Singapore Expats

Indonesian lady PR for Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lfo_24

Indonesian lady PR for Citizenship

Post by lfo_24 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 9:54 am

Hi,

I have just came to know about this forum although I have been in Singapore for quite some times. Really appreciate all the helpful info and advice that were given. Keep up the good work guys.

I am an Indonesian lady, PR status and would like to kindly request your advice on the chance of my application.

Below is some of my personal info:
- Nationality: Indonesian Chinese
- Education: MBA from China (studying Mandarin at the same time)
- 5 years PR as of Aug 2013 (LPR scheme, then converted to PR in Aug 2008, has just renew REP in this month for another 5 years)
- Last job: Sales Executive (Basic: 2,200 Gross: 2,700) stay for about 2 years
- Current job: Product Executive for IT MNC (Basic: 2,500 Gross: 3,800) about a year
- 2 years tax assessment done and this year is the third year assessment (although have not received the tax letter yet)
- No property

Background info:
- Went for assessment around Dec 2011, was asked to return when I have stayed longer in Singapore.
- Going to ROM next month, Jul 2013, to another Indonesian Chinese (Foreigner - work in Indonesia) and thus, I am hoping to apply citizenship before my ROM (because I read in the forum that it is actually easier for you to apply if you are single), plus my partner and I have planned to stay long-term in Singapore. Thus, I feel that the faster I apply and get approved on citizenship, the more certainty for my partner to settle here in Singapore, being a long term visit pass or employment pass holder.

My questions:
- What are my chances? Given my shared info and since I do not see a lot of female application for citizenship in the forum
- Is it better to apply before or after ROM?

Really appreciate if regular contributors (like SMS and other moderators) can drop in and share their 2-cents, 4-cents or even 1 Dollar, also can lah. :)
Would be more than happy to share more info, if needed.

Thank you so much beforehand.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Indonesian lady PR for Citizenship

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:49 am

lfo_24 wrote:Hi,

I have just came to know about this forum although I have been in Singapore for quite some times. Really appreciate all the helpful info and advice that were given. Keep up the good work guys.

I am an Indonesian lady, PR status and would like to kindly request your advice on the chance of my application.

Below is some of my personal info:
- Nationality: Indonesian Chinese
- Education: MBA from China (studying Mandarin at the same time)
- 5 years PR as of Aug 2013 (LPR scheme, then converted to PR in Aug 2008, has just renew REP in this month for another 5 years)
- Last job: Sales Executive (Basic: 2,200 Gross: 2,700) stay for about 2 years
- Current job: Product Executive for IT MNC (Basic: 2,500 Gross: 3,800) about a year
- 2 years tax assessment done and this year is the third year assessment (although have not received the tax letter yet)
- No property

Background info:
- Went for assessment around Dec 2011, was asked to return when I have stayed longer in Singapore.
- Going to ROM next month, Jul 2013, to another Indonesian Chinese (Foreigner - work in Indonesia) and thus, I am hoping to apply citizenship before my ROM (because I read in the forum that it is actually easier for you to apply if you are single), plus my partner and I have planned to stay long-term in Singapore. Thus, I feel that the faster I apply and get approved on citizenship, the more certainty for my partner to settle here in Singapore, being a long term visit pass or employment pass holder.

Okay. What I see looks reasonably good so far. You are currently on your 2nd REP. You are the right flavour & gender (being single). Although your salary is low at the moment, I feel it will only go up so I don't necessarily see that as a detriment in this case. The fact that you were invited to reapply after you have been here a while longer AND the fact that you waited over a year and renewed your REP I think will be a definite plus.

My questions:
- What are my chances? Given my shared info and since I do not see a lot of female application for citizenship in the forum
- Is it better to apply before or after ROM?

Here is the sticky part. As you are female, and you ROM with you boyfriend now, you may end up in no man's land where he may not be able to get a LTVP. Especially as he is a male, they may well make him wait at least two years before giving him an LTVP unless he is able to gain an EP on his own. The ICA will view the new marriage as a possible marriage of convenience. If that happens, then it's around a two year wait. If you get your citizenship first, then he may have to sign a letter/affidavit that indicates that by marrying a citizen, it will not guarantee him PR or Citizenship at a later date (I had to sign one and it took me 11 years to get my PR). This would not stop he from gaining an LTVP however it would be at least 2 or 3 years before he could get an LTVP+ which would allow him to possibly work. It's a mine field but personally, I think that applying for Citizenship now it still the best option.

Really appreciate if regular contributors (like SMS and other moderators) can drop in and share their 2-cents, 4-cents or even 1 Dollar, also can lah. :)
Would be more than happy to share more info, if needed.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lfo_24

Post by lfo_24 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 4:39 pm

Thank you SMS, really appreciate you taking your time to address my issues.

So in the nutshell, my chance is good, isn't? Thank you for your encouragement. I may drop in for assessment next week and will update you on my situation.

Out of curiosity,
1. Do they still do citizenship invitation with the recent tightening of FT?
2. For citizenship application, what is the difference between applying online and manually? I would imagine there is no assessment in applying online is the major difference... anything else?

OMG... 11 years... :( I dun expect it to be so hard for a man to sponsored. Well, you definitely give me some food for thought.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 5:27 pm

I've not heard of anyone with less the several billion dollars to invest here getting an invite in recent years. No real differences that I know of, but that is not saying there aren't, I just am not aware of any although it might be quicker online but aside from that, I don't know. Girls sponsoring husbands is a bit trickier than the other way around, especially if the husband it from a third world country as well as that really tends to look like a marriage of convenience.

Good Luck and keep up posted on the outcome.

SMS
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lfo_24

Post by lfo_24 » Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:54 am

Hi SMS and readers,

Make a quick trip to ICA this morning for assessment, and the result is: Rejected.

Reason: Being told that my salary is too low and come back when it is higher... My heart sinks :( ... I mean I am in sales, so of course we work for our commissions and plus, if they told me come back next year, I don't mind waiting. But to be asked to return when salary is higher, I am not sure how to make it happen unless I got promoted.

Well,
1. Do you think after this assessment, doing e-application would make any differences?
2. Is there anything else I can do?

Kindly seek your advice on my problem.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:47 pm

At this point you are lucky as they have told you exactly why you were rejected. Had you filed online, you would have been rejected without so much as a reason at all. At least, from a more practical viewpoint, you know the problem and that the other stuff, as far as is practical to know, seems to be okay. Only the income problem. One way, if you must stay in sales, would be to do so well as to be able to justify a higher base to your employer or move into sales management in order to get the higher base.

Good Luck, but remember, getting married "may" create even more problems in the short term. But if you were to get married and then wait until you income has risen substantially, say two or three years down the road, maybe the marriage part will not impact it too much. (although, if he's not able to secure employment here on his own, it would not look too good).

lfo_24

Post by lfo_24 » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:04 am

Thanks SMS for your advice.

I know, marriage "may" play a different card to my citizen application.
Just hoping, my husband-to-be can secure a job and employment pass here in Singapore and hopefully, the application can look good by then as it shows we are serious of settling long-term here.

A bit disappointed, but life must go on... Thanks once again SMS, kindly seek your advice again in the near future. Best of luck to you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 2:21 pm

lfo_24 wrote:Thanks SMS for your advice.

I know, marriage "may" play a different card to my citizen application.
Just hoping, my husband-to-be can secure a job and employment pass here in Singapore and hopefully, the application can look good by then as it shows we are serious of settling long-term here.

A bit disappointed, but life must go on... Thanks once again SMS, kindly seek your advice again in the near future. Best of luck to you.
Why not find a man with better prospects?