Singapore Expats

want a divorce and go back home -which law?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
popori

want a divorce and go back home -which law?

Post by popori » Mon, 27 May 2013 1:43 am

Hello. I have been married for 5 years now and we have a 3 year old daughter. We got married in singapore but we have declared it in both france and england as my husband is from france and i from england. We have been living in france but recently his job has sent us to singapore and although i didnt want to come, i did for the sake of our daughter. I want to still separate and get divorced. And my husband will not stop me as long as we have equal custody of our child. I don't know how that can work as i dont want to live in france nor singapore for that matter.

Will our divorce go under the singaporean, french or english law? Has anyone been through something like this? I would ideally like to go back home with our child but i cant do that to my husband. :( confused.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 8:29 am

Not familiar with any unique intricacies of English or French divorce law, but generally if divorce is allowed and you can legally file in the location you choose the court judgement will be honored anywhere else. So say you go back to England and file for divorce, then one day go back to French or Singapore to get married to someone else you just produce the court judgement to show you were legally divorced.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 May 2013 6:05 am

It's not really feasible for you to be divorced in Singapore as there is a 3 year separation period required. If your husband and you can sign consent orders (i.e. setting out parenting and support) this may be enough for you to leave Singapore with and return home and then start divorce there.