Singapore Expats

Any metal / rock pubs or hangouts in Singapore?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
xynner

Any metal / rock pubs or hangouts in Singapore?

Post by xynner » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:27 pm

Hey there. Does any one know where the local metal or hard rock scene hang out here?

My 2 local metal head friends tell me that there is no fixed location... :/

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 9:13 am

I am interested in this too, since there's a chance I'll be moving here.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:41 am

The number of metal/rock pubs in Singapore

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:42 am

...I will be watching for this thread for any info because obviously I'm still looking around for one after so many years...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:59 am

the lynx wrote:...I will be watching for this thread for any info because obviously I'm still looking around for one after so many years...
come to the prince of wales at dunlop street Little India, theres a band playing almost every other day, its not pop , its a bit of rock some alternative some non mainstream stuff basically.
you can come over and jam if you want too. drop me a line if you are coming
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 12:04 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
the lynx wrote:...I will be watching for this thread for any info because obviously I'm still looking around for one after so many years...
come to the prince of wales at dunlop street Little India, theres a band playing almost every other day, its not pop , its a bit of rock some alternative some non mainstream stuff basically.
you can come over and jam if you want too. drop me a line if you are coming
I also feed on alternative rock. Will drop by when I have the chance. Thanks.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 26 Apr 2013 9:12 am

There is another rock pub that a local friend told me of. It is called JJs at Tanjong Pagar. I have not been there yet but I will, this Tuesday before May 1st :wink: Just found out about it not long ago so I'm itching to check it out.

There is a band called The Heritage who plays at JJs regularly. I hear that they cover awesome rock songs from the good old days.
Last edited by the lynx on Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:10 am

the lynx wrote:There is another rock pub that a local friend told me of. It is called JJs at Tanjong Pagar. I have not been there yet but I will soon this Tuesday before May 1st :wink: Just found out about it not long ago so I'm itching to check it out.

There is a band called The Heritage who plays at JJs regularly. I hear that they cover awesome rock songs from the good old days.
JJ's is in the Duxton Hill area and is very interesting bar .......

Its a very strange combo of an old school rock bar and a girl bar.

The band is awesome, at least the one on Saturday nights, I dont know if its the same every night.

Its gets very busy with lots of Oldies so get there early to get a table.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:51 pm

Heritage has been around for donkey's years. The were playing back when my wife was still singing back in the '80's.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 03 May 2013 2:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Heritage has been around for donkey's years. The were playing back when my wife was still singing back in the '80's.
Went there for The Heritage band few days ago and I really had good time! Never in my life had I ever been amazed by a very very old dude (twice hunched over) who still rocks on bass guitar. :) The drummer was a mean machine!

And yeah, the good old rock songs from father's days :P

And I wonder why I hadn't heard of them sooner!

I hear that they play there from 11pm, Mondays to Saturdays.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 03 May 2013 3:00 pm

the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Heritage has been around for donkey's years. The were playing back when my wife was still singing back in the '80's.
Went there for The Heritage band few days ago and I really had good time! Never in my life had I ever been amazed by a very very old dude (twice hunched over) who still rocks on bass guitar. :) The drummer was a mean machine!

And yeah, the good old rock songs from father's days :P

And I wonder why I hadn't heard of them sooner!

I hear that they play there from 11pm, Mondays to Saturdays.
Old boy on the bass guitar isnt there everytime as obviously he is getting on in years and probably cant tear it up every night of the week anymore....

Maybe we head there as the after dinner entertainment at the next gathering?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Wed, 15 May 2013 3:47 pm

does anyone know of any rock or alternative bands in singapore that write and perform original music on a regular basis? i've never really seen or heard such a thing. it seems like there could be a circuit or 3 or 4 bars where original local/regional bands play around the island? i wouldn't be surprised if there are 0 though..

EK100

Post by EK100 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:38 pm

Hello heliotropic

Actually there are quite a lot of local bands... Wikipedia lists a few. The scene is relatively small, but it certainly exists!

It helps to be au fait with new media to keep up with the gigs - they don't get listed in publications like time out, but events certainly happen. The weekend before last was something called music matters, and recently there was the marine parade rocks festival...

Home club in boat quay hosts plenty of local gigs, so try keeping tabs on what they have coming up. You can also catch local bands playing every Sunday for free at the esplanade. :)

EK100

Post by EK100 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:42 pm

Ooh here there's an event on 9 June with local acts http://www.homeclub.com.sg/uncategorize ... nch-party/

If you read the write up, it lists lots of other local talent. I'm fond of Caracal, personally :)

EK100

Post by EK100 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:52 pm

Aha! Bingo! Just remembered Baybeats is coming up. Check this out then tell me Singapore has no bands :o :lol:

http://www.baybeats.com.sg/2013/bands/

See you there?