Singapore Expats

Be a little bit more careful and perhaps discreet people.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 4:35 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Oh oh I get it!

http://www.iiss.org/en/events/shangri-s-la-s-dialogue

US Secretary of Defense, along with various regional leaders and heads of state, are at a conference in Singapore.
Could be .. could be.. the Calamity .. as I see is, OT is swamped with a few hundred extra punters and the supply is not there ... it is utter calamity ..
morenangpinay wrote:maybe your intel missed... instead of singapore should be philippines. a unit exploded yesterday in an upscale condo in manila and 3 are dead.
psst. that was a "GAS LEAK" ;) ;)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 8:29 pm

Brah wrote:Whatever the reason, I for one don't mind the heads up for something potential.
There is 'potentially' something every day.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:43 am

Are we all still here?

PNGMK did your event occur?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:55 am

bgd wrote:Are we all still here?

Paranoia is what made America today? Of course there are many goons out there wanting to make a statement be it by death or otherwise. Having said that , you got to carry on with your life. Life goes on.
Sh*t happens but that does not mean you stop doing your daily chores.
OP is literally a nutcase in every sense. Not wanting to share what he came across and post something that is nothing new in this current world we live in.
Feeding fear into people's mind is wrong if you are not prepared to share what you know.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:38 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
bgd wrote:Are we all still here?

Paranoia is what made America today? Of course there are many goons out there wanting to make a statement be it by death or otherwise. Having said that , you got to carry on with your life. Life goes on.
Sh*t happens but that does not mean you stop doing your daily chores.
OP is literally a nutcase in every sense. Not wanting to share what he came across and post something that is nothing new in this current world we live in.
Feeding fear into people's mind is wrong if you are not prepared to share what you know.
I'm now aware why my paranoia inched up a notch. I couldn't fathom why I was subjected to two random stops by plain clothes cops in a very short period nor why I was seeing the same in the MRTs - until as another poster pointed out I realized it was most likely due to heightened surveillance due to some bigwigs in town.... do I still think there was a chance of a calamity? Definitely - those guys are all active targets and my warning was valid and one day maybe Singapore will have a number like NYC, London etc (not that I want it to mind you). When you meet people who have survived the Marriott blast in Jkt or the Club bombing in Bali.... what resounds is how many of them saw or knew or suspected something was wrong and didn't stay in that night.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:48 am

PNGMK, maybe you have a very familiar face? I was never stopped, except for my huge gym bag.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:49 am

+1. Yes, indeed there was a heavy police presence this weekend. Lots of road blocks and checks in really strange places - like east coast park. Lots of police cars on the roads and I saw at least 5 police stops of cars and trucks. So yes, something was about!
katbh

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:04 pm

He was probably paranoid as this happens every so often when the annual Shangri-La Dialogue is held and there are lots of high level diplomats from all over the region here. The security at the Shangri La and it's surrounds leading up to it are phenomenal as paranoia seeps into the local constabulary's watch. Normal they are unobtrusive except during this dialog. I had a feeling that was what he was feeling on Friday, but as that is common every year, I wouldn't have thought that OSOD would have even given that a thought.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:15 pm

katbh wrote:+1. Yes, indeed there was a heavy police presence this weekend. Lots of road blocks and checks in really strange places - like east coast park. Lots of police cars on the roads and I saw at least 5 police stops of cars and trucks. So yes, something was about!
one police car in East Coast park, on Sunday was because of me :D :D long story though ;)

BTW, in East Coast park, even on Week Days the police cars do patrol driving along the cycling track.

I wish the cops got some beach buggies and went stylo ..

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:
katbh wrote:+1. Yes, indeed there was a heavy police presence this weekend. Lots of road blocks and checks in really strange places - like east coast park. Lots of police cars on the roads and I saw at least 5 police stops of cars and trucks. So yes, something was about!
one police car in East Coast park, on Sunday was because of me :D :D long story though ;)

BTW, in East Coast park, even on Week Days the police cars do patrol driving along the cycling track.

What? Sundown Marathon?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:22 pm

ecureilx wrote:
one police car in East Coast park, on Sunday was because of me :D :D long story though ;)..
Do tell. Slow start to the week here.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:30 pm

the lynx wrote: one police car in East Coast park, on Sunday was because of me :D :D long story though ;)

What? Sundown Marathon?[/quote]

nope .. Saturday was Sundown Marathon, Sunday, while attending to a casualty, called Civil Defense -> process says, for every SCDF call made, SPF has to also turn up .. that's what happened :)

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:43 pm

Sergei82 wrote:PNGMK, maybe you have a very familiar face? I was never stopped, except for my huge gym bag.
i don't think anyone in their right mind would stop you

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 1:00 pm

ecureilx wrote: nope .. Saturday was Sundown Marathon, Sunday, while attending to a casualty, called Civil Defense -> process says, for every SCDF call made, SPF has to also turn up .. that's what happened :)
Not disimilar to an experience I had in New Jersey, USA.

I was driving out of a multi-storey car-park at a mall. Came upon a woman prostrate on the concrete of the deck in front of me. Determined she was unconscious but breathing. Called 911. Commenced administering EFR first-aid.

An ambulance and police car arrived. The former tended to her, the latter read me my rights, then set about formally questioning me (a bit of a shock, as I was simply a 'good samaritan', and they certainly weren't polite about it!).

I do realise why it played out like that, but when you've got the adrenalin going and are tending to someone with the best of intentions, it can come over as pretty offensive.

p.s. She was a tall lady, and it seemed she had somehow walked head-first into a concrete cross-beam, and *completely* KO'd herself.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 1:09 pm

This is definitely not a cloak and dagger scene.
Do you know why your bags are not subjected to scrutiny once you collected it at the airport carousel ?
Answer : It has already been screened before that. Hence there was no need to unless your bags require further scrutiny , only then you will be stop by the custom officer before leaving the airport.
Same goes to every thing Singapore agencies do. Discreet surveillance and investigation.
Getting stop by two plain clothes policemen is no biggie.
I am more of a concern when you have info that might jeopardize the national security like your big fart will destroy two blocks of apartments.
Mate, I have seen people being paranoid but on your case , I think you have seen too much movies
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!