Singapore Expats

Questions about miniature bananas

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sat, 18 May 2013 1:05 pm

I am no expert but have grown a few bananas of different types over the years! All the ones I have grown from either suckers or from garden centre grow nuttily fast! And give you heaps of bananas. Just remember that each 'tree' will only give one bunch but this does not matter, cause plant one and suddenly you will have 10! But also, if you tire of banana trees they are easy to pull up. Other easy things to grow are papaya - just toss the seeds from your latest breakfast onto soil - pots or gardens. And woop woop you will have lots of papaya plants with their gorgeous broad leaves and growing up to scrotum like papaya plants!
katbh

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 2:24 pm

katbh wrote: scrotum like papaya plants!
Ooh, I can't say I've seen them before! :lol:

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 18 May 2013 3:19 pm

the lynx wrote:It is called Pisang Emas (literally means 'gold bananas') locally.

In actual term, they are also called Lady's Finger bananas. Scientific name Musa acuminata (Colla) and they are common around tropical and sub-tropical countries.

They are usually very sweet, which I personally avoid because I dislike sweet stuff. These bananas are also very popular as banana fritters as they are cheap and easy to fry.
Actually, these Colla are small, not quite the size of your average lady's fingers perhaps, but pretty small nonetheless.

But every now and again, I see bananas in the supermarket, wrapped in plastic usually, that are truly the size of lady's fingers. I mean, they're tiny. I suspect they're used for decoration more than anything else, because they seem more trouble than they're worth.

By the way, my Jamaican landlady taught me to always get the rather black plantains if you're going to fry them. They may look like crap unpeeled, but they're the tastiest by far. That is, for those who do like sweet. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 May 2013 4:07 pm

I had to laugh at this thread title as, before I had read the first post, it had me wondering if it was going to be a thread slagging off the local males, based on stories I've heard from a number of local females over the years. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 6:55 pm

the lynx wrote:It is called Pisang Emas (literally means 'gold bananas') locally.
I told my wife I was discussing 'pisang bananas' and in a spell of pedantry she pointed out that as pisang meant banana in Malay, I was saying banana bananas! (and this clearly irritated her lol! :-D).

I said I meant the little ones, the only ones I ever seem to buy in Malaysia. She said, that's called Pisang Emas.

[Starting to wonder if my wife and Lynx are somehow related! :lol: ]

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 18 May 2013 8:07 pm

Wd40 wrote:BedokAmerican, you must be given the award for coming up with the strangest posts and then getting the entire forum discussing it. :lol: Enjoy your friday evening :)
I'm surprised about the number of responses it's gotten, but the more information the better. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll make sure and let everyone know how I think these bananas taste when I buy a batch.

By the way, about 2 weeks ago, I put a question on the Beauty/Health/Fitness thread about refrigerating vitamins because I was told to do that because of the Singapore climate and found it odd.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 18 May 2013 8:33 pm

I missed that one. Simply, Singapore is never a cool place. Normally what you consider an average (world-wide average of countries where the vitamins are manufactured) is something 22-24 deg C. So a cooler place will be below this.

It can be estimated that for many chemical reactions including the undesirable ones like oxidation or reaction with moisture (i.e hydrolysis), every 10 deg C up makes the reaction rate to accelerate 2x. In other words if your vitamins are said to be good for 1y at 22-24 deg C and you keep them at 32-34 it is a bit like the expiration period gets halved.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 May 2013 9:44 am

JR8 wrote:
I told my wife I was discussing 'pisang bananas' and in a spell of pedantry she pointed out that as pisang meant banana in Malay, I was saying banana bananas! (and this clearly irritated her lol! :-D).
It is like saying rice paddy fields, when it actually meant rice rice fields!

I said I meant the little ones, the only ones I ever seem to buy in Malaysia. She said, that's called Pisang Emas.

[Starting to wonder if my wife and Lynx are somehow related! :lol: ]
One way to find out... :wink:

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 20 May 2013 10:29 am

By the way, black bananas don't taste that bad and are not poisonous - very sweet. Of course, if they turned completely into liquid, you won't be able to eat them, but a bit of blackness is not a problem, especially for fritters or pancakes - those will become even sweeter.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 20 May 2013 10:33 am

Sergei82 wrote:By the way, black bananas don't taste that bad and are not poisonous - very sweet. Of course, if they turned completely into liquid, you won't be able to eat them, but a bit of blackness is not a problem, especially for fritters or pancakes - those will become even sweeter.
That's what banana ketchup is made of, allegedly.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

I ate a banana

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 27 May 2013 12:35 pm

Ok, I ate one of those lady finger bananas for the first time a few days ago. It wasn't bad, but I think traditional bananas taste better.