Singapore Expats

Drug Tests Anyone?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
crackerjack2007

Drug Tests Anyone?

Post by crackerjack2007 » Wed, 29 May 2013 10:35 am

First post here in the forum, so please be nice :)

I will potentially be moving to Singapore for a job, in the next couple months. I was recently living in a VERY liberal country in Europe where I would frequently partake in the smoking of cannabis. I have since quit and I have not smoked in more than 8 months. I do not plan on doing it again...ever.

So..three questions; if anyone knows.

1. Upon entering Singapore, I have heard rumors of random drug tests (urine samples)..is this true? I am not concerned about myself but, my friends IF they do come visit there is a good chance they will have smoked recently.

2. When going through the hiring process in Singapore, do companies do drug screening / tests like they do in the US? In most places in the US they do hair samples and urine tests.

3. As part of the Permit "to work" process, in Singapore, do they do any drug testing by blood or urine as part of the application?

Now it may seem strange that I am asking these questions, as I have been clean for a long time. I am asking this because I have some co-workers that may be making the same move and I want to be sure to give them a heads up for a potential future move.

Please know, that I am VERY aware of the penalties and laws in Singapore, when it comes to drugs. Not a good idea to press your luck and or take chances.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Drug Tests Anyone?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 May 2013 11:12 am

crackerjack2007 wrote:First post here in the forum, so please be nice :)

I will potentially be moving to Singapore for a job, in the next couple months. I was recently living in a VERY liberal country in Europe where I would frequently partake in the smoking of cannabis. I have since quit and I have not smoked in more than 8 months. I do not plan on doing it again...ever.

So..three questions; if anyone knows.

1. Upon entering Singapore, I have heard rumors of random drug tests (urine samples)..is this true? I am not concerned about myself but, my friends IF they do come visit there is a good chance they will have smoked recently.

If they appear to have been using drugs prior to arrival in Singapore then yes, they can do random drug tests and the penalties are harsh as you know.

http://goseasia.about.com/od/singapore/ ... g-Laws.htm

2. When going through the hiring process in Singapore, do companies do drug screening / tests like they do in the US? In most places in the US they do hair samples and urine tests.

Rarely. But still possible, especially if it's an MNC.

3. As part of the Permit "to work" process, in Singapore, do they do any drug testing by blood or urine as part of the application?

Again, it's possible. Not all "medicals" requested are the same.

Now it may seem strange that I am asking these questions, as I have been clean for a long time. I am asking this because I have some co-workers that may be making the same move and I want to be sure to give them a heads up for a potential future move.

The best heads up you can give them is to get clean now and stay that way.

Please know, that I am VERY aware of the penalties and laws in Singapore, when it comes to drugs. Not a good idea to press your luck and or take chances.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

crackerjack2007

Post by crackerjack2007 » Wed, 29 May 2013 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply. I agree 100%, and that is the message that I have sent them..before posting this. Better safe than sorry, right?

Thanks again!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 29 May 2013 10:38 pm

Lots of cranberry juice. But that might be an Urban Myth.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 May 2013 11:24 pm

Brah wrote:Lots of cranberry juice. But that might be an Urban Myth.
I've heard from medical practitioners it works, but it's also obvious in a urine test you did this (same with any detox).

OP, go look for a recent post about being "repatriated". You'll get an idea about how serious this is.

crackerjack2007

Post by crackerjack2007 » Thu, 30 May 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for all of the replies. BTW...Cranberry and other "remedies" don't work. You can't fool a urine test if they want to find something.

I have been doing more research on my end with MOM and other government bodies in Singapore, and it appears the following is true. Can any of you confirm the following assumptions

1. Upon entering Singapore, as long as you aren't a complete idiot, looking strung out on something...they won't stop you.

2. Companies in Singapore may or may not do random screenings for drugs. That is totally up to the company. Not the norm but, could happen.

3. As part of the work permit process (P1, P2...) there is a potential medical exam, which is based on your country of origin and other "unknown" factors. This test has a series of tests that cover HIV, TB, and General health. It is not known wether they do random screenings for drugs here though. Blood tests cannot detect much for drugs..so they would have to rely on urine.

As part of the medical exam, did any of you take a urine test?

Thanks again people. This helps a lot...I am getting a lot of questions from my home country on this issue.

Cheers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:45 am

Urine test is not compulsory in basic medical tests for work visas by MOM, unless you have been personally instructed to do so.
Last edited by the lynx on Thu, 30 May 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:55 am

1) As long as you don't look like someone they should give a drug test to. That's really subjective.

2) Correct. The two MNCs I've worked for in Singapore have not. They're both HQ'd in California though where most things they test for are defacto legal anyway.

3) I did not have to do a medical example for my EP or my PEP. I am an American. However, every single medical exam/health screen I've done in Singapore (and boy are they big on them here) has involved taking blood and a urine test. They often try to shove a stool test in there too, but I politely decline as I'd rather not carry that around.

Suggest you read this thread and perhaps get in touch with its author if he's willing:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra642418.html

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:56 am

crackerjack2007, you are one devoted person to your friends not only checking for possible ad hoc actions but apparently also screening for scenarios in case they may get some employment passes. The message is simple: don't do it. Read the story on another subforum, where one guy is about to be deported from Singapore because he messed up somehow with drugs in Thailand.

crackerjack2007

Post by crackerjack2007 » Thu, 30 May 2013 11:04 am

Thanks again..

Agree X9200...As mentioned earlier, that is the message I have sent...strong and to the point " DONT DO IT". Unfortunately, people don't always listen, especially when someone has been raised in such a tolerant, liberal, environment. Its very hard for some people to comprehend the length at which some governments will go to stop something so harmless (in some peoples opinion).

Thanks again guys..case closed and action taken. Its very clear that its not something you gamble with.

Cheers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 30 May 2013 12:35 pm

Ah, the old 'I'm inquiring on behalf of my friends' thread!

Cough, cough......

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 May 2013 12:49 pm

Billy, you are starting to get as cynical as moi! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 30 May 2013 1:08 pm

Point 1 isn't quite correct. I came back from JB once and was funneled, with the rest of the peeps, into this gateway that had huge fans on the right, blowing wind from right to left. Across from the fans, to our left, behind a fence, they had a battery of eager-puppy sniffer dogs, noses primed and all.

So it appears they do mass random screenings too, presumably for ganja, although perhaps dogs can sniff out the harder stuff too, I don't know.

Mind you, even though I still see the whole setup each time I return from JB, I haven't seen it in action since. Perhaps it's a spot-check thing.

Still, I agree with above, just don't do it!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 2:04 pm

crackerjack2007 wrote: Its very clear that its not something you gamble with.
You mean something your friend doesn't want to gamble with :wink:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 May 2013 5:11 pm

Two of the MNC's I have worked with have included drugs tests as part of the application medical.