Singapore Expats

Physician in US considering Move to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
CitizenOfTheWorld

Physician in US considering Move to Singapore

Post by CitizenOfTheWorld » Mon, 27 May 2013 5:34 pm

Most of my friends think the idea is odd to say the least. They tell me I have it pretty good here in the US and there's no need to mess it up. Maybe they are right. Suffice it to say I'm of the opinion that the US is in a slow but accelerating process of decay and I'd like to prepare options. So I applied for a job in my specialty through a recruiter and after a Skype interview two months ago, I came for a site visit this past week. I liked it just fine. The salary would be a bit less than I'm making here. The cost of living would be WWAAAAYY higher so on the surface it makes no sense.

Be that as it may, let me ask a few questions. I'll be living alone. I'd be happy with a small private condo with one BR. A studio would work too but I was told there aren't many of them in Sing. My work would be on the west side of the city so no need for a central location. I have no need for a car.

Reasons for relocation are, as mentioned above, angst about the direction the US is heading in and a love of travel. I'm prepared for a reduction in lifestyle, though I still like fine dining and travel.

This is very general, I know but any suggestions and ideas are most welcome anyway.
"Democracy is also a form of religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses."
H.L. Mencken

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 5:59 pm

So you are preparing to jump off a leaky ship into a leaky canoe. This is definitely NOT the time to be making a lifestyle change, or at least not a permanent one. Singapore is undergoing it's own form of metamorphosis at the moment from stability to a two party system with an electorate who are as naive as little children hand haven't been taught that when you play with matches, there's a damned good chance of getting burned. Badly. But if you have the wherewithal to weather the changes here, you might be okay. (I did much the same, although from a much more humble background, over 30 years ago). But times were different then, compared to now.

Not sayin' I wouldn't have done the same today, though, if the opportunity presented itself. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 27 May 2013 6:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So you are preparing to jump off a leaky ship into a leaky canoe. This is definitely NOT the time to be making a lifestyle change, or at least not a permanent one. Singapore is undergoing it's own form of metamorphosis at the moment from stability to a two party system with an electorate who are as naive as little children hand haven't been taught that when you play with matches, there's a damned good chance of getting burned. Badly. But if you have the wherewithal to weather the changes here, you might be okay. (I did much the same, although from a much more humble background, over 30 years ago). But times were different then, compared to now.

Not sayin' I wouldn't have done the same today, though, if the opportunity presented itself. :wink:
The grass is greener on the other side only because they use more manure.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 27 May 2013 9:09 pm

Say 5 years after leaving said posting in Singapore, how is it going to look within context on your resume?

- A significant step upwards as part of a career plan?
or
- Some hippy-dippy time spent off coasting in Asia?

I believe some off-piste stuff in Asia etc is worth it if it it materially increases experience, shows initiative, shows wider learning - way more than you would have got as a flake sitting back at home at home with mum and dad.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 9:25 pm

On the bright side, income tax is a fraction and you probably wouldn't have to pay outrageous amounts for malpractice insurance. Hell, I don't even think that concept exists here.

CitizenOfTheWorld

Post by CitizenOfTheWorld » Tue, 28 May 2013 5:48 am

JR8 wrote:Say 5 years after leaving said posting in Singapore, how is it going to look within context on your resume?

- A significant step upwards as part of a career plan?
or
- Some hippy-dippy time spent off coasting in Asia?

I believe some off-piste stuff in Asia etc is worth it if it it materially increases experience, shows initiative, shows wider learning - way more than you would have got as a flake sitting back at home at home with mum and dad.
Since such things are so rarely done, I have no idea how it would look. At the moment I'm in private practice and have been for the past 10 years, So after a 2-3 year stint, I figure I can return to my current location (Las Vegas, USA) without any trouble. I can probably get a private practice position in any state I'm licensed in. An academic position is another matter, but I never had the slightest interest.

That said, I was actually looking at this as a potential permanent move. Coming back is what I'd do if I hated it in Sing. But the intent is to adapt and remain.
"Democracy is also a form of religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses."
H.L. Mencken

CitizenOfTheWorld

Post by CitizenOfTheWorld » Tue, 28 May 2013 5:53 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So you are preparing to jump off a leaky ship into a leaky canoe. This is definitely NOT the time to be making a lifestyle change, or at least not a permanent one. Singapore is undergoing it's own form of metamorphosis at the moment from stability to a two party system with an electorate who are as naive as little children hand haven't been taught that when you play with matches, there's a damned good chance of getting burned. Badly. But if you have the wherewithal to weather the changes here, you might be okay. (I did much the same, although from a much more humble background, over 30 years ago). But times were different then, compared to now.

Thanks for the warning. Perhaps I'm buying into a hot market at the top, just before the crash. Do you anticipate such things as higher taxes, an expanding social welfare program, an emphasis on militarism and jingoism? Is there a risk of mass protests and a Tahrir Square moment?

P.S. Thanks to all of you for your input. It is much appreciated.
H.L. Mencken

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Tue, 28 May 2013 7:07 am

I'm so sorry about your reasons for leaving the States. I've been living internationally for 40 years, but my reasons have been different from yours. I wanted to experience different cultures, so I've lived and worked in 13 countries while spending most of my time here in Singapore.

This is not the forum to discuss this, but I'm curious why your think America is decaying. I'd like to think it is simply going through a period of adjustment, and rational minds will prevail. I'd also like to think that because we have the freedom in the US to complain openly and in the press, current conditions are exaggerated. Bad news becomes the only news to print. Cable news present a slanted view of what it's really like.

While your expertise is welcome here I'm sure, you understand that Singapore is not a country that has a shortage of doctors. The US is. If I'm sick, I have several clinics here that I can walk right into within minutes and get treatment for a fraction of the cost as in the States. Again- you would be welcome here, but......

Having said this, I wish you the best.

Rob

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 28 May 2013 7:17 am

CitizenOfTheWorld wrote:

Thanks for the warning. Perhaps I'm buying into a hot market at the top, just before the crash. Do you anticipate such things as higher taxes, an expanding social welfare program, an emphasis on militarism and jingoism? Is there a risk of mass protests and a Tahrir Square moment?

P.S. Thanks to all of you for your input. It is much appreciated.
I don't think it's either hot or at the top - that time came and went. Check out some of our comment on the 'foreign manpower' thread for more on that.

I'm with RobSg, who sounds like he may be an American, wanting to hear about why you think America is decaying.

Me? I'd like to get back to the States - if the market there is strong, then maybe it's time to go back. When I left it was at a good time to do so, and it was good run, one I let run too long.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 May 2013 9:34 am

CitizenOfTheWorld wrote:Most of my friends think the idea is odd to say the least. They tell me I have it pretty good here in the US and there's no need to mess it up. Maybe they are right. Suffice it to say I'm of the opinion that the US is in a slow but accelerating process of decay and I'd like to prepare options. So I applied for a job in my specialty through a recruiter and after a Skype interview two months ago, I came for a site visit this past week. I liked it just fine. The salary would be a bit less than I'm making here. The cost of living would be WWAAAAYY higher so on the surface it makes no sense.
Nice to know that somebody fast-tracked the process. are you going to be under a govt hospital or private ?
zzm9980 wrote:On the bright side, income tax is a fraction and you probably wouldn't have to pay outrageous amounts for malpractice insurance. Hell, I don't even think that concept exists here.
well, .. if not the malpractice stuff, SMC has enough and more work piled up to investigate complaints .. from minor to major complaints, so much so, some hospitals have a full time team to write reports and investigate and they are pretty busy perpetually !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 May 2013 10:32 am

CitizenOfTheWorld wrote: Is there a risk of mass protests and a Tahrir Square moment?
Yes. Because native born locals are xenophobes and don't want more foreigners showing up. Find a local news site and follow it for a year, and be sure to read the comments on the stories.
Last edited by zzm9980 on Tue, 28 May 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 28 May 2013 10:34 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:On the bright side, income tax is a fraction and you probably wouldn't have to pay outrageous amounts for malpractice insurance. Hell, I don't even think that concept exists here.
well, .. if not the malpractice stuff, SMC has enough and more work piled up to investigate complaints .. from minor to major complaints, so much so, some hospitals have a full time team to write reports and investigate and they are pretty busy perpetually !!!
Interesting. I always wondered why so many expats glorify local medical services while IMHO they are sub-average. Is it really that bad in the States?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 May 2013 10:39 am

x9200 wrote: Interesting. I always wondered why so many expats glorify local medical services while IMHO they are sub-average. Is it really that bad in the States?
IMHO, It's not if you have a decent job with decent health coverage. The only part that is better is the quick walk-in visits to the local clinics. But if I thought I had a condition more severe than a stomach bug, I'd rather be back in the States.

CitizenOfTheWorld

Post by CitizenOfTheWorld » Tue, 28 May 2013 11:23 am

RobSg wrote:I'm so sorry about your reasons for leaving the States. I've been living internationally for 40 years, but my reasons have been different from yours. I wanted to experience different cultures, so I've lived and worked in 13 countries while spending most of my time here in Singapore.

This is not the forum to discuss this, but I'm curious why your think America is decaying. I'd like to think it is simply going through a period of adjustment, and rational minds will prevail. I'd also like to think that because we have the freedom in the US to complain openly and in the press, current conditions are exaggerated. Bad news becomes the only news to print. Cable news present a slanted view of what it's really like.

While your expertise is welcome here I'm sure, you understand that Singapore is not a country that has a shortage of doctors. The US is. If I'm sick, I have several clinics here that I can walk right into within minutes and get treatment for a fraction of the cost as in the States. Again- you would be welcome here, but......

Having said this, I wish you the best.

Rob
Thanks for the well wishes. A fair question to ask and without stirring up argument on off topic subjects, suffice it to say I'm one of those who take seriously talk of bond market collapse, imposition of martial law, fema camps, etc. In other words, a conspiracy theorist.

Without a debate about it, for the sake of argument let us assume my fears are reasonable. If so, would Singapore be a safer place to hide away? I'm well aware Sing is not exactly a democracy, but I appreciate its lack of pretense to such. Also, since I'm not at all familiar with local politics, I can keep my mouth shut more easily than at home.
H.L. Mencken

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 May 2013 12:04 pm

CitizenOfTheWorld wrote: Thanks for the well wishes. A fair question to ask and without stirring up argument on off topic subjects, suffice it to say I'm one of those who take seriously talk of bond market collapse, imposition of martial law, fema camps, etc. In other words, a conspiracy theorist.

Without a debate about it, for the sake of argument let us assume my fears are reasonable. If so, would Singapore be a safer place to hide away? I'm well aware Sing is not exactly a democracy, but I appreciate its lack of pretense to such. Also, since I'm not at all familiar with local politics, I can keep my mouth shut more easily than at home.
you never know what will happen anywhere .. who would have predicted Gaddafi to be terminated so brutally, or Myanmar to become buddies with the western world again .. or .. NK to rattle their sabres till they have no idea what they want to do with it ..

But, well, Singapore should be pretty insulated, or, as our former PM said, "your line of work will be least impacted" :D