Singapore Expats

Agents

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
dresch

Agents

Post by dresch » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:41 pm

Hello all,

Just had a few beers tonight and am a little bit wound up.

Took a referral from a chap at work for an agent, spoke with her last Thursday and said we would like to look at properties this Saturday (as my Fiance arrives Friday). This was 9 days advance notice.

Sunday evening I finally sent through our list of priorities/sacrifices and a comprehensive list of buildings and locations we would like to look at.

A few text messages back and forth confirming certain details, at one point she makes the suggestion that she will "make the whole saturday" available for us.

Then tonight around 7pm (Thursday), she sends me a text (doesn't call) to say she hasn't heard back from any co-agents and is it possible to meet weekdays after business hours.

Hold up... you have had a week to organise these meetings, now all of a sudden you can only arrange 2 meetings (at apartments I am not interested in?) on Saturday?

Obviously has another client, but am I out of order if I tell her to get f------- and move onto the next agent I have been referred by friend/colleague?

I hate people in real estate. Apologies to all who work in this field.

Thanks.

Search By

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:57 pm

You say she had a week? From Sunday night to today is only 3.5 days. Now I don't know where you are coming from but most calendars say there are 7 days in a week. If you discount Sunday, that's 3 days, not even half a week. Oh, you say, you were in contact since last Friday? Yeah, but you didn't give her your requirement on Friday did you? instead you waited till the 3rd day was finished before giving her the information.

Additionally, today was only Wednesday. Maybe you should stay off the piss before you really stick your foot innit?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Agents

Post by JR8 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:20 pm

dresch wrote: I hate people in real estate. Apologies to all who work in this field.
Thanks.

I feel sorry for people who profess to 'hate' estate agents, and need to find scape-goats for their own ignorance and foolishness.

It is usually those so wilfully dumb and 'out of the game' who report this, it is they if anyone, that get led around by the nose, and then later complain.

(I used to date an estate agent/realtor, and sit in at her office on weekends 'jus hanging out', using their PCs and stuff, .... most applicants really are sitting muppets... You'd be amazed how 9/10 people don't know how or where to spend a £1mm [Spazza zone...'I have a million (yah, driblbe) want to spend in west London (dribble) tell me where to spend it (I work 14 hrs a day alright, don't you know just tell me!' and so on and so on... )

dresch

Post by dresch » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:28 pm

We spoke on the phone last Thursday, could have been Friday (hey, it could have even been Wednesday), and it was patently clear that I would be looking at apartments, Saturday week.

As such I had requested that Saturday week we be in a position to look at an array of apartments with a general description of what I wanted, 2BR, between 4-5k pcm. Anywhere between Novena to Bishan, Farrer Park to Serangoon, Lavender to Tanah Merah.

I provided the details Sunday. Constant correspondence back and forth all week. "oh Yes, I will make all of Saturday available to you".

Fast forward three days, and she can only arrange midweek bookings.

Hey, if you have a client with a bigger budget who wants to go looking Saturday that's cool. Just be honest about it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:34 pm

dresch wrote:We spoke on the phone last Thursday, could have been Friday (hey, it could have even been Wednesday), and it was patently clear that I would be looking at apartments, Saturday week.

I guess you were on the piss then as well? You don't know what day you called her? Do you have any idea of what country you are currently in?

As such I had requested that Saturday week we be in a position to look at an array of apartments with a general description of what I wanted, 2BR, between 4-5k pcm. Anywhere between Novena to Bishan, Farrer Park to Serangoon, Lavender to Tanah Merah.

I provided the details Sunday. Constant correspondence back and forth all week. "oh Yes, I will make all of Saturday available to you".

So, she didn't have a clue until Sunday the details. (but you may have called her as early as the Wednesday BEFORE Sunday but cannot remember. Conveniently) What? Is she supposed to be a mind reader?

Fast reverse, it took you thee days to give her details........ :roll:

Hey, if you have a client with a bigger budget who wants to go looking Saturday that's cool. Just be honest about it.
Frankly, dude, I think it's you who is out of line here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dresch

Re: Agents

Post by dresch » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:35 pm

JR8 wrote:
dresch wrote: I hate people in real estate. Apologies to all who work in this field.
Thanks.

I feel sorry for people who profess to 'hate' estate agents, and need to find scape-goats for their own ignorance and foolishness.

It is usually those so wilfully dumb and 'out of the game' who report this, it is they if anyone, that get led around by the nose, and then later complain.

(I used to date an estate agent/realtor, and sit in at her office on weekends 'jus hanging out', using their PCs and stuff, .... most applicants really are sitting muppets... You'd be amazed how 9/10 people don't know how or where to spend a £1mm [Spazza zone...'I have a million (yah, driblbe) want to spend in west London (dribble) tell me where to spend it (I work 14 hrs a day alright, don't you know just tell me!' and so on and so on... )
Mate I have spent 10+ hours doing my research (I'm sure its probably more than that) on a limited budget. I don't have an ego, and am usually sympathetic to people who work in tough industries. But if you work in a tough industry, don't throw out comments such as "oh I'll make all of Saturday available to you" and then start shifting arrangements because a bigger account comes along.

dresch

Post by dresch » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
dresch wrote:We spoke on the phone last Thursday, could have been Friday (hey, it could have even been Wednesday), and it was patently clear that I would be looking at apartments, Saturday week.

I guess you were on the piss then as well? You don't know what day you called her? Do you have any idea of what country you are currently in?

So, she didn't have a clue until Sunday the details. (but you may have called her as early as the Wednesday BEFORE Sunday but cannot remember. Conveniently) What? Is she supposed to be a mind reader?

Fast reverse, it took you thee days to give her details........ :roll:

Frankly, dude, I think it's you who is out of line here.
a. I checked my phone records, it was Wednesday last week.

b. We spoke for the best part of 25 mintues on the phone, but because I'm not particular eloquent I said I would summarise these details via email. I did this on Sunday. Admittedly I would have liked to send this sooner. But as much as it was delayed, she already had a rough idea of our expectations, and further by Sunday she had a complete background to our needs/wants/sacirifices.

c. Yesterday she tells me she has reserved 'all of Saturday for us' to which I said great, lunch and dinner is on us if she is free. Fast forward 24 hours and unfortunately she is unable to arrange viewings for anything this weekend, are we available midweek?

Give me a break. There are loads of f--- heads and egos both in this city, and on this forum. I am not one of them.

dresch

Post by dresch » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:54 pm

And hey, maybe I am out of order all the same. I came here to gauge that, so as to temper my response. Thanks.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 12:32 am

dresch wrote:And hey, maybe I am out of order all the same. I came here to gauge that, so as to temper my response. Thanks.

You came here to seek agreement.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 6:43 am

^This.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 7:31 am

Sensible solution...... Do not use an agent. Go on this sites real estate section. Put in your search criteria. Find a few properties you are interested in and set up viewings with those agents. You can do a search on the condo you are looking at also and get information on it such as reviews and what facilities they have. You can also go onto URA website and get average rental for the condo (if it is one of the larger ones).
If the agent you call about a specific property says that they can show you a few more, make sure it is clear that you are not using them as an agent but will only deal with Landlords agents (who you will not need to pay). If you are doing all the leg work, an agent should not be paid for it.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:05 am

This sounds pretty typical. The agents here just don't seem very "on-the-ball." I'm sure there are a few decent ones, but the ones I've met are total airheads.

You can file a complaint:
http://www.cea.gov.sg/cea/content/consu ... laint.html

I haven't done this. I'm not sure if anything will actually get done, but it's an option.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 9:54 am

dresch wrote: a. I checked my phone records, it was Wednesday last week.

b. We spoke for the best part of 25 mintues on the phone, but because I'm not particular eloquent I said I would summarise these details via email. I did this on Sunday. Admittedly I would have liked to send this sooner. But as much as it was delayed, she already had a rough idea of our expectations, and further by Sunday she had a complete background to our needs/wants/sacirifices.

c. Yesterday she tells me she has reserved 'all of Saturday for us' to which I said great, lunch and dinner is on us if she is free. Fast forward 24 hours and unfortunately she is unable to arrange viewings for anything this weekend, are we available midweek?

Give me a break. There are loads of f--- heads and egos both in this city, and on this forum. I am not one of them.
My suspicion is, the few units that she wanted to arrange the viewing, the tenants are not willing to "hang around" on weekends for people to view.

I used to rent and we bought our own place last year. When I was looking to rent, despite what the agent said that they are ok to arrange viewing on weekends, it is ultimately subjected to the availability of the units. Most tenants do not like viewing to take place on weekends, simply because they got better things to do. I end up viewing most of the rental units during my lunch time.

Even myself, when I was moving out of my rental place, I told the agent that he can arrange viewings when my help is there every week, to clean my apartment. It is a permanent slot every week. and he can just contact my help directly to check on the day/time that she will be there. If he wants to arrange a viewing on the weekend, I will create some BS excuses that I am traveling, or I have visiters, etc.

Give the agent the benefit of doubts. Don't jump into conclusion too soon. I noticed that many agents are not eloquent and may not be so upfront on the real reason, even if the real reason make sense.

dresch

Post by dresch » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 9:57 am

Haha. I'm not going to make a complaint, that would be over the top.

I just wanted to come on here and have a moan, but the great defenders of the real estate industry won't let me do that!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:12 am

dresch wrote:Haha. I'm not going to make a complaint, that would be over the top.

I just wanted to come on here and have a moan, but the great defenders of the real estate industry won't let me do that!
actually the people here voicing out what they know and been through, not one here defends the Real Estate Industry per se, to state the least

BTW, if you complain to CEA, you need to furnish you name and details for the complaint to be taken for investigation, and the agent will be told who is the complainant . unless she has really pissed you off ..

If you remain anonymous the complaint will be taken as a feedback .. that's it