Singapore Expats

HTC One with StarHub Early Termination Charges

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
kris4u

Post by kris4u » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:01 pm

Hi, I am planning to take HTC One from Starhub, I want to know what would be the exact early termination charges if I break the contract after 10 months or 12 months. I hope these details will be with the users who already have contract for HTC One from StarHub, hence I sincerely request to help me out in getting the details. Hope you would be able to find the details in Terms and Conditions.

Thanks
Kishore[/list]

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: HTC One with StarHub Early Termination Charges

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 31 May 2013 11:00 am

kris4u wrote:Hi, I am planning to take HTC One from Starhub, I want to know what would be the exact early termination charges if I break the contract after 10 months or 12 months. I hope these details will be with the users who already have contract for HTC One from StarHub, hence I sincerely request to help me out in getting the details. Hope you would be able to find the details in Terms and Conditions.

Thanks
Kishore[/list]
when you sign up, they will give you the cost, so if the phone is priced at 1,000 $, for 2 year package, if you break it in 1 year, you pay 750$ or more :D

And if you break after 6 months, you will pay the whole 1,000 or so .. something like that

All the while when outside off-the-shelf price is 600 $ or so.

Well, with the contract you do get airtime/subscription etc. Do the maths

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Fri, 31 May 2013 11:33 am

In my opinion it doesnt worth buying any phone on contract (unless it is $0 phone), if you are pretty sure that you are going to do an early cancellation of contract. Also you can drop in any Starhub shop to get a breakup of your cancellation payment, which might help in cementing my point.

Also a heads up.... Google is coming up with their version of HTC One. It is called Google One Nexus. It will have pure Android with all HTC bloatwares removed, and it comes in black. This one could be a better choice, if you are going for an outright purchase.

Just my 2 cents.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 31 May 2013 11:35 am

kris4u wrote:Hi, I am planning to take HTC One from Starhub, I want to know what would be the exact early termination charges if I break the contract after 10 months or 12 months. I hope these details will be with the users who already have contract for HTC One from StarHub, hence I sincerely request to help me out in getting the details. Hope you would be able to find the details in Terms and Conditions.

Thanks
Kishore[/list]
If you are worried about early termination charges, I suggest buying the phone off-contract, and just let your existing contract continue as it is. Considering the subsidy is only about $200 - $300 (on the lower data contracts), it is probably worth doing so if you have a risk of breaking the contract within 10-12 months.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 31 May 2013 11:38 am

proxymoron wrote:In my opinion it doesnt worth buying any phone on contract (unless it is $0 phone), if you are pretty sure that you are going to do an early cancellation of contract. Also you can drop in any Starhub shop to get a breakup of your cancellation payment, which might help in cementing my point.

Also a heads up.... Google is coming up with their version of HTC One. It is called Google One Nexus. It will have pure Android with all HTC bloatwares removed, and it comes in black. This one could be a better choice, if you are going for an outright purchase.

Just my 2 cents.
Even if he doesn't want the Nexus experience HTC One, a non-carrier One can be easily purchased in Singapore.
From what my spidersense tells me, I think OP already has the phone and the subscription but will be going away or is no longer able to keep the line and just trying to cut his losses.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

kris4u

Post by kris4u » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:08 pm

Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I am still looking for the phone, I don't have any contract at present. So just analysing would it be better to go with Contract or Off- Contract. As I am sure I would be leaving Singapore in another 10 - 12 months.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:23 pm

kris4u wrote:Hi Friends,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I am still looking for the phone, I don't have any contract at present. So just analysing would it be better to go with Contract or Off- Contract. As I am sure I would be leaving Singapore in another 10 - 12 months.
Just get the phone off-contract from the store I linked to or others like it. How much data do you use? You can look into Singtel's prepaid 7 SGD for 1 GB a week (not sure if it's still available). You'll be surprised how little data you'll end up actually using if you have internet at home and at work.

Personally, I barely use up 1 GB a month and I'm a moderate to heavy user. I've also asked around and most people don't even use 4GB, much more 12 GB. It's usually the videos that eat up data allowance.

If you need more minutes or SMS, they also have cards for that. E.g. that 128 thing for 28 SGD. You get 128 SGD local, 28 international, IIRC. You can also check out Starhub's offerings.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."