Singapore Expats

Be a little bit more careful and perhaps discreet people.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:55 am

Brah wrote:As no one was harmed by the mention and a little extra vigilance does no harm I say shout out whenever something doesn't seem right.

The guy who saw the unattended knapsack that exploded at the Boston Marathon will never forgive himself for not doing so.

You guys are being a little harsh on OSOD.
OSOD's wording and manner of delivery were inappropriate for a such a message. Vigilance does no harm, but his message only roused paranoia or ridicule. You don't tell people "I know a secret but I can't tell you! But be really careful for the next few days, or something bad might happen if you're white!" and expect to be taken seriously.

His follow-up message (below your post but above this one) was much more appropriate and should have been what he originally posted.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:56 am

Hannieroo wrote:I am loathe to post this but PNG is not saying the whole story because he can't, just 80% and based on that 80% I do believe that expats, particularly caucasian ones, should be a little more aware. FFS it's not like he told us to pack up or start stockpiling clam chowder. I wasn't scared or riled, just aware I might be more interesting than usual.
And so did you have more insight and know the part he can't? Or just buying into the paranoia/hype?

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 8:01 am

The former. And if it was me I wouldn't be posting that bit on a message board either but yes, I think OSOD was right to be wary and right to share as much as he could. Again, he only asked that people be a little more aware than usual.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 8:15 am

So, Hannie & OSOD, as the thread is technically over, and you claim to know the other 20%, if it wasn't a result of the annual Shangri la dialog, (when there is always a heightened police presence over the whole island), and you also knew about it, it should be okay to divulge to us now, wouldn't you think? Or are you all still playing to the gallery? I reckon it is everybody's duty to highlight these things rather than play silly guessing games which could cause somebody's angina to act up or their HBP to spike and cause a heart attack. I'm afraid I would have to agree with zzm9980 on this one. Some people might HAVE to be out and about in public so if you two were aware of something and didn't bother to inform us fully........

Let's just say, I think this was handled rather badly. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 8:19 am

You know what, that's why I said I was reluctant to post. It's not my story to tell. I am fully aware of how it looks but as I haven't experienced anything myself over and above obvious Shangri La stuff like yesterday's roadblocks then I can't actually comment. God. Awkward.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 9:52 am

zzm9980 wrote:So you should have posted that in the first place then.
I'll admit to finding the whole thing difficult to post about. My experiences were personal but had a global feel. I hope you never have the same experience and as I recall you are another overseas mod so you may no longer feel the 'vibe' Singapore has when something is not right. I feel no need to apologize - if I stopped you going to beach I'm in the wrong but I'd be in mental hell right now if I had not said something and some nutter tried to take out the big wigs. I grew up in a very violent country (PNG) and I learnt the hard way that staying in... and losing out on a bit of fun .... is a lot nicer than suffering a violent act on oneself..... I also learnt that the community of expats generally appreciate being given a heads up - we don't face the same level of one on one violence in Singapore as I did in PNG but we do face a much higher risk of a wider event.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 10:17 am

PNGMK wrote:and as I recall you are another overseas mod so you may no longer feel the 'vibe' Singapore has when something is not right.
You recall incorrectly, as I am neither a mod nor overseas.

I'm sorry if you had a bad personal experience (Did the security forces touch you in a private place?) but I still find yours and Hannie's lines of reasoning silly. You could have said what you did in a much more factual manner without all of the hyperbole, or just not posted it as all. It just screams stirring up drama to me.

This is almost as ridiculous as the Indonesian who recently threatened me with black magic (long story), but then all of the professional educated Indonesians I know here that told me *it's real* and to be careful. :roll: :roll:

I have to deal with rumors and innuendo on a daily basis for my job, and it amazes me how many otherwise seemingly educated people always fall for such bullshit.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 10:22 am

Hannieroo wrote:The former. And if it was me I wouldn't be posting that bit on a message board either but yes, I think OSOD was right to be wary and right to share as much as he could. Again, he only asked that people be a little more aware than usual.
So there was a real potential threat affecting the security situation in Singapore with legitimate sources of information that an expat's wife and a born-again christian forum troll both independently received information about, but is too secret to share beyond vague rumors? Right. I believe you now.

And if you really believe this shit, I have a Nigerian Bureaucrat friend who you should meet. He's a nice guy and has a way for the two of you to make a lot of money if you help him with some bank transfers. It's really legit, I swear, but I can't talk about it anymore on the forum... :wink: :cool:

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:11 am

Jeez, no. You are reading to much into that. He had some experiences that appeared unusual to all happen in one day, so based on that my thinking was it's coincidence which happens or there is something that might just be related to him or might be expat. Now, based on that I kept a closer eye on the news because you never know. How is that a conspiracy theory? But in his shoes I wouldn't have posted details either. If only for privacy reasons.

And I can't say more than that because it's not my story and I don't care. I only posted because I thought he was getting a rough deal.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 12:16 pm

I can understand OSOD's paranoia if he was raised in PNG. I've worked there. It's scary. The homes in Pt. Moresby alone, look like the US Embassy here in Singapore what with the 10 foot or higher walls topped with rolls of concertina wire and broken glass bits in the concrete. And those are just personal homes of the well to do. I've seen open trucks rolling in broad daylight with a dozen or more armed louts in the back and was told while out on the road, never stop if you value your life if you are behind one of them or one is behind you. So, while I don't think the situation was that grave here, I can understand where his paranoia may be coming from. Fair Dinkum, mate.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 12:38 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Jeez, no. You are reading to much into that.
You said "the former" when I asked "And so did you have more insight and know the part he can't? Or just buying into the paranoia/hype?"

Implying you also thought you knew something about the secret sinister plot. My apologies then if I misinterpreted.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 12:45 pm

No, sorry I misread that to read did osod tell you about his weird day? Not have you heard any plots? Because no. I'm finding the secret service aren't returning my calls.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 2:17 pm

Hannie, I misread your posts the same way zzm did. That's why I had included you with OSOD in that post of mine. Sorry.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 2:32 pm

Phew.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 3:49 pm

PNGMK wrote:A little more explanation.

In the course of less than an hour I experienced three encounters with the 'SPF' which, in my twenty years experience here, did not appear to conform to my previous understanding of their normal protocol (having had at least 10 encounters before). I'm not going to explain the events as they are personal. I put 'SPF' in brackets because I honestly do not know which branch/s of the government I was dealing with. I would almost never bother to alert others of this but clearly, and this has been borne out since, there was a raised security alert and it was not being publicized (IMO) to the general public. As the manner I was approached appeared to be based on my appearance and I felt it was reasonable to warn other expats there may be something up and to be a little cautious. I did not say run for the hills. NONE of the Singaporeans I mentioned this to felt I was being unreasonably paranoid; MS being the obvious exception.
Good grief OP !!!
As I said before and I said it again you know dog sh*t !!!!.
There is a different between being paranoid and vigilant and you my friend is being paranoid.
I am rebuking you for this because you feed fear into people's mind for no obvious reason.
SG has 1hr NO TIME MOVE on any major incident, 2 HR to mobilise ONE BATTALLION and so forth
Security conscious SG has a multiple layer of contingency even I am not aware of.
What you have encountered due to heighten security is nothing new.
We got the worst or one of the worst regional tension when Chaim Herzog visited SG in early 80s. It got so much worse that there were 3 Brigade on 2 NTM. That is about 3 thousand men on standby
It was a miscalculated guess work by G2 on this case which escalate into reqional tension.
If you have something to share, post it from the onset and let everyone be the judge rather than saying " I know a secret but I am not telling you"
What a dork !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!