Singapore Expats

1 Sept Cut off Admission Date for International School

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
AnnabelG

1 Sept Cut off Admission Date for International School

Post by AnnabelG » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 5:30 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a nursery class for my daughter who is turning 3 on 1 Sept 2014. However, when I called up one of the International Schools, they told me that since she was born on 1 Sept, and the cut off admission date is 1 Sept, she could only be enrolled in Sept 2015.

I am a bit concerned about this as she will be 4 instead of 3 when she starts on Nursery 1. Does anyone have a similar experience to share, and whether your child does well in school?

Just to highlight that I am not a Tiger Mum, and I am not trying to mould my child into a genius by force. I am just concerned that I am not giving her the correct educational stimulation required by her age. Or am I being overly concerned and anxious?

Any sharing is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dalila2

Post by Dalila2 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 8:05 pm

Hi AnnabelG,

My daughter has recently joined the nursery class at White Lodge and we like it a lot.

At first I was looking at the International Schools but did not like them. Then a friend of mine recommended White Lodge preschool and I think that has been a much better option for us. There are many expats who do not like Nursery classes at the International Schools and place their kids elsewhere and later transfer to IS at kindergarten age.

White Lodge is not the only preschool with lots of expat children, there are many more. Shop around.

AnnabelG

Post by AnnabelG » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks Dalila2 for the info. We are now exploring Swallows and Amazon as we like the school environment very much.

Will also check out White Lodge. Thanks!