Singapore Expats

same sex spouse of Singapore citizen -- DP / LTVP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
rwc2013

same sex spouse of Singapore citizen -- DP / LTVP

Post by rwc2013 » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:35 am

I am a Singapore citizen residing in the US. I have been approached by a MNC with a job opportunity in Singapore. Is it likely my US citizen partner of 6 years (soon to be wife -- we will get married now that same-sex marriage is legal again in California and DOMA is history) will be able to obtain a DP or LTVP? We are also exploring job opportunities for her and getting her in on her own employment pass but would like to know if a DP or LTVP is completely out of the picture.

I have read a number of the relevant forum threads and was only able to locate one that involved a Singapore citizen. In that case, the couple was not married and there was no follow up post with the final outcome.

Thanks much.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: same sex spouse of Singapore citizen -- DP / LTVP

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:02 am

rwc2013 wrote: I have read a number of the relevant forum threads and was only able to locate one that involved a Singapore citizen. In that case, the couple was not married and there was no follow up post with the final outcome.
I remember that post. It was implied the company attorneys worked something out for them, and I suspect they were told to keep quiet about it because thats what attorneys tell everyone to do.

This is rather uncharted territory, but I suspect you'll be able to apply for a LTVP with a marriage certificate.

Forgive me if I'm blunt or incorrect, but are you both women since you said 'wife'? (I do know someone who calls himself the 'wife' between him and his partner, but he's mostly joking). Anyway, homosexual acts are criminalized between men in Singapore, not women. If you are women, you'll have an easier time most likely in general. If you're men, just be aware no PDAs, etc.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:07 pm

Let us know how you go please.

rwc2013

Post by rwc2013 » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 8:08 am

zzm9980 -- Thanks for the reply. Yes, we are both women.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:16 am

rwc2013 wrote:zzm9980 -- Thanks for the reply. Yes, we are both women.
You might make it then as granting you permission is not contra to the law against male - male intercourse.