Singapore Expats

Marriage Indonesian Muslim Girl

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 28 May 2013 1:01 pm

Do they put religion on id?

JasonWee

Post by JasonWee » Tue, 28 May 2013 1:03 pm

I dont know. Haha. Ours have right?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 28 May 2013 1:11 pm

In Indonesia, there is a religion column in our ID. Not in the passport though.

CMIIW in the following facts, but there are stories of inter-religious (is that the correct term?) marriage in Indonesia, and although they are not technically deemed legal in Islamic law, they are still recognized by the people living around them. As long as you don't live in a village/rural area, hence you live in the big cities (other than in Aceh) I think you'll be fine. Just don't pronounce to the world about your status.

There's actually a fictional movie about it featuring real people who married inter-religiously called Cin(t)a dubbed "Cinta Cina"

Just my 2 cents...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

JasonWee

Post by JasonWee » Tue, 28 May 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Akimbo,

The best is converted to buddhism right?

Anyone can assist, where she can go for the convert?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 28 May 2013 3:47 pm

I am religiously obliged to tell you that you're the one that should convert... :lol:

But yeah, one of you should convert as easily as that. Shall I point you to the nearest mosque? :wink:
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

JasonWee

Post by JasonWee » Tue, 28 May 2013 3:51 pm

Haha. Converter, can rest at home. Wait for money in.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 28 May 2013 6:43 pm

JasonWee wrote:I dont know. Haha. Ours have right?
Yours might, mine does not. And I wouldn't bloody answer it.

JasonWee

Post by JasonWee » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 5:36 pm

Guys!!!

Mom as approved. So i apply normal Rom? As in Non-Muslim.

Or dont mind to give me a call for advise PLZ!!!!

9116 2299
Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 5:50 pm

JasonWee wrote:Guys!!!

9116 2299
Thanks.
MOM doesn't care if you are atheist or Muslim, or Klingon. They only care about whether she had sufficient education to life up the gene pool here if she was previously or currently on a WP. It the ROM you have to worry about.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 6:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
JasonWee wrote:Guys!!!
9116 2299 Thanks.
MOM doesn't care if you are atheist or Muslim, or Klingon. They only care about whether she had sufficient education to life up the gene pool here if she was previously or currently on a WP. It the ROM you have to worry about.
SMS, I'm curious at your latter comment, can you clarify?

Congratulations to JasonWee by the way: Great news!

p.s. When I ROMd I don't recall if I was asked what my religion was. If I was though I expect I'd have replied None, or None of your business.

@ JW have you looked at the ROM website and FAQ? Also, have you considered a wedding venue? You can 'ROM' at ROM itself, but it's about as personal as the service you get from Kentuckies. I think if you're serious about making a good go at marriage, then it pays to give care and attention to the venue. It is a day you're going to remember for your whole life...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 7:27 pm

Well, I would think that MUIS and ROM are somewhat linked and while I know your situation, I have to wonder if they look the other direction with international marriages as it IS supposed to be a patriarchal society, they still firmly believe that the local female will follow the foreign spouse and therefore is of less consequence. My guess would be in your case, they figured you wouldn't stay and she would accompany you when you leave. However, a local male would probably be staying here so the marriage to a muslim "might" be looked on slightly askance. Every Chinese male I know who has married a muslim girl has had to convert. In fact every foreign male, I personally know also were required to convert as well (about 4 or 5 that I can think of off hand. There might be more). Granted, they were token muslims only, but none the less. I didn't and wouldn't, so I guessing as most I know, only converted so as to be able to marry. None of them needed permission from MOM, but all needed permission from MUIS, so I suspect there is a link there somewhere. But you been there, done that, I assume, in Singapore, so enlighten us.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 7:41 pm

JR8 wrote:Also, have you considered a wedding venue? You can 'ROM' at ROM itself, but it's about as personal as the service you get from Kentuckies. I think if you're serious about making a good go at marriage, then it pays to give care and attention to the venue. It is a day you're going to remember for your whole life...
JasonWee,

Don't let the venue bother you Jason. My wife is an OTT Catholic but because I was a divorcee (2x) we were not allowed to marry in the church. So we had a ROM wedding with just close family members. We also had a AMK CC Indian Reception for her parents and friends with several hundred in attendance in the evening of our ROM wedding. The following night, we had a full blown western style reception for the media and my circle of friends at the old Century Park Sheraton up on Nassim Hill. In September, we passed our 30th anniversary and have two grown children, the eldest married almost a year herself. Don't worry about the venue, just the vows. ;-)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 8:18 pm

Yes I think MUIS and ROM (and others I’m sure) are linked. So that’s why we got written to with ‘orders’ about 3 days after booking our ROM date online. You can imagine why that uninvited intrusion into our joyous affairs and arrangements was so like being warped to Mecca or something. Like I said, my wife screwed up the letter and threw it – ceremoniously - into the bin (I'll spare you the accompanying narrative, which from an extremely polite and refined girl was stunningly course :)). MUIS have no authority, they seem to rely on bullying and threats. It’s terrible, imagine moving to PA (US), or Malaysia, and the Episcopal Church or Mosque writing to you ordering you in for a meeting. It's like living under the Nazis or something.

I’m the male. I’m ‘notionally’ Christian, but as a banker and parasitologist I don’t believe in creation, God or anything bar money and fleas, and how everything in life derives from it. Despite which we still got the schtick from MUIS. It was weird, as it seems to be assumed that if you’re ‘of a religion’, i.e. you have one, you care about religion ....MAYBE enough to convert. I couldn’t give a fig about religion, the idea of ‘converting’ is ... simply preposterous. Converting from what? Nothing.... to er, someone who can now tick box B?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 9:07 pm

I figured it was something like that! :lol:

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 9:29 pm

When I applied for my PR last year I put in my race as "Human" and religion as "Free Thinker". I was asked by the ICA officer to cut them and put in the actual values in those fields. I insisted that I neither follow any religion nor do I intend to. The officer asked me for my parents' religion/beliefs and that I should put that down as my religion.
I guess an "official" religion is a must in every walk of life in SG.