Singapore Expats

Where to get used Phones in Singapore?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
DoodisHere

Where to get used Phones in Singapore?

Post by DoodisHere » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:08 am

Which is the best place to buy used iphones/samsung phones in Singapore? Cannot trush online sources. Wanna buy it after checking the phone personally. So any shops/malls which has these. Please let me know.

Also, I dont want to get it in Contract. I just wanna buy it completely.

Cheers!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:14 am

Though online, they have stores:

Far East Plaza
http://www.whymobile.com/product.php?type=USE
http://mobilesquare.com.sg/

China Town
http://www.subarumobile.com/index.php?a ... c&docId=10

There are definitely others still; just do some googling.

Moreover, if you look at online ads from non-stores (i.e. people), some of them are willing for a meet-up so you can inspect the phone. I got my current phone that way.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

DoodisHere

Post by DoodisHere » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:18 am

Thank you, will check!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:10 am

I would also just go to any HDB Estate with a big market and walk around. Most will have multiple mobile phone shops. You can walk around and price them against each other.

Marine Parade Central, Toa Payoh Central, Bedok Central, AMK Central, etc etc... I've done this at all of them.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:11 am

Why buy a used phone?

I always buy export sets from shops in Serangoon road, usually at about 3/4 the price of local sets.

Only downside is there is no warranty. But hey export sets are genuine sets, just that they were meant for other countries and you can trust them to last for a year in most cases.

Also I never buy the latest phones, I usually buy phones that were once top end but not anymore. I recently bought the Galaxy S for $220, its better than most low end phones of the current gen in terms of hardware and screen resolution. Only problem is the OS is old. But no worries, I rooted it and installed custom ROM jelly bean :cool:

Used phones is a waste because the prices are not that far away from new ones and I always believe electronics should never be bought used, due to their limited life. Thats opposite to Automobiles though. ;)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:26 am

Wd40 wrote:Used phones is a waste because the prices are not that far away from new ones and I always believe electronics should never be bought used, due to their limited life. Thats opposite to Automobiles though. ;)
Not if you give it due diligence. I got myself a used Galaxy Nexus only because my then phone crapped out before I was due for an upgrade. I wasn't willing to go beyond a certain price and from my research, it was the best deal to be had. Also, I needed it to tide me over before my scheduled upgrade.

Hardware may be dated and not top of the line but I got the latest OS update for less than 2/3 the price. And I get all the functionality I want.

Moreover, buying a used phone for the right price is a better for electronic waste. Some people just don't care about the latest and the greatest. Some just want a baseline functionality for the right price. As long as one is willing to live with the limitations of a used piece of electronics, things should be hunky-dory.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:42 am

Wd40 wrote:Only problem is the OS is old. But no worries, I rooted it and installed custom ROM jelly bean :cool:
Most people don't have the know how to root and install custom roms, so they're stuck with old and dangerously insecure OSes.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:55 am

nakatago wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Used phones is a waste because the prices are not that far away from new ones and I always believe electronics should never be bought used, due to their limited life. Thats opposite to Automobiles though. ;)
Not if you give it due diligence. I got myself a used Galaxy Nexus only because my then phone crapped out before I was due for an upgrade. I wasn't willing to go beyond a certain price and from my research, it was the best deal to be had. Also, I needed it to tide me over before my scheduled upgrade.

Hardware may be dated and not top of the line but I got the latest OS update for less than 2/3 the price. And I get all the functionality I want.

Moreover, buying a used phone for the right price is a better for electronic waste. Some people just don't care about the latest and the greatest. Some just want a baseline functionality for the right price. As long as one is willing to live with the limitations of a used piece of electronics, things should be hunky-dory.
But then to find a used phone at the right price and right condition, takes sometime, isn't it? When your current phone craps out and you can't afford to be phone-less, unless you have a spare phone.

I didnt have a spare phone when my phone crapped out, the easiest thing to do was to pick up my bike ride to serangoon road and pick up a new phone.

Also I find that getting a phone at the right price, from individual sellers is extremely hard. Reason being, for example the person bought the phone brand new for $800, 3 months ago. Now the brand new phone price is $600. This person will not want to make a big loss, instead the dumbo wants to sell it at $600 :o whereas I am trying to get it at $400. Its much easier to go to Serangoon road and buy the same export set for $500
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:55 am

I hates that term (root) Sounds like you are doing something kinky with the phone (yeah, I know, some do.....) :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:59 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Only problem is the OS is old. But no worries, I rooted it and installed custom ROM jelly bean :cool:
Most people don't have the know how to root and install custom roms, so they're stuck with old and dangerously insecure OSes.
I didn't really think about the insecure part, hehe. I just couldnt bear with the look and feel of the stock OS; Froyo, which is older than ginger bread.

Spent 2 days researching about rooting and custom roms on XDA developers and finally took the plunge. I knew, I could have bricked my phone, but it was worth taking the risk and it was thrilling :). Luckily Galaxy S is a very popular phone still and lots of custom ROMs out there for it.

DoodisHere

Post by DoodisHere » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:54 pm

Planning to buy used phone for the first time coz of few reasons
- cannot take new mobile with "Contract" coz I may not stay here for long
- new phone without contract is costly.. 980$ for S4!
- And even the used one's I won't go for the highest end.. Probably Iphone4S, 4S still can support the future iOS7, so still a great mobile to get now.
Cheers!
Dood

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:59 pm

Wd40 wrote:
nakatago wrote:

But then to find a used phone at the right price and right condition, takes sometime, isn't it? When your current phone craps out and you can't afford to be phone-less, unless you have a spare phone.

I didnt have a spare phone when my phone crapped out, the easiest thing to do was to pick up my bike ride to serangoon road and pick up a new phone.

Also I find that getting a phone at the right price, from individual sellers is extremely hard. Reason being, for example the person bought the phone brand new for $800, 3 months ago. Now the brand new phone price is $600. This person will not want to make a big loss, instead the dumbo wants to sell it at $600 :o whereas I am trying to get it at $400. Its much easier to go to Serangoon road and buy the same export set for $500
My search-fu is better than your search-fu.

zhizhong07

Post by zhizhong07 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:04 am

You might want to try looking into various IT forum like hardwarezone and vr-zone

sosingaporean

Post by sosingaporean » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 8:50 pm

You can try Sim Lim Square but beware of scams. I don't know if that shop is still around.

A lot of people avoided that place now except for unsuspecting tourists. But i you need to do some research before going there and compare. Bargain with them.
Who says Singaporeans are xenophobic?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Aug 2013 9:20 pm

Probably the best you could do, if going to Sim Lim, is to take a knowledgeable local who isn't xenophobic and is willing to help you, not help screw you. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers