Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore with 2 spinones

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:07 am

JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: And not "any Muslim". I used to golf at Batam all the time... dogs all over the place.
Well, yes, they don't have the best looking gals over there tis true... ;

But assuming you mean 4-legged 'Canis est in atrium' dogs, that's interesting to me. Were the ones you saw domestic pets, or guard dogs?

I've seen dogs kept as guard dogs in places like say Egypt. But never as pets. It reminds me of the distinction between the roles with working farm dogs.
They run loose all over the Kampongs... no idea if they are personal pets or community property... but I do see them on the golf course all the time... the four legged variety, that is. Definitely not guard dogs.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:53 am

katbh wrote:Yes, sorry not just Malay people but also Tamil. Any muslim.
PS: not all Malays are Muslim :) And not all Tamils are muslim .. ;)
Strong Eagle wrote: And not "any Muslim". I used to golf at Batam all the time... dogs all over the place.
And back home I know enough Muslims who keeps dogs at home ..

yes, it is a Religious thing but a lot of people have seen through the lack of logic in treating dogs, especially the part that .. Black Dogs are evil, or keeping the company of dogs voids a portion of a Muslim’s good deeds ...

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 12:34 pm

Sorry, did not think this was a race or religious thread. Yes, what you say is obvious. I was generalising. Sorry, next time I shall be uber specific...

Now...back to dogs...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 12:40 pm

At least there's no risk of them being eaten here...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 1:40 pm

PNGMK wrote:At least there's no risk of them being eaten here...
my other half will not be thrilled with that wording .. ;)

Well, her area is not known for dog eating, but thereabouts .. there are some tribes who do eat dog .. though they claim they butcher old dogs .. not puppies ..

Rubyrosie

Thank you again x

Post by Rubyrosie » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:11 pm

Hi all

Thanks again for the replies....just to clarify spinones are very soft , happy go lucky dogs .....they don't have a bad bone in their bodies. And adore everyone....so hopefully they would be ok....how much does it cost to tent houses ? X

Rosie

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:23 am

ecureilx wrote: PS: not all Malays are Muslim :)
Did not know that at all. Thanks.
‘While at Raffles, why not visit Singapore?' Indeed.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 1:41 am

ecureilx wrote:PS: not all Malays are Muslim :)
I worked in Malaysia... mostly KL... for two years... and have vacationed a lot in the rural areas. I have never met a Malay who wasn't Muslim.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Thank you again x

Post by katbh » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 7:10 am

Rubyrosie wrote:Hi all

Thanks again for the replies....just to clarify spinones are very soft , happy go lucky dogs .....they don't have a bad bone in their bodies. And adore everyone....so hopefully they would be ok....how much does it cost to tent houses ? X

Rosie
House prices, like condos vary. I pay 4400 for shop house in east coast. But you can pay 30,000+ per months if you want.

Only problem for a person new to singapore is that it limits who you meet and also often will not have a pool. I have a medium size sheep dog and have lived with her in condos many times. Have found no problem living in the condo until she got to about 16 and needs to go to the loo every hour or so. My advice would be to make your first home here a condo. You can meet people and being new to the heat you will probably like a pool (as you stay here longer you find you use the pool less and less). If you get a condo near one of the coasts (east coast appears to be best) you will get a funny small beach to take them to. If you stay central try to get near the reservoir or other large park area.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 9:51 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:PS: not all Malays are Muslim :)
I worked in Malaysia... mostly KL... for two years... and have vacationed a lot in the rural areas. I have never met a Malay who wasn't Muslim.
Well, Google for Malay Christians ..

I have a friend in KL, of Malay lineage, and is a practicing Christianity .. been so for generations and insists there are a lot of Malay Christians in Sabah .. and well, goes on to say that it is a burning issue .. complicated by some Pastors ..

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:37 am

And there are malaysians who look malay but are actually catholic eurasians (especially in Malacca). There are plenty of Malaysian Chinese christians. And yes we all know that Malaysia was Malaya until unification with SIA - Singapore. But the word Malay implies (if nothing else) someone who is muslim.
And in Malaysia it is illegal (very illegal) to convert to christianity and if you are of 'malay' descent, regardless of for how long you have been christian, it is illegal. I mean ILLEGAL, not just culturally frowned upon.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:44 am

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:At least there's no risk of them being eaten here...
my other half will not be thrilled with that wording .. ;)

Well, her area is not known for dog eating, but thereabouts .. there are some tribes who do eat dog .. though they claim they butcher old dogs .. not puppies ..
When I was in/off Sulawesi last year, some fellow guests at the hotel I was staying reported dog for sale in the local market.

But that is nothing if you've been around and about in China, where they seem to eat just about anything...

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 3:20 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
katbh wrote:
JR8 wrote: Yes, sorry not just Malay people but also Tamil. Any muslim.
And not "any Muslim". I used to golf at Batam all the time... dogs all over the place.
yah im confused with this, the muslims in the Philippines have dogs..

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Thank yo

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for all the info, it does not sound as if it is a good place to bring a pair of gun dogs..does anyone have larger Labrador, retriever size dogs out there....? They are a big part of our family and it would be awful if we had to leavethembehind??

Thanks
we have a labrador (see pic) :) our main problem was the housing..we initially lived in an hdb but its not allowed and our neighbor complained about the dog. so we had to move to a private housing. Just to give you an idea bout the local's perspective on dogs, the option given to us was "Get rid of the dog or move out". thats the exact wording. we also walk the dog at night so there are less people on the streets.also helpful if you seek a neighborhood that has alot of dogs in the area. also always confirm with the landlord if the large dogs or pets are allowed. Also do not let your dog come in contact with other dogs even if yours are friendly...some owners here dont like their dogs get near other dogs as they think their pet will be hurt. so you must ask permission first.

there are dog parks/dog run in bishan park, west coast park and theres a pet pool and dog run at petmovers (s)pte ltd. place.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Thank yo

Post by JR8 » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks for all the info, it does not sound as if it is a good place to bring a pair of gun dogs..does anyone have larger Labrador, retriever size dogs out there....? They are a big part of our family and it would be awful if we had to leavethembehind??
Thanks
At the risk of repeating myself.
You don't see many large dogs in SG, never minds' gun-dogs'.
Many people will be afraid of them
Many landlords won't let to you.
Dogs in Singapore are toys, things to carry about in handbags.

But you must already know what kind of property you expect to rent. How are your working dogs going to cope with being indoors in such a space 23.5/24hrs?