Singapore Expats

How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:44 am

i'm less cynical on the subject. in my experience it depends what type of store you're going to whether or not that deals are good during GSS. everyone should know that rug and carpet shops always have year-round signs outside that say "going out of business liquidation sale". some places really do offer good deals though, like yoga studios or spas - things slightly outside the usual idea of shopping..

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 4:42 pm

Ok, everyone, thanks for your feedback. I had a similar shopping-related question:

Many times at malls, there are very long lines of people (sometimes several hundred) waiting to see the attendants at the customer service counters. I know that they can't all be asking for directions. Does that have anything to do with a sale or is it for some other reason? It's just very strange.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 8:31 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:Ok, everyone, thanks for your feedback. I had a similar shopping-related question:

Many times at malls, there are very long lines of people (sometimes several hundred) waiting to see the attendants at the customer service counters. I know that they can't all be asking for directions. Does that have anything to do with a sale or is it for some other reason? It's just very strange.
It's a promotion. I see it at Parkway all of the time. Usually it's something like spend $50+ or $100+ dollars, wait in a 30+ minute queue, and redeem your receipt for some piece of crap worth $7 that you wouldn't buy for $1 with no queue.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:45 pm

Or, to redeem the "free parking" with your receipts, of course with certain minimum of purchase amount and max to certain number of hours, example 2 hrs free parking for first 50 shoppers with min purchase $100. :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Post by JR8 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:05 am

BillyB wrote: Like Sergei suggests, it's an overcrowded nightmare. But, this is Singapore and the word 'discount' or 'sale' does get people moving like flies homing in on a big pile of sh*t.

In fact, they'd probably be able to flog sh*t in the Singapore sale if they advertised it as 20% off per kg in big enough writing........

I couldn't think of a worse place to spend Saturday afternoon than Orchard Road or one of the malls....perhaps the exception might be a gas chamber at Auschwitz.

Dazzling stuff Bunter, you surpass yourself! :)

Oh, and I agree, the GSS is just an avenue to clear the dross that even the SGns didn't want to buy when it was 25% off.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:40 am

JR8 wrote:
BillyB wrote: Like Sergei suggests, it's an overcrowded nightmare. But, this is Singapore and the word 'discount' or 'sale' does get people moving like flies homing in on a big pile of sh*t.

In fact, they'd probably be able to flog sh*t in the Singapore sale if they advertised it as 20% off per kg in big enough writing........

I couldn't think of a worse place to spend Saturday afternoon than Orchard Road or one of the malls....perhaps the exception might be a gas chamber at Auschwitz.

Dazzling stuff Bunter, you surpass yourself! :)

Oh, and I agree, the GSS is just an avenue to clear the dross that even the SGns didn't want to buy when it was 25% off.
Thanks, Gyrate.

Although the hypocrite in me did almost succumb today by buying one of those steam ironing things in Harvey Norman; that was until the sales rep burnt his fingers (and generally proved that it's easier to use an iron) whilst trying to demonstrate the 'value add & benefits'. Maybe he should have concentrated on his domestic duties rather than constantly highlighting there was $11 off the $369 retail price.........wah, thanks Lesley (sales rep), let me think about my potential taxi fares to raffles hospital versus the 3% saving!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 6:52 am

Now I know why people actually watch these demonstrations and why so eagerly.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 9:46 am

Yesterday we were at Tampines mall. It says "Sale", "Sale" everywhere. Almost every big retailer like kiddy Palace, Popular etc is doing a like 10% storewide discount(20% discount for members). Smaller shops are doing more of an eye wash. "$29 for T-Shirts" and then in small print "Min 3 pieces" or 50% off on 2nd purchase.

BHG says "Close door sale" lol. I wonder what it means. They seem to have barricaded major part of the entrance and letting people in via a narrow entrance and hence need to queue. Needless to say the place is jam packed from inside.

So yeah, the GSS seems to be good to get an like a token 10% discount. But the thing is you must have a need at the moment, or else you buying stuff you dont need.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:32 am

BillyB wrote: I couldn't think of a worse place to spend Saturday afternoon than Orchard Road or one of the malls..
Any of the heartland malls on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon is much worse than Orchard Rd. I assure you of this.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:39 am

zzm9980 wrote:
BillyB wrote: I couldn't think of a worse place to spend Saturday afternoon than Orchard Road or one of the malls..
Any of the heartland malls on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon is much worse than Orchard Rd. I assure you of this.
I HATE NEX! Worst part is it's within walking distance, even for an old coot like me. (2.4km) or a selection 6 buses from my flat. You can drive as well but.....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 1:27 pm

Wd40 wrote: BHG says "Close door sale" lol. I wonder what it means. They seem to have barricaded major part of the entrance and letting people in via a narrow entrance and hence need to queue. Needless to say the place is jam packed from inside.
Create an illusion of demand, and it generates demand, (especially in a 'cannot lose out' society).

Same technique is often used at nightclubs. A huge queue behind the velvet rope. You think, wow, so popular, must be packed in there: but when you eventually get let in an hour later there's you and a few other people rattling around an empty hall.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 2:01 pm

Have you been to Zouk yet? :shock:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 3:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Have you been to Zouk yet? :shock:
Er, well, last time I went was 1995: Does that count?

p.s. I'm probably not agile enough to podium-dance these days :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 4:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
I HATE NEX! Worst part is it's within walking distance, even for an old coot like me. (2.4km) or a selection 6 buses from my flat. You can drive as well but.....
Why? Whats wrong with NEX? Its probably the only mall catering to Serangoon/Hougang and nearby areas, so you dont have much choice. :)

I had this perception, mostly locals also do, that if an area doesn't have a mall that area is poor/pathetic :) My friends who live in Bedok, I used to tease them for the lack of mall, until the bedok point mall came up there :)

Me personally very proud of Tampines, we have 3 malls, lah. Never get bored. :cool:

But seriously, what can you do in Singapore without malls. Other than malls the only places we visit is boat quay, clark quay, little india, changi beach, singapore expo.

The ECP is bitch if you strictly want to use pubic transport. :x

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 5:45 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Me personally very proud of Tampines, we have 3 malls, lah. Never get bored. :cool:
One mall or three malls, who cares? Heartland malls have the same sets of shitty stores. You can go to Orchard for a bit more variety, but then it's the same set of upscale stores at maximum price.