Singapore Expats

Recommendation Letter for PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
polar bear 20

Recommendation Letter for PR Application

Post by polar bear 20 » Fri, 31 May 2013 4:02 pm

I am planing to apply PR in coming July. According to research that I did, I found out that getting recommendation letters may boost up the chances of getting PR. I requested my university professor to write a recommendation letter for me and he is willing to help me . The thing is that we are not sure what the content of the recommendation letter is . please help me =)

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 31 May 2013 5:04 pm

Don't bother, it's a waste of time. The ICA don't like other people telling them what they should do.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 31 May 2013 5:11 pm

I agree with Saint. Your recommendation letter means squat if your profile doesn't fit their unpublished, no-one-really-knows-but-them, hidden criteria.

...unless your university professor is somehow LKY is indebted to (doubt it).

EDIT:

I dug up your old post:
polar bear 20 wrote:Myanmar Citizen
3 years in Poly
3 years in NUS
6 month working in manufacturing company
Engineering Position (Basic Pay : 2.7k)

Do I have chance to get PR ? I have been in Singapore for 7 years.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

kenza

Post by kenza » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 1:01 pm

No harm trying, but even letters form MP are useless these days as they receive too many.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 1:09 pm

kenza wrote:No harm trying, but even letters form MP are useless these days as they receive too many.
MPs don't represent foreigners.

:???:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 3:28 pm

The only time a letter from an MP might help is if one spouse is a Citizen. Even then, it's rare that they are successful. Been rather close to that problem a number of times.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

enslaved

Post by enslaved » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:49 pm

Aljuneid, Hougang, Punggol East MPs, may not be helpful though

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:26 pm

Neither are any of the other MPs in any of the other constituencies either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 8:57 am

polar bear 20 wrote:I am planing to apply PR in coming July. According to research that I did, I found out that getting recommendation letters may boost up the chances of getting PR. I requested my university professor to write a recommendation letter for me and he is willing to help me . The thing is that we are not sure what the content of the recommendation letter is . please help me =)
Mayb, and MAYBE, if you attach letters like volunteering work etc. or something like that .. sometimes the Officer takes, mostly they just ignore .. still I am doubtful if the ECA stuff will add value or not .. my take is mostly the officer will not even take it as it is not in their list of documents to peruse and take.
kenza wrote:No harm trying, but even letters form MP are useless these days as they receive too many.
exactly .. as said, sometimes the officer may not even accept it, as they look for "birth cert, educational documents, Income tax .. " etc.. and they don't want stuff not in their list of things to check / accept.

JR8 wrote:
MPs don't represent foreigners.

:???:
On a case by case basis, MPs "MAY" give letters .. then again, how effective it is, I would say not effective at all ..

Atleast in my constituency, the Staff at MPS don't even entertain non-Pink/Blue ICs.

Saw a few Non-Pink/Blue ICs being told they cannot be assisted. including one guy who came with a Singaporean Friend.

And they have to approach the respective ministries / depts directly, was their answer.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The only time a letter from an MP might help is if one spouse is a Citizen. Even then, it's rare that they are successful. Been rather close to that problem a number of times.
As I posted my experience, well, you are true in the success part too ..

kenza

Post by kenza » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The only time a letter from an MP might help is if one spouse is a Citizen. Even then, it's rare that they are successful. Been rather close to that problem a number of times.
Totally waste of time to seek help from MP. You will see their expression change as the more you seek for their assist. Trust me, I have my fair share of experience with them. Those MP assistant are morons! They complain to their MP saying that my wife (PRC) gave them attitude which is not true! In the end I had some unpleasant argument with her (my MP is a lady) Those MP assistant simply don't understand where am coming from nor understand the purpose of my visit. They like to assume things and deliver crap shit service and Master of Tai Chi. Simply bush things off like how they deal with the elderly folks.