Singapore Expats

Do Not Call List & unwanted texts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Do Not Call List & unwanted texts

Post by BedokAmerican » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 1:04 pm

Many of you probably already know this, but a "Do Not Call Registry" is scheduled to take effect in Singapore early next year:
http://www.pdpc.gov.sg/individuals/do-n ... gistry-you

But in the meantime, I get random solicitors calling and random text messages on my cell phone from what appear to be businesses. The end of the text message will often say that to opt out I need to SMS to a particular Singapore number. Does anyone know if that actually works? Or would it just be reaffirming that my phone number is functional?

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Do Not Call List & unwanted texts

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 1:58 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:just be reaffirming that my phone number is functional?

Thanks.
Sadly.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:35 pm

I usually reply with a "F*ck off, you stinking spammer. I would never buy your crap"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 08 Jun 2013 8:19 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I usually reply with a "F*ck off, you stinking spammer. I would never buy your crap"
My favorite line is, "Ooooh...I'm sorry but I'm migrating to New Zealand*. Actually, my flight is tomorrow morning."

* or any arbitrary country
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JJuulliiaa

Post by JJuulliiaa » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 5:27 pm

nakatago wrote:My favorite line is, "Ooooh...I'm sorry but I'm migrating to New Zealand*. Actually, my flight is tomorrow morning."

* or any arbitrary country
Haha that worked really well when we were on the way out of the UK, and generated extra smugness on my part as I was actually telling the truth :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 5:45 pm

Ah, I was looking for this clip:

http://youtu.be/KWIMRKq2eZI

Telemarketer calls guy, guy pretends to be detective investigating guy's murder.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 4:20 pm

Singtel itself is an SMS spammer. I've tried numerous times with the "reply unsub" and continue to receive their messages. It's maddening.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 4:27 pm

scarbowl wrote:Singtel itself is an SMS spammer. I've tried numerous times with the "reply unsub" and continue to receive their messages. It's maddening.
What's worse is I get promo SMS in Indonesian--even if I'm in another continent and on roaming. I've never been to Indonesia with an active Singapore SIM card before! I don't register for things willy-nilly so I strongly suspect that the source of my number is the stupid telco.

...or stupid colleagues who have my number.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 4:36 pm

I often have the inconvenience to have scam calls from China, telling me that I've won something and I need to bank in some fee for the money prize.

Once I decided to feign a Western accent and told the caller that I couldn't understand Chinese. Few days later, another scam call came back and this time it was in English (albeit with Chinese accent). Then I switched to Malay and told the caller I couldn't understand a single effing word she said!

Trollolololol...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 4:53 pm

I made the mistake years back of providing my business card in a bar to get half price drinks. It had my mobile number on it (my other mistake) and ever since then I've been spammed about all sorts of bar promotions.

I did reply unsub to Courts once. That seemed to work for a while but I seem to be back on their list again.

Normally I just delete.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 5:24 pm

M1 sends its spam as MMS!