Singapore Expats

Best city ever?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 6:27 pm

Dubai and Singapore are arguably equally as 'fake' societies.

If you enjoyed visiting Oman from Dubai, why not enjoy using SG as a gateway to the region? There are some amazing places within a few hours flying time...

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 6:35 pm

been across the causeway and been up north and surrounding apac region so many got kinda bored. i guess a change a scenario would be good hence the raving about dubai :)

nx on my list is nyc and rio de janeiro
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 7:05 pm

I can see Dubai for what it is but I love it for that. We used to go just to eat.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 7:35 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I can see Dubai for what it is but I love it for that. We used to go just to eat.
... and how sad is that for a reflection upon where you lived?

...I hope they paid you shed-loads!

reminds me of being offered a relo to India back in the 90's:

- Them. Think of it, do 3 years there, and you'll never need to work again.
- Me. I've 'done' (know) India, no thanks.
- You'll retire by 40!
- No thanks.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 7:51 pm

Well, it was somewhere you'd have to view in winter to get a real idea and properly live in to realise it was not even a half way decent location and nowhere near suitable for families. The plane out was full the first day of the school hols and any long weekend was spent in Dubai. I packed my son and my bump and went home.

But it's an experience and we learn. I learned a lot, how to cook corned beef and cabbage in 10 different ways.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 8:47 pm

Hannieroo wrote: But it's an experience and we learn. I learned a lot, how to cook corned beef and cabbage in 10 different ways.
I'm getting flashbacks to a Norwegian dish called 'Lap-scause'. Corned beef, interleaved with slices of potato, then baked.

Dunno... expect it was a war/rationing thing...

(It actually was quite a treat, as a child)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 9:03 pm

I made something similar. I think we ate it 4 times one week. The boys won't eat potatoes now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 9:21 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I made something similar. I think we ate it 4 times one week. The boys won't eat potatoes now.

http://www.food.com/recipe/norwegian-labscouse-50244

[Bit stunned this dish really exists, vs it having been just some austerity-dish my mother made up back in the 70s]

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:26 pm

For us it was something called Hamburger Helper.

But my Mom made a mean corned beef and cabbage every St. Patty's.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:58 pm

Yep, Hamburger Helper, Macaroni & Cheese, corned beef & cabbage, Tuna Casserole and my winter time favourite, pinto beans & ham hocks.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:17 pm

Ham hock? Not available. I did spend £20 on a pack of wall's sausages. 5 bucks each.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 7:48 am

Wd40 wrote: look at this lonely planet guide:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/themes/best ... 10-cities/
Go to SF to see the Americas Cup? Really? That's a f*cking joke. Larry has turned it into a two team race by outspending every other team and forcing them out of the competition. I guess that's how rich people enjoy competing.

Most lists like this are pretty shallow and worthless, but this one especially. I've been to more than half, and lived in number 1. I've never heard of #4 or #7 except in passing, and had to look in Google Maps to even figure out exactly where they were. I couldn't see spending more than 2-3 day in San Francisco.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:32 am

Hannieroo wrote:Ham hock? Not available. I did spend £20 on a pack of wall's sausages. 5 bucks each.
Here's a tip. When ever you have friends coming in from the 'civilised world', get them to bring in a few pounds of sausages.

a) ask them to choose the longest sell-by dates.
b) for each pack, wrap/tape tightly in 3-4 sheets of broadsheet newspaper.
c) leave wrapped thus in the freezer until just before leaving.
d) at last minute remove from freezer, and pack inside anything highly insulating, woolens etc., in the middle of your hold luggage.

I have brought sweet sausage-relief to the huddled Brit expat masses (well, my dive buddies :)) using this method. Even 12-15hr journeys to the desert ... just pack them at the last minute, and on arrival get them back in the freezer ASAP.

p.s. You can consider whether to split up 1lb-packs before freezing, as you can't easily split them once frozen; and you're unlikely to want to defrost/eat a full pack in one go. I'd quite often by default split packs into halves...

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 06 Jun 2013 9:45 pm

Depends on where you're coming from and where you're going - my MiL was bummed when the beef jerky omiyage she bought wasn't allowed in the country and was confiscated on arrival.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 8:42 am

One of my coolest trip is going from Patagonia (super cold) to seeing Iguazu falls (hot and humid) within 2 weeks. Both places are extremely remote with no shopping at all and you are really exposed to true nature. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have the trip ending in Rio, sipping caipirinha on the beach.