Singapore Expats

Movie weekends!

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
cynobis

Movie weekends!

Post by cynobis » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 7:43 am

Hey~ morning everyone!

local chinese female looking for movie going friends! If you're wanna watch a movie during weekends (or fri evening), tell me! =D

Would be nice if we have a group! Will be happy to organise.

Here's the movies I'm interested (watching Man Of Steel tonight, yay!)
- epic
- monsters university
- pacific rim
- wolverine

Any movie suggestions? ^^
☆〜 S t E f A N i E

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 8:30 am

Are you serious???

I've been looking at all 3 big movie chains since last weekend, and I couldn't find any that shows Man of Steel on Wednesday. Dafuq???

The Heat, This is The End, Elysium, The World's End, those are in my list...oh, and Kick-Ass 2

Why not join in the thread here?
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic95478.html
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

cynobis

Post by cynobis » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 8:51 am

Thanks akimbo!!!

8-) I got to watch today cos I'm on the premiere invite!
☆〜 S t E f A N i E

SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGslinger » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:05 am

Am I the only one who thinks that this has been a terrible summer for movies, with a bunch of stupidly made blockbuster-type films?

Yes, we know Hollywood is getting dumber, but this summer has been pretty bad even given that.

I'm waiting for The World's End, but can't see anything else that excites me. I'll wait a while for reviews before I go watch Man of Steel. I only hope it's not a total turkey like Iron Man 3, Star Trek: Into Darkness, or the worst of the lot -- After Earth.

Smarter films (many of which are Oscar bait) tend to release at the end of the year. But I still don't get why the big studios don't try to make their summer films just a little bit more intelligent by using well-written scripts, logical plotlines, and decent actors.
Last edited by SGslinger on Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:47 am

I do admit Iron Man 3 is not up to par, especially considering how everybody got teased on the arrival of The Mandarin. Story and plot developments could've gone much better.

Star Trek just didn't win for me, personally. Maybe because I wasn't much of a Trekkie, and I guess only a fan would've gone gaga for the twist at a certain death. (I didn't get what's so special about it until I saw the original WrathofK)

Well, too bad for you Slinger, but the reviews on MOS has been anything but stellar.

From what I gather from reading most of the reviews, although as an origin story it still passes, apparently Zac Snyder was going too much on the sheer awe of the spectacles, especially the fight scenes instead of developing more on the internal struggle of the "brooding" (too heavily used words by critics apparently on reviewing MOS) Superman over his allegiance with his adopted world and his home world, as well as the relationships with his father, mother and Lois Lane that would should bring him down to Earth.

But I will watch it tonight, and I'll judge it myself whether it hits close to home or not...

How's about Kick-Ass 2, Slinger? The first was so much win...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

cynobis

Post by cynobis » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 8:18 pm

Waiting for World's end too. True that there's not much worth remembering movies this summer. Iron man 3 was so so. Man of steel is not light hearted enough for critics but I'm guessing it to out gross Iron man 3. I feel there's 1 scene that just don't gel in MOS but love the cinematic scenes and funny each time Kevin Costner was on the screen, I was sad... Hahaha! Love the cast except for Amy. How's the movie akimbo? :)
☆〜 S t E f A N i E

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:01 am

In one sentence, "It lacks heart"

In one word, "Disappointing"...because I'm still a nice guy (if not as a fan of Superman, the score is) 6.7/10

My comments from the previous post is already a good enough review about Man of Steel.

Individually, the actors portraying their characters are great, but there was just no chemistry, I didn't feel anything about their connection to each other. The plot development pretty much sucked, not making us relatable to their emotions.

There's also the shaky cam effect throughout scenes that do not need it. (although this could've been because I was not watching the Digital version, and it's just a VERY INEXPERIENCED crew behind the projector)

To each his/her own, but still...how can you say you don't like Amy Adams as Lois Lane because she is....too old?

What kind of Lois Lane did you expect? If she were just playing a die hard journalist who wants to know the truth but also keeps her morality in check because the truth might scare the world, but it so happens that the reporter is a woman, then she's perfect for it as a modern day Lois Lane.

The circumstances in which she was helpless are all events that she cannot get herself out of (falling from a plane, Supes catches her). The escape scene was an example of where she isn't helpless at all.

CGI scenes/fight scenes were spectacular, but truly, do you want to see just those CGIs? I'm a sucker for smart dialogues, not hack-n-slash.

I did see one review that mentioned "There's a big twist in the movie that will make every fanboy debate about it...or not."

And truly that twist is what saved this movie for me, as it makes it more...."Batman Begins" :wink:. But you won't see it until somewhere around 2 hours later...because of that twist, I jacked up my score to 7.3/10...

But still, Zack Snyder, as a director you've failed Christopher Nolan. Prepare to have inception, and a bat haunting your bedroom...

cynobis

Post by cynobis » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 5:20 am

On Amy, my take on a pun. ;) it irritates me she is not adorable enough here! Somewhat her feel is she is kinda old/portrayed too seriously.

No chemistry? Felt that too, especially 1 scene of Superman & Lois. I cringe but was funny to me after. Superman was like a polite school boy and Lois cradle snatcher. Haha... Just joking ok.

What can I say, I love CGIs. They are like the polish on nail polish or car shine! We need CGIs for out of this world effects! What do you think of his cape? Natural isn't it? You can feel they polish the movie well. Except for the shaky part, that had me on "what is that?" too...

And all's that left is the hypnotising drumming of black zero.

Scenes are cut, explains why something's off... Sequel anyone? :D
☆〜 S t E f A N i E

SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGslinger » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:06 am

Here's a list of films that look interesting

June 27: Disconnect, Ecstasy

July 4: Blind Detective (HK); The Look of Love

July 25: Before Midnight

August 22: Only God Forgives

SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGslinger » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:08 am

Also:

Sept. 12: The World's End

Sept 19: Gravity

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 11:53 am

I'm aiming for Before Midnight...finally I can see the end! 20 years to make it this far, dude!!! :cool:

cynobis

Post by cynobis » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 7:39 pm

Wow, good movies list... Gotta watch!
☆〜 S t E f A N i E

cynobis

Post by cynobis » Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:38 pm

ah..... the haze..... :-#

watched Epic... hmm... i much prefer Arthur and the Minimoys by Luc Besson.
☆〜 S t E f A N i E

littlepuppet

Post by littlepuppet » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 6:31 pm

Hey CY
Pm me if you organize any movie nite ya:))

cynobis

Post by cynobis » Sat, 27 Jul 2013 9:10 pm

Am glad u asked. Well I didn't organise any movie note but I would like to!

What sort of movies do ya wanna watch? I'm up for conjuring.

I also got 1 tick for Turbo premiere if ur interested in animation, I don't mind having u to watch with me! :)
☆〜 S t E f A N i E