to around 1400 at the moment with another 5 or 600 50 cent pieces!
Hi sundaymorningstaple,

I think if you have that many (ie over $100) they actually pay you at a later date rather than on the spot - You either get paid by GIRO or cheque for large coin quantities. Sorry, I only just noticed the fine print. =(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:57 pm

:( bummer!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:27 pm

Because the banks charge for change here you will often find that your local hawker food stalls will gladly exchange your change for notes as you both circumvent the bank's charges. :D

Not sure they will accept 2200 dollar coins though!

That must be a massive change jar you have back home SMS! :o
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 1:15 pm

SMS,

You may get your neices or nephews to count them and get them exchanged in small denomination as an appreciation for being good.
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 2:40 pm

Hey, don't give 'em ideas, one of them frequents this board (although my niece she an adult now) as a regular poster! Not telling who though.

That's MY jar for being good. Takes around 3 years to fill it and that is usually just about right for a new PC or airfare to the Farm in Maryland! :mrgreen:

It's a small copper-bottomed stainless steel spittoon around 6 to 7" in diameter but never used as one!

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 2:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
It's a small copper-bottomed stainless steel spittoon around 6 to 7" in diameter but never used as one!
Ha ha...speaking of spittoons...

I got a smack on the head once when I was young....and suggested my mum to have a spittoon next to my bed as I was too lazy to get up and walk to the wash to spit each time I coughed. (was sick then)

Anyways, you got me curious...wonder who your neice is..

I suppose it has to be an Indian lady
- Sapphire?
- GC?
Dont knw any others...
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

christoscy

coins

Post by christoscy » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 8:29 pm

Keeping a piggy bank does actually built up good amounts, i always used leave coin change for tips until a jewish friend of mine suggested that i keep them in a large vase then cash them after a long period,then invest that amount into something that can produce more money.I guess every penny counts these days...
I ll try been nicer if you try been smarter!!!

changee

Changing coins to notes

Post by changee » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 6:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good to know. Thanks. Last time POSB whacked me for 8 bucks to change 2200 $1 coins to currency. Think I'm up to around 1400 at the moment with another 5 or 600 50 cent pieces!
Hilo!

I require change on a regular basis and will be willing to exchange your 2200 worth of change. We can get the notes checked and verifed with the banks if you are in any doubt.

Do contact me at devonsim (at) gmail.com

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 7:03 pm

goodness, this thread is OLD

johnlaikp

i need coins ! no charges for you and me.

Post by johnlaikp » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 12:06 pm

i need coins ! no charges for you and me.
I still need coins !!!!
NO charges for you and me.
please contact me at 90993312.
thank you very much.
Lets become coin exchange partner !!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 02 Jul 2013 8:53 am

I have so far managed to keep the coins to manageable levels, by following the below technique:

1)While buying small price items like less than $3, always pay with coins. I always take a small bunch of coins with me while going out.

2)While buying big price items try paying as far as possible using cards(credit cards 1st priority and debit card(nets) next priority where they dont accept CCs)

I would never pay money to exchange my coins for notes, unless I need to leave SG for good ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 02 Jul 2013 9:15 am

He needs coins ! no charges for you and him.
He still needs coins !!!!
NO charges for you and him.

Do you like rap music?
http://youtu.be/r-zlkOg6_Zw

Not the best advice WD40.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 02 Jul 2013 9:47 am

Haha, my post wasnt in response to JohnLaikp :)
I just find it amusing, when my colleagues tell me, they have a big bin full of coins and dont know what to do about it.

There was one time, when I went to buy the newspaper(yes the bird cage liner) and paid 5c X 20 coins, you should have seen the expression on the lady's face :lol: