Singapore Expats

Culture Shock - Arriving in singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 9:58 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Have you ever driven a high performance car like that? I have, quite a few. 90km/hr would be mid-range RPM second gear on most of the Ferraris or Lamborghinis, etc, driving around here. You'll have fun for less than 3-4 seconds, then have to let off. There is no enjoyment in driving those cars around at low speeds on the roads here. What is fun is sustained spirited driving through curves and along scenic roads.

Here, this is what we'd do for fun a few times a month back when I lived in California

Wow, complain about everything THEN bring up the US as an example of how to do it where the bulk of speeds limits are 50mph? Top Gear's American road trip even found a superb road at 30mph.

Sorry but by all logic, that's illogical where at least from Singapore there is always the option of heading to Malaysia, where many do go....hunting in packs for safety. Of course, there is a lot of time spent at Sepang as well but that's a different discussion.
Bulk of speed limits? Have you driven in the US? It varies by state, but most express way speed limits are 65-75mph (105-120km/h), and the police don't normally enforce it until at least 10mph over that (120-136km/hr), and it is easier to go much higher in many places.

No one takes Top Gear as factual. The show is entirely setup as entertainment always exaggerating or finding ridiculous examples of anything to try and pass off as fact . (Don't get me wrong, I do love the show)

You have hundreds of KM of roads through mountains that are much better built than anything you see in Malaysia and allow for much higher speed driving.

And Sepang? There are tons of world famous tracks through-out the US. Laguna Seca is less than 50km where that photo was taken. No doubt the US isn't the *best* place in the world for spirited driving, but it is a superbly better option than Singapore with the occasional jaunt to Malaysia.
Last edited by zzm9980 on Thu, 30 May 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 May 2013 9:59 am

Hannieroo wrote:This is what I never get about muscle cars. Why even bother with a car that's faster than the speed limit? I had a v8 and I loved her but she didn't need 5 litres. The only time it comes in handy is if you are first at the lights and need to change lanes.
It makes my dick REALLY big... and... my muscle car wasn't a car, it was a 1.5 litre motorcycle... acceleration is/was great... and to cross over the Tuas crossing and roll towards KL at 160 kph or more... it's a rush. My motorcycle would top out at about 230 kph, and while I didn't do it all the time, doing it once in a while was a rush... please don't tell my wife... she thinks it only goes 100.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:04 am

Hannieroo wrote:This is what I never get about muscle cars. Why even bother with a car that's faster than the speed limit? I had a v8 and I loved her but she didn't need 5 litres. The only time it comes in handy is if you are first at the lights and need to change lanes.
Because in most places people don't follow the speed limit. Singapore is unique in that 90% of the drivers actually seem to travel under it. I chalk it up to part of the rushed transition from third world to first world without much in between, and most of the drivers not actually being part of the "transition" part.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:05 am

Strong Eagle wrote:My motorcycle would top out at about 230 kph, and while I didn't do it all the time, doing it once in a while was a rush... please don't tell my wife... she thinks it only goes 100.
And you suppose your wife doesn't lurk in this forum? :P :P :P

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Thu, 30 May 2013 4:17 pm

HI, I have not moved yet (November) but find this discussion very interesting.

I can't just shut up on the cars/bikes topic, sorry. I am a petrolhead/gearhead and one of the worries was what to do with regards to the car/bike situation.

Granted I can't take my car with me (it'll go in storage indefinitely), the fact cars are too expensive and the lack of opportunities to go fast or enjoy "spirited" driving, I decided that my chariot of choice in Singapore will be a H-D Fat Boy. Since I have to go slow, I might as well do it in style.

Back on topic, one of my cultural shocks was the amount of shops selling various types of chips. Just chips. Chips with cheese sauce, with bacon+cheese, with anything. Taste but no double-dipping. I must admit I thought they were awesome though.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 30 May 2013 4:50 pm

stuckmojo wrote:...one of my cultural shocks was the amount of shops selling various types of chips. Just chips. Chips with cheese sauce, with bacon+cheese, with anything...
It's nothing in comparison with Batam. Shelves are collapsing under the weight of this rubbish over there!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 30 May 2013 4:58 pm

stuckmojo wrote:Back on topic, one of my cultural shocks was the amount of shops selling various types of chips. Just chips. Chips with cheese sauce, with bacon+cheese, with anything. Taste but no double-dipping. I must admit I thought they were awesome though.
But not enough corn chips. There's plenty of potato and even sweet potato but not enough corn.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 5:47 pm

stuckmojo wrote:
Back on topic, one of my cultural shocks was the amount of shops selling various types of chips. Just chips. Chips with cheese sauce, with bacon+cheese, with anything. Taste but no double-dipping. I must admit I thought they were awesome though.
Sorry, ignorant American here. Are we talking Potato chips or French Fries (fried potatoes)?

I've seen quite a few of these shops with goofy names ("Ireland's Potato" is one) selling the potato variety, and I can't get how bland they all are! Definitely pre-cut of the frozen variety. I don't think I've had decent french fries/chips/friend potatoes at all yet in Singapore. It isn't very hard to make good ones either. In-n-Out or Five Guys turns fresh potatoes into fries in just a few minutes in the States.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Thu, 30 May 2013 5:50 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
stuckmojo wrote:
Sorry, ignorant American here. Are we talking Potato chips or French Fries (fried potatoes)?

I've seen quite a few of these shops with goofy names ("Ireland's Potato" is one) selling the potato variety, and I can't get how bland they all are! Definitely pre-cut of the frozen variety. I don't think I've had decent french fries/chips/friend potatoes at all yet in Singapore. It isn't very hard to make good ones either. In-n-Out or Five Guys turns fresh potatoes into fries in just a few minutes in the States.
I mean "French Fries". There's a place below the Swissotel Stamford which makes some excellent ones.
Not quite the same as those we get here in the North East of England with batter-fried cod with salt and vinegar on but can't complain at all

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 30 May 2013 7:12 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Have you driven in the US? It varies by state, but most express way speed limits are 65-75mph (105-120km/h), and the police don't normally enforce it until at least 10mph over that (120-136km/hr), and it is easier to go much higher in many places.

Yes..... and it's a little unfair to compare US expressways with, well, the PIE for example so at a 'limit' of 90kph I think it looks after itself quite well. With 110kph in Malaysia, and nobody stopping you below ~120-125kph then you're in the same ballpark.

Don't get me wrong, being from Scotland I know what mountain roads are like and how good they can be, but credit given where credit due I don't dislike driving across the border.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 7:58 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Have you driven in the US? It varies by state, but most express way speed limits are 65-75mph (105-120km/h), and the police don't normally enforce it until at least 10mph over that (120-136km/hr), and it is easier to go much higher in many places.

Yes..... and it's a little unfair to compare US expressways with, well, the PIE for example so at a 'limit' of 90kph I think it looks after itself quite well. With 110kph in Malaysia, and nobody stopping you below ~120-125kph then you're in the same ballpark.

Don't get me wrong, being from Scotland I know what mountain roads are like and how good they can be, but credit given where credit due I don't dislike driving across the border.
I'm a little confused as to where or how this conversation went, but I think my original point was that driving high performance cars in the US is immensely preferable to Singapore with the occasional jaunt to Johor.

Even if Malaysia had well-built windy mountain or coastal roads you could hit nice sustained speeds on, it is hardly easy to get to. Hell, I could be halfway to Monterey from San Francisco in the time it just takes to clear Woodlands Checkpoint on an average weekend. And that would probably be a pretty miserable hour given the stiffness of the clutch in your average Italian exotic.

http://goo.gl/maps/jsIF4

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 30 May 2013 8:17 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Yes..... and it's a little unfair to compare US expressways with, well, the PIE for example so at a 'limit' of 90kph I think it looks after itself quite well. With 110kph in Malaysia, and nobody stopping you below ~120-125kph then you're in the same ballpark.
I guess the point is in how many of them go with their expensive, overpowered cars to Malaysia to exercise this small bit of extra freedom :)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:12 pm

x9200 wrote:I guess the point is in how many of them go with their expensive, overpowered cars to Malaysia to exercise this small bit of extra freedom :)
In my experience, as someone who travels over most weekends, not many. And if they do it's always in groups.

I do recall a lone 911 exercising his bit of freedom. No idea what speed he was travelling at but it was truely impressive. Sounded like a jet aircraft.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:22 pm

I always try to respect the speed limit, it's there for a reason even if not apparent. And I don't want anything to make my dick bigger, it's hard enough to hide it now.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:31 pm

Hannieroo wrote:......the speed limit, it's there for a reason even if not apparent.
In Malaysia, like most deep southern states in the US, it's to help pad the low pay of the traffic police. Commission work, as it were.

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers