Singapore Expats

Good DJ School in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
electroboye

Good DJ School in Singapore

Post by electroboye » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 5:39 pm

Hello Forum,

Happy Sunday to every one :) !

My name is Raja and I am from India and I have been working here for some years and I am a new member on this Form and this is my first post.My post is with regards to finding a good learning place for DJ in Singapore.

I am an electronic music producer but I have not been formally trained/exposed to DJing which I've always aspired to do hence I am firmly making a point to accomplish this in 2013 hence I would like to identify a good school where I can learn DJ. As I am not a pro, I would like to take up a Basic course first to begin with and later will upgrade to an advance module

I have been extensively searching on the internet to find a good place to learn DJ ing, I came across few institutes, but I would like to get some expert opinion from Singapore DJ scene.

I came across some institutes such as DanceandMusic, DJacademy, SAE among these I am more interested in SAE, for the fact that it is an international institution, hence I expect course to be in international standard, though the course comes with an expensive price tag(Roughly SGD1400 for Basic Course for 4 weeks) than other institutes but I am ok with the cost for the fact that I will learn from a premier institute.

But I may be wrong in my evaluation and also it is very much possible that I have completely missed some other good/reputable DJ institue in my search, hence I am looking forward to get your valuable opinion/feedback/advise. Your two cents will help me decide a right school for my DJ learning.

I am hoping to join in Q1 2013, hence kindly help :)

Many Thanks for your help here :) !

Have a good day

Raja...

Benjamin1147

Post by Benjamin1147 » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 4:46 pm

I'd also like some info on DJ schools here if anyone has any. Just basics on what they teach and if they're worth the money

breakdown

Dance and Musice

Post by breakdown » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 2:35 pm

Hi there. I was once a student of DanceAndMusic. I would say that the price for the beginner's course is quite affordable. You would also get to enjoy special rates for studio rental if you're a student.

I took the beginner's course and I learned a lot from DJ James. After that, I bought my own equipment and did self study.

Niño

Post by Niño » Tue, 14 May 2013 11:35 pm

Hi planning to enroll to a dj school is dance n music worth it? Tnx

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 15 May 2013 10:42 am

Is this thing even developed in Singapore? I really hear nothing about local DJs, electronic musicians and similar folks. I think, Pump Room and Attica is as much as you can get. All performances here are done by somebody invited from abroad.

At least, it looks like this.

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Wed, 15 May 2013 2:24 pm

Niño wrote:Hi planning to enroll to a dj school is dance n music worth it? Tnx
What exactly do you mean by "worth it"? As far as I remember, it was the most affordable that I've found (around 2 years ago).

@Mods, please feel free to edit / delete my post if i violated some forum rules.

For the beginner's course, you will probably learn the basics at the very least. Then it's up to you whether you want to continue with the course or self study.

I recommend that you learn the basics first, then keep on practicing over and over again.

SaruSenin

Post by SaruSenin » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 8:47 pm

You can try Swee Lee DJ Academy at Katong Shopping Centre. Some of the best DJ in Singapore are groomed there!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 5:07 pm

SaruSenin wrote:You can try Swee Lee DJ Academy at Katong Shopping Centre. Some of the best DJ in Singapore are groomed there!
Judging by some of the local DJ talent I have seen here, it's hardly a massive accolade to be "some of the best in Singapore" Who do you mean exactly and what makes you say they are "best"
nutnut

SaruSenin

Post by SaruSenin » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 5:23 pm

nutnut wrote:
SaruSenin wrote:You can try Swee Lee DJ Academy at Katong Shopping Centre. Some of the best DJ in Singapore are groomed there!
Judging by some of the local DJ talent I have seen here, it's hardly a massive accolade to be "some of the best in Singapore" Who do you mean exactly and what makes you say they are "best"
Go to Zouk and Sentosa u will find them there.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 1:17 pm

I have been, to be honest there is nothing outside the Trance/House/Progressive world that I have seen being available and I have not been impressed with what I have seen.
nutnut

SaruSenin

Post by SaruSenin » Sun, 16 Jun 2013 6:54 pm

nutnut wrote:I have been, to be honest there is nothing outside the Trance/House/Progressive world that I have seen being available and I have not been impressed with what I have seen.
Well over the years there have been afew Dj's featured in the news and papers, mostly started from Swee Lee DJ Academy. I wont say they are the best but the better few in singapore!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 4:15 pm

Sorry for brining to life this zombie thread, but I wonder - can anybody give me at least one example of anybody who is actually CREATING EDM (any kind) in Singapore (may not be a SGrean, but at least resident)? Better with examples on Soundcloud. Boys/girls bands don't count.

Why music scene is so miserable in here? Yesterday in the gym when one skinny wuss was singing and dancing Gangnam style, I suddenly recalled "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"

gailwynand
Regular
Regular

Post by gailwynand » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 4:08 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Sorry for brining to life this zombie thread, but I wonder - can anybody give me at least one example of anybody who is actually CREATING EDM (any kind) in Singapore (may not be a SGrean, but at least resident)? Better with examples on Soundcloud. Boys/girls bands don't count.

Why music scene is so miserable in here? Yesterday in the gym when one skinny wuss was singing and dancing Gangnam style, I suddenly recalled "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"
Xhin is probably the most accomplished.

https://soundcloud.com/xhin

Also if you're talking about taking a $1500 "DJ course" you're going about it completely wrong. Buy your own damn turntables and get your head down and practice. Youtube videos and maybe some tips from your buddies are all the teaching you need.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 5:21 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Sorry for brining to life this zombie thread, but I wonder - can anybody give me at least one example of anybody who is actually CREATING EDM (any kind) in Singapore (may not be a SGrean, but at least resident)? Better with examples on Soundcloud. Boys/girls bands don't count.

When I came here I had a small hope about the existence of music subculture here, but alas this is as cosmetic as anything else.
The last remnant of anything associated with music HMV was dismantled some time ago and there is no hope for any creativity arising from this place.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 5:44 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:....
if you guys want to make friends with some cool DJs drop me a note.

local DJs and you can pick their brain(s?) ... they know music ... unfortunately I am not that musically inclined