Singapore Expats

overseas PR renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sonny

overseas PR renewal

Post by sonny » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 2:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a EP holder. My wife is a PR since 2010. She has been working and contributing to CPF/IRS as a normal PR for more than 3 years.

Currently she wants to go so study a master in US for 2 years, I will probably accompany her. Our concern is that her PR is only valid until early 2015. This means she will have to renew the PR while studying the last semester. Given that my PR application got rejected, I am really concerned with the chance of her oversea renewal, just afraid that the race/employment (early election year or whatever) might kick in and we will lose her PR.

We really want to go back to Singapore after her study as we spent most of our adult life (~5 years) here but having both on EP is really the least desirable choice.

Appreciate the advice from anyone with experience on the situation.

Regards,

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 3:33 pm

Even without taking race into account: A PR based on work (PTS scheme) can only renew his REP if the he is working in Singapore at the time of renewal.
I got this information directly from an ICA officer a few months ago. (Luckily I could convert my PR to family ties scheme and the REP was renewed.)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: overseas PR renewal

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 5:07 pm

sonny wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a EP holder. My wife is a PR since 2010. She has been working and contributing to CPF/IRS as a normal PR for more than 3 years.

Currently she wants to go so study a master in US for 2 years, I will probably accompany her. Our concern is that her PR is only valid until early 2015. This means she will have to renew the PR while studying the last semester. Given that my PR application got rejected, I am really concerned with the chance of her oversea renewal, just afraid that the race/employment (early election year or whatever) might kick in and we will lose her PR.

We really want to go back to Singapore after her study as we spent most of our adult life (~5 years) here but having both on EP is really the least desirable choice.

Appreciate the advice from anyone with experience on the situation.

Regards,
You didn't think about this before she went to the USA? PR's are not for collectiing, they are for using.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 5:19 pm

beppi wrote:Even without taking race into account: A PR based on work (PTS scheme) can only renew his REP if the he is working in Singapore at the time of renewal.
I got this information directly from an ICA officer a few months ago. (Luckily I could convert my PR to family ties scheme and the REP was renewed.)
Actually, when you submit for E-REP renewal, you have to provide details of the employer, and i am trying to recall if there was a choice to say "not employed in Singapore .. " :)

If the person is not working here at the time of renewal, I was told REP will be reduced to 1 year, and if you don't come here within the 1 year, no comments . the first part came from ICA .. and second part - they didn't want to put it officially !!!

sonny

Post by sonny » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 10:02 pm

ecureilx wrote: Actually, when you submit for E-REP renewal, you have to provide details of the employer, and i am trying to recall if there was a choice to say "not employed in Singapore .. " :)

If the person is not working here at the time of renewal, I was told REP will be reduced to 1 year, and if you don't come here within the 1 year, no comments . the first part came from ICA .. and second part - they didn't want to put it officially !!!
Thanks ecureilx,

I vaguely remember a case of 1-year PR. Bad part is that I couldn't find any official source. Please let us know if you remember anything. :cry:
Last edited by sonny on Tue, 02 Jul 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonny

Re: overseas PR renewal

Post by sonny » Tue, 02 Jul 2013 6:45 am

PNGMK wrote: You didn't think about this before she went to the USA? PR's are not for collectiing, they are for using.
Thanks PNGMK,

Does this mean PR holders cannot go to study for 2 years?

Btw, I wonder if studying in a local school makes any different?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 02 Jul 2013 7:25 am

I would recheck it with ICA. I renewed my REP this year and if I am not mistaken I vaguely recall at least one related question with some place to explain the reasons.
Studying in a local school unlikely makes it very different (it's lack of employment that hurts) but then you stay in Singapore so as long as you don't leave you have a chance of getting back your job on track and have the REP renewed.

In my opinion (just opinion, I have no any sort of evidence) I see no reason why ICA should be very harsh in cases like this. After all, they demonstrated not once and not twice that they appreciate well educated people, so if the study serves this purpose and it is within reasonable limits I would be surprised if this causes some ultimate troubles. I would just expect some inconvenience with a 2nd chance given.