Singapore Expats

IT / Finance discussion gathering

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 21 Nov 2012 7:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As our Eagles gatherings are comprised of regulars of both genders, invited by the moderators, why would you think we would be discussing women? Let alone, only. :-|
Ah don't worry. There won't be a woman this Friday, right? :P

Unless I do mistake one of the attendees as a male :oops:

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Re: IT / Finance discussion gathering

Post by BillyB » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:57 am

Brah wrote:Separate from this week's meetup, I was thinking to get the following together for a face-to-face discussion on things in the "foreign manpower tightening" thread. Of course anyone's welcome in case I missed anyone relevant to the conversation.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... c-120.html

As some of us are in IT and / or Finance it might get a bit specific, doesn't have to be though.

I'm just putting this out there to see if there's interest, and trying to avoid a massive coordination effort.

Red= coming this Friday , Blue = not

BillyB
zzm9980
OSOD
SMS
nutnut
Brah
Nakatago

ScoobyDoes
JR8
Movingtosingapore
Sergei82
Callput
v4jr4
SE if he's still around
Gents, I'm crying off this Friday as got work commitments. Have fun and don't stay out too late......

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Thu, 22 Nov 2012 4:18 pm

I am traveling, but would have been interesting thanks. Another time.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 4:15 pm

Thought to revive this and maybe the manpower threads.

This article has bearing on some of us here, although it's a global consideration:

"IT as we know it could disappear by the end of the decade, killed off by the relentless consumerization of technology. ....As a result, IT pros should expect a future in which they might well end up embedded in the marketing, sales, customer service and manufacturing teams of their organizations. "

http://www.informationweek.com/global-c ... d_IWK_News

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 4:17 pm

anyone still up for this get together after the other get together?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 7:32 pm

IT will never fully die. Just like IT will never be fully outsourced to India. As tech is 'consumerized', roles will just shift to meet new needs.

Yes, I'm still very interested in this meet. Not sure I'll make the general met next week, but please keep me in the loop for this one.

OracleOfQuantico

Post by OracleOfQuantico » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:13 am

can newbies join this gathering as long as they're in IT industry or is it by invitation like the eagles one?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 2:56 am

Brah wrote:Thought to revive this and maybe the manpower threads.

This article has bearing on some of us here, although it's a global consideration:

"IT as we know it could disappear by the end of the decade, killed off by the relentless consumerization of technology. ....As a result, IT pros should expect a future in which they might well end up embedded in the marketing, sales, customer service and manufacturing teams of their organizations. "

http://www.informationweek.com/global-c ... d_IWK_News
Well, the article just says that IT departments will disappear and IT guys will be part of the other departments. Thats ok. Its just means you are getting closer to the business. Thats already happening in many places. Especially banks. IT is very much aligned with the business organization.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 1:14 pm

I know that relationship management seems to be taking leaps and bounds in the banking area for IT at the moment... So I agree!
nutnut

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 5:39 pm

I am still traveling. Tho would like to join sometime...I need a new job.... :(