Singapore Expats

Are S Pass holders eligible to do part-time studies?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Beatrice Ching

Are S Pass holders eligible to do part-time studies?

Post by Beatrice Ching » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 4:51 am

Hey peeps,

I'm a recent local poly fresh grad (am a Malaysian) and I was offered a full-time position on a 1-yr contract basis in one of the semi-government companies in Spore. I decided to take up the job and I was issued a S Pass soon after the contract signing procedures. At the same time I'm planning to do a part-time study in one of the private institutions in Spore so I was wondering if I'm eligible to enroll one with my S Pass (instead of Student Pass)?

The course I'm planning to take up is originally a 4-yr duration course but I'd be able to complete it within 2 yrs on advanced standing. However the S pass I was issued to is only valid for 1 yr and I'm not even sure whether it can be used to do part time studies. I brought up this issue to the admission staffs as well as to my company's hr dept but both parties were unsure of it. Any souls have previously encountered this before or have had experiences/knowledge regarding thisï¼Å¸

And IF I'm NOT allowed to do part time study with my S pass, is it possible for me to apply for local uni admission deferment (to next acad yr, after serving the 1-yr contract?) as I was offered a full-time course from them as well. Anyw I realized I prefer part-time study, after all.

Ur advice or any help would be greatly appreciated!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 7:01 am

Yes, you can study while on an S pass, but you cannot work while on a Student's Pass. Therefore, you run the risk of doing a year's worth of study and not being able to renew yours S pass and then not being able to get a Student's visa either. Catch 22.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Beatrice Ching

Post by Beatrice Ching » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 6:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yes, you can study while on an S pass, but you cannot work while on a Student's Pass. Therefore, you run the risk of doing a year's worth of study and not being able to renew yours S pass and then not being able to get a Student's visa either. Catch 22.

I see. Yeah indeed it is. Then is it possible to apply for Student pass when the S pass is near to expiration?

Besides, from what I understand S pass holders are eligible to apply for pr and I wonder does the government adopt any specific policy on it, such as any strict criterion for the approval of pr application (for S pass holders)? I'd love to try this approach to avoid getting stuck with those contradictory regulations when the time comes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 7:10 pm

Unless you are doing full time studies in an approved institution (see the MOM site for student passes) you will not be given a student pass at all. As far as getting PR from an S pass, yes it is possible but not likely. Odds are highly against it. I wouldn't bet a slug nickle of getting PR approved unless you have been here on an S pass for at least 4 or 5 years.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers