Singapore Expats

How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Post by BedokAmerican » Fri, 31 May 2013 2:12 pm

The annual Great Singapore Sale has started and is scheduled to continue the next few weeks.

For anybody who has been here for it in previous years, how great are the discounts? Is it most items or just a few items?

I checked the GSS website and participating retailers are listed, but do you know if others are taking part or is that just a sample?

I'd really be excited if Fair Price, Cold Storage and Giant took part, but no grocery store was listed (and I didn't expect that). Those just seem like the only places I can go in Singapore without dealing with pushy sales people.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 31 May 2013 2:46 pm

Have you ever seen an ocean of dark Indian bodies - so thick that you can't see even walls and ceiling?

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Re: How great is the Great Singapore Sale?

Post by BillyB » Fri, 31 May 2013 3:29 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:The annual Great Singapore Sale has started and is scheduled to continue the next few weeks.

For anybody who has been here for it in previous years, how great are the discounts? Is it most items or just a few items?

I checked the GSS website and participating retailers are listed, but do you know if others are taking part or is that just a sample?

I'd really be excited if Fair Price, Cold Storage and Giant took part, but no grocery store was listed (and I didn't expect that). Those just seem like the only places I can go in Singapore without dealing with pushy sales people.
Like Sergei suggests, it's an overcrowded nightmare. But, this is Singapore and the word 'discount' or 'sale' does get people moving like flies homing in on a big pile of sh*t.

In fact, they'd probably be able to flog sh*t in the Singapore sale if they advertised it as 20% off per kg in big enough writing........

I couldn't think of a worse place to spend Saturday afternoon than Orchard Road or one of the malls....perhaps the exception might be a gas chamber at Auschwitz.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 31 May 2013 3:33 pm

I don't rate the GSS that highly, when considering the on going special fairs, expos, knock-downs and the rest. It's a marketing con......yet people fall for it time and again.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 31 May 2013 3:58 pm

The word sale has lost its meaning in Singapore. Its has been so much over used and abused, that now everyone expects to see a "Sale" board infront of the shop as a normal. If there is no "Sale" board then you wont see anyone there other than the salesmen/women.

Just like there used to a silver credit card, gold credit card and a platinum and then they started giving platinum to everyone that now the cheapest card is the platinum card. :lol: Thats the perfect analogy for sale in Singapore.

The GSS is a joke and eyewash to trap tourists. Locals know what it is.
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 31 May 2013 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 May 2013 4:01 pm

Honestly, I don't see any difference between GSS and the year-end sale. Just a gimmick for shopping tourism, I'd say.

I keep on getting vouchers for GSS but I still bin them. Useless crap. Inflated prices with huge conditional* discounts - only a fool'd buy that!

*They can go on telling you how you can get 90% off this and that, but with minimal purchases of hundreds of dollars, or PWP etc... The list is endless.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 31 May 2013 4:03 pm

Again! Congrats BedokAmerican for starting another thread that is likely to keep most regulars busy for another couple of days :lol:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 May 2013 4:04 pm

Wd40 wrote:Again! Congrats BedokAmerican for starting another thread that is likely to keep most regulars busy for another couple of days :lol:
It's Friday... :cool:

Good timing.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 31 May 2013 4:44 pm

It's a load of @#$hit. Prices are so overly inflated to start with - any markdown here just brings them to down to be somewhat less inflated. When I've seen the locals lining up for this thing I've always thought they'd be better off to save their pennies for a discount ticket to Hong Kong, which tends to be a lot cheaper.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 31 May 2013 5:50 pm

As an American (I assume by your name), you will not find a sale in Singapore *ever* that comes close to even normal discounts offered in the US. So don't get your hopes up.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 31 May 2013 5:55 pm

if you like to buy things that you dont need (how many decanter do you need?), then it is a good sales.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 31 May 2013 5:59 pm

Yes, it just says "sale", the prices are usual.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 31 May 2013 6:02 pm

its a tourism ploy as well for those who would travel to shop.I prefer the warehouse sales

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 31 May 2013 6:41 pm

the gss of today is nothing compared to the gss of yesteryears. my parents used to make it the mecca trip back in the 80s to stock up on everything fr knick knacks to big household items to health care products. also .... clothes
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 31 May 2013 10:23 pm

It's like those IT Fairs or when stores do a special in the area in front of their store like Carrefour used to, at Funan, and the like. Mostly moving out old stock, and not always a "sale" in the true sense as the prices are much the same as always.

Having said that, Takashimaya had a good sale over last weekend, some things were (actually, not like in fake sales) 40-50% off, I made out pretty well.

There are things that are worth looking at during this time, like linens, luggage, not sure what else is seasonal but the stores will be in competition with each other for customers.

Still, many things on sale here are more expensive than things not on sale elsewhere.