Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore in July for a Masters @ NUS

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
frtome.pt

Moving to Singapore in July for a Masters @ NUS

Post by frtome.pt » Thu, 20 Jun 2013 8:37 pm

Hi All, first post here.

Like the title says I am moving to Singapore in July (min. 2 years) to begin my Masters at NUS. I don't know anyone here and it will be my first time in Singapore, I'm looking forward to meeting new people, experiencing new cultures and travelling... oh, and studying too. :lol:

Unfortunately I did not get accepted for accomodation at NUS Campus, and thus am looking for alternative living places, and hope you can guide me towards the right direction.

I am looking for a single-room (en-suite), or a single-room in a 3-4bdroom apartment close to NUS.

I am from Portugal and would like to find a place to stay where there is a friendly-active community, also with other foreign students and preferably graduates.

I have looked at Yo:Ha, however most rooms are shared, i.e 3 single beds in a room and tbh, I couldn't see myself living like that.

Hope you can help me in this matter, as its hard to find a place to stay without having ever visited the country or knowing what the neighbourhoods are like.

Cheers! :wink:
Frederico

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 21 Jun 2013 5:15 pm

Not only is it difficult for you to evaluate a potential place to live before you arrive, but so is it for the landlord to decide whether you would make a good tenant. Thus it is basically impossible to find anything before your arrival.
The best advice in your situation is to arrange for temporary accommodation (two weeks should be sufficient) in a hotel or serviced appartment, and search for a permanent place during that time. This will cost some money, but is surely the better solution in the long run.
It is fairly easy to find a sublet room as per what you describe for around S$1000/month.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:34 pm

A masters at NUS is paradoxical.... its like being king of the blind by having one eye. I'd rethink the whole thing. NUS is on a slippery slope of politics, favouritsm, outright IP theft and fake degree holding professors along with a marks for sex scandal.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 22 Jun 2013 1:34 pm

Still it is probably the best place if someone wants to do it in Singapore. Besides, NUS is huge, with many departments and there are many people over there academically on a very high level and being recognizable internationally. I would be careful with such gross generalization.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:55 pm

x9200 wrote:Still it is probably the best place if someone wants to do it in Singapore. Besides, NUS is huge, with many departments and there are many people over there academically on a very high level and being recognizable internationally. I would be careful with such gross generalization.
True but how many really good NUS alumni have you met or heard about?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 8:36 am

Good question. How many really good alumni of Western unis do you know that had been earlier locally under-graduated? The problem is IMHO elsewhere and the only part I don't get is how some of the people (both graduating from the Western and local unis) got their degrees.

kaushalshetty

Post by kaushalshetty » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:44 am

Hey! I'm Kaushal and I'm gonna be moving to Singapore in July as well. Looking for accommodation and roommates. Wanna figure it out together?
Hit me up - [email protected]

Cheers

frtome.pt

Post by frtome.pt » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice guys.

I chose NUS because I think it will be hugely beneficial in the long run. It's a multi-cultural city and the university is ranked amongst the highest in international levels. Furthermore, the history of the city-state's urban development is outstanding, and it is related to my degree, therefore it will be nice to study a subject whilst also living in the subject, if that makes any sense.

I have knowledge of 5 languages, including Mandarin (I'm half Portuguese half Chinese) and so will focus on learning written and comprehension of Mandarin. In the future I don't mind allocating to other countries for jobs where I'm needed, so languages are important, and also the institutions and contacts for further references.

I will have a look at hostels first, as I think they are the cheapest and best for short-term stay, and when I'm there I will start looking for accomodation for long-term.

Kaushal, I will get in contact with you.

Any more advice on what to expect and the best ways to settle in, which places I should visit first, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Frederico

frtome.pt

Hostel Single Room near NUS

Post by frtome.pt » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 5:25 pm

Can anyone here suggest me a trusted Hostel that do Single rooms and is near the area of Queenstown, where NUS is located?

Please, I need help urgently.

Thanks.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 6:12 pm

There is a site called katong hostels that is targeted to students. All different kinds of rooms and long and short stays. Why not do that and if it doesn't suit look for something else once you've met possible roommates?

frtome.pt

Post by frtome.pt » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 6:48 pm

That's what I'm trying to do, look for Short Term Stays before renting a room and sharing a flat with possible roommates.

However, I would like that the short term stay is a Single room in a Hostel. Mainly due to security and privacy reasons, as I will be travelling with lots of personal belongings for my future 2 year stay in Singapore.

I've already been in contact with Katong, and still loooking for more.

Anyone know other Hostels that do single room near Queenstown?

Thanks.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 8:50 pm

I'd post this in the 20s group. Maybe more chance there.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 9:34 am

PNGMK wrote:A masters at NUS is paradoxical.... its like being king of the blind by having one eye. I'd rethink the whole thing. NUS is on a slippery slope of politics, favouritsm, outright IP theft and fake degree holding professors along with a marks for sex scandal.
Name me ONE professor in NUS with fake degree.

Like what x9200 said, be careful with such sweeping generalisation. In comparison to other countries, NUS has respectable academic strength. It wouldn't even consider a decent university degree holder for a post-grad course, let alone a professor practising under a fake degree. That sex scandal was an unfortunate isolated case of moral integrity breach, nothing more.

jessrose

Re: Moving to Singapore in July for a Masters @ NUS

Post by jessrose » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:43 am

[quote="frtome.pt"]Hi All, first post here.

Like the title says I am moving to Singapore in July (min. 2 years) to begin my Masters at NUS. I don't know anyone here and it will be my first time in Singapore, I'm looking forward to meeting new people, experiencing new cultures and travelling... oh, and studying too. :lol:

Unfortunately I did not get accepted for accomodation at NUS Campus, and thus am looking for alternative living places, and hope you can guide me towards the right direction.

I am looking for a single-room (en-suite), or a single-room in a 3-4bdroom apartment close to NUS.

I am from Portugal and would like to find a place to stay where there is a friendly-active community, also with other foreign students and preferably graduates.

I have looked at Yo:Ha, however most rooms are shared, i.e 3 single beds in a room and tbh, I couldn't see myself living like that.

Hope you can help me in this matter, as its hard to find a place to stay without having ever visited the country or knowing what the neighbourhoods are like.

Cheers! :wink:
Frederico[/quote]

Hey have you found a place to live yet? I work at NUHS (next door to NUH) and live in Lakeside. I need to move out of my room at Caspian condo this month/early August. It is a common room, queen size bed, 1 minute walk to Lakeside MRT with all condo facilities (huge pool, gym, BBQ pits) for $1400/month.

Let me know if you're interested! ([email protected])
Cheers! Jess

ewiz77

Post by ewiz77 » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 3:23 pm

PNGMK wrote:A masters at NUS is paradoxical.... its like being king of the blind by having one eye. I'd rethink the whole thing. NUS is on a slippery slope of politics, favouritsm, outright IP theft and fake degree holding professors along with a marks for sex scandal.
fake degree... IP theft.

If you know something that others dont you should reveal it. Else stop talking BS.