Singapore Expats

Why all the Nazi stickers on cars and bikes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 8:52 pm

There are more than one type of rising run flag

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_Flag

This is the one using during WWII

This is present Japan Ground Self-Defense Force flag

It's different.[/img]

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:07 pm

The Japanese Maritime SDF (their Navy) use one almost identical to the original. I'm pretty sure the rest of Asia will still be offended by it even if the sun is slightly off centered.

Plus, look at the photo I posted.

Naval ensign, flown by ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy (1889–1945) and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:31 pm

I find that offensive. But ironically, although Japan did not obey ANY international rights conventions, they seem to get off more lightly than the Germans. They colonised in other ways after the war.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:41 pm

The odd thing about former Jap colonies is how well they have done;

Korea (South) and Taiwan come to mind,

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:45 pm

katbh wrote:I find that offensive. But ironically, although Japan did not obey ANY international rights conventions, [..]
What do you mean by the above?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 9:54 pm

And how did they get off lightly? Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't seem too light to me. :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:02 pm

PNGMK wrote:The odd thing about former Jap
So did you intentionally use a slur there or was it unintentional?

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:05 pm

Hannieroo wrote:There are so many Japanese food and beauty products touted as being superior to homegrown. They may well be, I don't know. But it seems to be a strong selling point.
If they are from Japan, and many are not but try to look like it, then they quite often have quite high standards of production and ingredients. Not everything is better than other countries' counterparts, but more often than not they are.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:11 pm

zzm9980 wrote:The Japanese Maritime SDF (their Navy) use one almost identical to the original. I'm pretty sure the rest of Asia will still be offended by it even if the sun is slightly off centered.
Most Japanese are uncomfortable with that flag as well, only right-wingers tend to use it and only on special occasion.

The SDF flag is considered innocuous and though arguable derivative, not really related to the Rising Sun flag.

Edit: The last half of that sentence might be incorrect, but there is some context to the sentence below.

But no, it is not illegal in Japan, just considered in poor taste and reminiscent of a past most are ashamed of one they have moved on from.
Last edited by Brah on Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And how did they get off lightly? Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't seem too light to me. :???:
They weren't colonies of Jap.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:23 pm

JR8 wrote:Ok, thank you, thank you so much for telling us what your charges are against me.
"Us"? "Charges"?
The former is a wee bit presumptuous, as it is only you purporting an unfounded opinion; the latter is a wee bit melodramatic, no? For such simple dialog.

Maybe you just corroborated zzm's point about being able to dish it out but not able to handle one's own medicine.
JR8 wrote:Since it's not clear what you think...
Keep it simple - read what I clearly said in earlier posts - you made a claim, one that based on my knowledge I don't agree with, and simply and nonconfrontationally asked you to back up your claim, which after a number of posts you have yet to do but have managed instead some rather colorful drama.

Ok, the joke's over, you're just pulling everyone's leg here so am humoring you by following it.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:24 pm

PNGMK wrote:They weren't colonies of Jap.
Again with the racial slur. And you paint yourself as a Christian. Now who is the hypocrite?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:43 pm

Brah wrote:
PNGMK wrote:They weren't colonies of Jap.
Again with the racial slur. And you paint yourself as a Christian. Now who is the hypocrite?
Sounds like your average Texas Republican... bible thumping, racist, homophobic, anti-welfare white folks who can only see the world in terms of "us" and "them".

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:08 pm

Jeez Brah.... chill man!

No idea what you're on , or what mission you're leading.

Can we get back to the music yah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSpuHuzp8Tw
Chic - Mount Fuji Concert

The (an) Americo-Nipponese ..... thang. Beautiful man...

:-)

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:47 am

My grandfather died in that ww2 death march in the Philippines but i dont understand therat's aversion to the japanese and why bring in brah's wife. But there is some truth to the comfort women and comfort boys ,japan has not yet formaly apologized and admitted it as war crime.just that they consider it as an unfortunate incident of war.this is the reason why the surviving comfort women and boys have not accepted their "apology".