Singapore Expats

Be a little bit more careful and perhaps discreet people.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That, or practicing for National Day has started already.
I'm wondering about the fighter jets burning up the sky seemingly 20hrs a day.

... Never lived anywhere else where this happens...

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:20 am

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:That, or practicing for National Day has started already.

I noticed that too, yesterday afternoon they were very active. Hmmmmm

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:47 am

Steve1960 wrote:
JR8 wrote:

I noticed that too, yesterday afternoon they were very active. Hmmmmm
partly because of the SAF basing the new F15s in Paya Lebar, the city does get more than an occasional fighter passing by .. me thinks ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:52 am

It's especially busy around National Day, but I would see pairs of jets landing multiple times a day when I worked at Paya Lebar MRT (directly in line with the runway). Any time of the year.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:00 am

It is my understanding that Singapore has at least one fighter in the air at all times. From a reliable source...well from a source....well from my daughters P6 friend whose daddy was in the airforce...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:01 am

Quiet today, but certainly had 50 odd bombing runs over our neighborhood yesterday pm

Don't know why they bother. We all know the 6th Fleet is anchored up off Changi...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:17 am

katbh wrote:It is my understanding that Singapore has at least one fighter in the air at all times. From a reliable source...well from a source....well from my daughters P6 friend whose daddy was in the airforce...
Well, very very unlikely . they may have a G550 or E2C in the air at all times ..
JR8 wrote:Quiet today, but certainly had 50 odd bombing runs over our neighborhood yesterday pm

Don't know why they bother. We all know the 6th Fleet is anchored up off Changi...

PS: correction, the 6th Fleet doesn't anchor "OFF Changi" anymore .. they berth in the Changi Base :) and that's including the carriers ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:36 am

ecureilx wrote: PS: correction, the 6th Fleet doesn't anchor "OFF Changi" anymore .. they berth in the Changi Base :) and that's including the carriers ...

Hahaha really?

so this is the 51st state of america....

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:42 am

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: PS: correction, the 6th Fleet doesn't anchor "OFF Changi" anymore .. they berth in the Changi Base :) and that's including the carriers ...

Hahaha really?

52nd methinks... You forget Puerto Rico ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:47 am

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote: Don't know why they bother. We all know the 6th Fleet is anchored up off Changi...

PS: correction, the 6th Fleet doesn't anchor "OFF Changi" anymore .. they berth in the Changi Base :) and that's including the carriers ...
PS: correction, it's the 7th Fleet.
The officially stated mission of the Sixth Fleet in 2011 is that it 'conducts the full range of Maritime Operations and Theater Security Cooperation missions in concert with coalition, joint, interagency and other parties in order to advance security and stability in Europe and Africa.'
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:53 am

'''52nd state''' maybe so.

Does the US have any other on-site military bases around the world. It has in Japan (for complex reasons).

So these fly-boys going up and down (and how boring must it be, doing a 20 mile run) are Yanks are they? ... Or is this the life of a SAF pilot, 20 miles up and down, up and down, up and down, all completely pointlessly...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 11:59 am

JR8 wrote:

Hahaha really?

It was USS Kitty Hawk that was the first deep draft vessel to dock in the New base - early 2000's or later I think .. and then onwards, all carriers dock than anchor off-shore ..

51st state ? I don't know .. but Singapore has spent a lot of money on the New Changi Base

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 12:04 pm

Ignoring the chest puffing antics of some of the respondents (aka how do you know someone was NOT in the CIA? He tells you he was...) - my main gripe now is that we don't get told if there is a raised level of security.... and clearly there recently has been and still may be. My point is that I'd rather stay inside than go out if the govt has decided to increase security because of some sort of risk analysis.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 12:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: PS: correction, it's the 7th Fleet.
ooops ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 2:05 pm

ecureilx wrote: It was USS Kitty Hawk that was the first deep draft vessel to dock in the New base - early 2000's or later I think .. and then onwards, all carriers dock than anchor off-shore ..
Oh, Is that why there's so many 'Hello Kitty' toys in this country?