Singapore Expats

water kiasuism

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

water kiasuism

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Jun 2013 7:18 pm

I used to live in a condo where some occupants sent their elderly parents to take shower using the swimming pool showers. IIRC There were also attempts to wash cloths and dishes. After a break, I am now apparently living in a condo where maids take or are sent to take water directly from the pool. Paying locally ~$1.2 per 1000l of water are these people complete idiots doing such things to save at best $3 a month? I would suspect in our current place is just another abuse of the maids, but for the first case?

sdkks

Post by sdkks » Sat, 29 Jun 2013 7:55 pm

Greed has no boundaries.

This reminded me of Marcus Crassus, he was maybe the richest man ever, but needed more and more until Parthians killed him pouring molten gold in his mouth.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 1:24 am

The water part of my bill is probably about $10 per month. Let it be $15 even, for two persons. How much can you save, really?

Considering how much the rent or purchase of a condo costs, that's just silly.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:58 am

It's not uncommon here. Occasionally it makes the news. Especially with locals and their maids being made to furnish their own water. Chinese Aunties here are particularly nasty in that respect. Not sure of the reasons why though, but I have read about that happening now and again over the years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 2:35 pm

It's hard to believe it is greed. It looks more like something on stupidity, lack of common sense or just plain abuse.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 3:21 pm

Probably a combination of all three. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 3:28 pm

I concur.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: water kiasuism

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:05 pm

x9200 wrote:I used to live in a condo where some occupants sent their elderly parents to take shower using the swimming pool showers. IIRC There were also attempts to wash cloths and dishes. After a break, I am now apparently living in a condo where maids take or are sent to take water directly from the pool. Paying locally ~$1.2 per 1000l of water are these people complete idiots doing such things to save at best $3 a month? I would suspect in our current place is just another abuse of the maids, but for the first case?
This topic come up regularly in our MC meetings. Fortunately our situation is just the usual maids being sent to the public showers.... we've let it slide but yeah - elderly parents would be over the top. I'd suggest complaining directly to the property manager.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:09 pm

I am at a loss. Seriously? What are they using the chlorinated, pissed in water for? Laundry?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:31 pm

Hannie, you would be surprised to know how Aunties can subjugate a maid, just to constantly let them know who is the boss. Often the tenants, be they local or foreign put their stamp on maids from the get go. This is why, when you DO actually hear about a main retaliating, it's pretty serious, e.g., usually a death involved as they take the crap until they literally crack.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:38 pm

I sense and I most certainly hear my neighbours talk to their ladies. Next door beep their horn rather than opening the gates themselves.

I don't get it. But I'm not sure it's just local. My new lady asked about nylon uniforms and whether she had to wait to eat because sometimes if people are out it can be after 11pm. And she's coming from countrymen. Even amongst people I know there is a touch of if you are nice they'll take advantage. Which is bullshit. People who take advantage will do it regardless.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 2:58 pm

Family friends visited us on CNY (Vietnamese NY to them) and brought their maid to watch their kid. I made a plate of food for her and had her eat with us, and she had a look of fear on her face looking to our friends to see if it was OK. They let her, but then I listened to the woman lecture me for 10 minutes after the maid finished and left the room on how you have to set limits on maids, and then told me everything she's ever done wrong.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 3:07 pm

Jeez. The lady we have starting has stated she would rather eat alone and I'm not comfortable with it. If it's because of professional boundaries and a desire for peace then great but I suspect it's not. Dunno what to do there.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 3:15 pm

x9200 wrote:It's hard to believe it is greed. It looks more like something on stupidity, lack of common sense or just plain abuse.
My friends visiting from Germany last weekend were surprised by the number of gantries they see EVERYWHERE (MRT, ERP, office tower lobby, library, supermarkets etc). Where they come from, there is no turnstile in their train network system. Germans were expected to get their tickets and just walk over. People could have just walked into the trains without buying tickets.

A local friend explained, "This is Asia. Everyone here will take advantage of EVERY single thing ALL THE TIME."

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 3:40 pm

The trolley dollars too. In the UK only some supermarkets very close to large housing estates demand a coin. It's stupid, if I wanted to take one home that much I'd gladly pay a dollar for it.