Singapore Expats

Is it good that IT prof move to Singapore(from India)?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
dossat

Is it good that IT prof move to Singapore(from India)?

Post by dossat » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 2:22 am

Hello, I'm working as Senior IT executive (7 Years- experience) in a reputed company (in chennai India). My Role: PeopleSoft HCM - Techno-functional consultant. Salary 68000 INR (~1500 SGD). Married having 1 kid(4yr)
I would like to move to Singapore for better pay.
Quetions:
1) Is it good idea to move Singapore?
2) How much salary can I expect ?
3) I would like to have in Hand atleast 2000SGD (after all expenses); is it possible?
4) which one would be best option - Non-IT companies / IT Consulting?
5) can I accept short term (say 2/3 yrs) contract jobs offered by consulting companies?
6) what are the things I need to consider before taking decision?
7) Can you suggest some job portal?

Your help is greatly appreciated Thanks!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 2:54 am

No. Simple reason - India's growth will outstrip Singapore's forever from now on. Don't believe the lies your brothers here tell you - they are all miserable paupers for moving here.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Is it good that IT prof move to Singapore(from India)?

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 9:53 am

Answers in blue. I normally hate doing that, but felt it was appropriate here...
dossat wrote: Quetions:
1) Is it good idea to move Singapore? - Probably not, at the moment.
2) How much salary can I expect ? - As much as you can negotiate for. Anywhere between 4000 and 7000 SGD, depending on your experience and negotiation skills.
3) I would like to have in Hand atleast 2000SGD (after all expenses); is it possible? - Difficult, looking at the high rent and school fees, and seeing as you are not single.
4) which one would be best option - Non-IT companies / IT Consulting? - Does not really matter, IMO.
5) can I accept short term (say 2/3 yrs) contract jobs offered by consulting companies? - If you are a risk-taker, yes.
6) what are the things I need to consider before taking decision? - Whether you can afford a good lifestyle for your whole family.
7) Can you suggest some job portal? - Yes. Just google.

Your help is greatly appreciated Thanks!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 6:21 pm

OP, you sound like you are looking at a "bird in bush" kind of situation. Did you get any offer from a Singaporean company yet? It would be crazy even to think of moving here without any offer.

Having said that, give it go, apply for companies, if you get an offer >=7k its worth the move. If not stay where you are.