Singapore Expats Forum

Champions League Final 2013

For all the football fans out there.
floWsing

Champions League Final 2013

Postby floWsing » Tue, 21 May 2013 11:54 am

does anyone have good suggestions on a fun outdoor place to watch the all-German final? (Sunday morning 2.45am)

Savi

Postby Savi » Wed, 22 May 2013 8:11 pm

Hey,

I don't have a suggestion but I would like to join! I live in Singapore for 1.5 weeks now and I am not that familie with the surrounding yet.

regards,
Savi

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 23 May 2013 8:07 am

If you want to experience it the way the working class locals do, go to one of the popular outdoor coffee shops that play the game. A great one to try would be one of the ones on Geylang Rd, say at Lorong 12, as that area is quite lively at all hours of the night. There are some threads here from people posting and complaining about the noise coming from the area at 3am :D

For a Westerner Expat experience, one of the bars at Boat Quay. I'm not sure which ones will be open or playing it, but if you go there and ask they'll tell you (or already have schedules posted). OT might be another good choice if you're single.

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Postby proxymoron » Thu, 23 May 2013 4:13 pm

Forbidden City @ Clarke Quay shows it every year (Even during the mid-week final days). And it is a nice cozy place to sit and watch.

There are few other places also in Clarke /Boat Quay which show the match, but from my experience those ones are small places and usually close shop before the match is over.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 23 May 2013 4:19 pm

Robertson Walk will have the mix of both local and expat experience. They have large screen at the central atrium to show every game. All patrons from 4 pubs circling the atrium sit in to watch.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Fri, 24 May 2013 11:12 pm

Hi!

I will go to Chijmes - which has been an awesome place to watch the last Euro: big screen, all outdoor and tons of people. Not sure if this was the case for all games or if it simply happens to be the place of choice for the German football community in SG. Either way probably the right place to be tomorrow.

We are so far only four and if anyone wants to join: send me a message... (we are not die hard fans of either of the clubs, but like most Germans by tendency cheer for anyone but Bayern...).

Savi

Postby Savi » Fri, 24 May 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Boat Quay sounds quite good for me since I am living in the West. Would be Holland Village also a possibility?

Who's actually still looking for someone to watch the game?

EDIT:ChrisCH, duo to my few post I can't write PM. I would like to join yr group. I would be great if you could send me ur contact data via PM to make an arrangement. =)

Br Savi

Global Player
Regular
Regular

Postby Global Player » Sat, 25 May 2013 9:56 am

I watched last years final at Chijmes. Great atmosphere with big screens and a huge German crowd. Hope Bayern Munich will make it this year. Especially now, when I finally found Hofbräu Beer served in Singapore :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 25 May 2013 11:17 am

For some reason I didn't think Chjimes would be open late enough. Plenty of places here will close halfway through the games.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Sat, 25 May 2013 12:04 pm

Chijmes manages to completely avoid mentioning football on their website... but that was always the case and since they showed the semi finals in full length as well as all Euro games is it a safe bet for tonight.

Global Player
Regular
Regular

Postby Global Player » Sat, 25 May 2013 2:42 pm

Yes, no issue at Chijmes when the show finals. The big restaurants in the basement stay open until the game is finshed and are quite packed. Even after the game ends you still have 15 minutes to celebrate the victory at Insomnia as it closes 4:45. After 5am Chijmes is dead, you need to move further.

Mia san mia.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Postby ChrisCH » Sun, 26 May 2013 7:59 pm

Just for future reference: Chijmes was a good place to be - if you are looking for a seriously large crowd and not necessarily the most comfort.

Pros:
- location. the layout of the place makes the crowd look bigger than it is and it is the closest thing you get to "stadium"...
- crowd. I'd say easily 50% Germans which is great as the "real" fans of a club tend to be more vocal than an Asian who just bought a Bayern shirt for the occasion...

Cons:
Service sucked completely - Harry's was closed (!) and the crew at the bar next to it was
a) not able to handle the situation. At all.
b) apparently not really interested in the business

So ordering a beer took 30 mins and that is no joke or overestimation. That's when waiting in line at the bar because the waiters refused to serve us since we did not have a reserved table but were standing (as most people did). It has been a long time since I was a waiter in a club, but if I had worked with the same speed and attitude as the Indian crew there (including their manager) would I lose my job on the spot.