Singapore Expats

Student Pass - Special Situation (Please advise)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
heathclifftan

Student Pass - Special Situation (Please advise)

Post by heathclifftan » Wed, 29 May 2013 9:48 am

Hi, all

I'm an Indonesian who studied in Singapore from January 2003 to December 2011.

I left in September 2012 to go to a uni overseas. However, because of a family emergency, I returned to Indonesia after one semester overseas (I went back to Indonesia in January 2013).

A timeline to clarify matters:
1. January 2003 -> December 2011 (Singapore)
2. January 2012 -> September 2012 (Indonesia)
3. September 2012 -> January 2013 (overseas)
4. February 2013 -> present (Indonesia)

I want to stay closer to my family and thus, applied to Singapore unis. Thankfully, I've been accepted by one of the five.

However, now I'm worried that my student pass application will be rejected. It's the fact that I've left Singapore once that makes me nervous.

Is this a likely scenario? FYI, I've always been free to move in and out of Singapore, and I have a citizen aunt and a PR brother to serve as sponsors.

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for making you read such a long post! :)
Last edited by heathclifftan on Wed, 29 May 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 29 May 2013 9:54 am

Maybe it would be helpful if you can point out where & what did you study, and what your progress/final situation was in each case. (for example, did you start again from 0 when you returned to Indonesia in Feb?)

heathclifftan

Post by heathclifftan » Wed, 29 May 2013 9:59 am

Sure, I studied Accountancy in the US (I'm not comfortable sharing the name - sorry, but it's one of the top five unis for Accy there).

I didn't re-start uni in Indonesia, actually. I'll be re-starting in Singapore in August (if my student pass gets approved, of course!).

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 29 May 2013 10:35 am

heathclifftan wrote:Sure, I studied Accountancy in the US (I'm not comfortable sharing the name - sorry, but it's one of the top five unis for Accy there).

I didn't re-start uni in Indonesia, actually. I'll be re-starting in Singapore in August (if my student pass gets approved, of course!).
So what did you study in Singapore from 2003 to 2011? High school/A-levels? You did not study anything in Indonesia? (That would probably count against you, as an incomplete study.) And what do you want to study in Singapore?

I'd say, if you did your A-levels in Singapore, your chances are not too bad, but in your case, I would add an accompanying letter as to why you quit your Top5 accountancy degree in the US and also including why this would not happen again for your studies in Singapore (even if it is obviously the proximity, it is better to point out the obvious).

Maybe others in this forum have more experience and can give further advice...

heathclifftan

Post by heathclifftan » Wed, 29 May 2013 10:48 am

I took PSLE, 'O's and 'A's in Singapore.

No, because the uni intake in Indonesia is the same as in Singapore. I can't enroll in Indonesia till August, and since I already got accepted to a Singapore uni...

I'll be studying accountancy in Singapore.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anyone else can give other advice?