Singapore Expats

Advice Need on Repatriation / Deportation

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dan007yl

Advice Need on Repatriation / Deportation

Post by dan007yl » Sun, 26 May 2013 1:02 pm

I have been told I am being 'repatriated' from Singapore and need to report to ICA on Tuesday 4th June. I would really appreciate some help with the questions I have below as I am finding it very difficult to find these answers on ICA or MOM websites.

1. What is the process for re-patriation?
2. Should I book a flight myself in advance?
3. Is repatriation equal to deportation?
4. Is this the same as the banishment act/expulsion order
5. What information/details will be provided to my employer either by the ICA or MOM?
6. No criminal proceedings have been taken against me so would my employer be notified I had been repatriated (I have already informed them anyway)?
7. Will my employment pass be revoked and my employer advised or is the onus on me?
8. Will I be permanently banned from entering Singapore?
9. Will I be allowed to transit through Singapore?
10. Would I be banned from residing in Singapore but still be able to visit on business?
11. How long would any ban be in place for?
12. Is there an opportunity to appeal to be able to enter Singapore for business only without the intent to reside?
13. What would the appeal process entail / How long would this take?

Many thanks
D

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 26 May 2013 2:20 pm

What did you do? What pass are you currently on? Do you have your passport currently, or just a notice to appear at the ICA building at a specific time? Most of the answers to your questions are dependent on that. Tell me more and I can tell you more. I'm assuming you committed a crime, except you have until June 4th, not just a day or two.

Anyway:

Do not buy your tickets now. ICA will tell you when you must leave the country by; wait until then to buy your tickets. They'll make you come back again with your tickets to show them.

You'll report to the airport (or Harborfront if you're headed to Batam) the day you're to depart with your repatriation letter and receive your passport there.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 26 May 2013 2:29 pm

Ah, by Googling your handle I can fill in some of the blanks.

Since you're Caucasian and from the UK, that is probably why you were given more time. Those I'm aware of who have been deported were from local SE Asian countries with cheap flights every day.

Anyway, volunteer more details and we'll try our best. We're a non judgmental bunch so don't worry.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 May 2013 3:11 pm

Sounds like you may have been caught in a compromising situation and rather than give you a black mark which will follow you around, you have just been deemed as undesirable in Singapore and are being repatriated. I would assume that you will have to pay for your own repatriation but you will need to follow ICA's protocol. It would also appear that they are making allowance for your employer to clear your tax liability with IRAS as well. Not sure just what you did, but I have a feeling you weren't to circumspect.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dan007yl

Post by dan007yl » Mon, 27 May 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks all... It's a CNB matter, they are not proceeding with any charges or action against me as the incident occurred in Bangkok. I have to report to my IO at CNB on Tuesday 4th June - My IO informed me from there I would be taken to ICA and put on a plane back to the UK... He specifically told me I do not need to book flights but other people have said differently and I cannot find information anywhere...

My employer is aware but they want to know what they should expect in terms of communication or notification from SG government, ICA, MOM or police etc...

Currently I am on an employment pass and I have possesion of my passport - This was given back to me at the time of the incident last August and I have been allowed to travel in and out of Singapore on business since then...

Thanks again...
D

dan007yl

Post by dan007yl » Mon, 27 May 2013 12:50 pm

In addition to the above my IO also informed me I should bring all my possessions/luggage etc... with me when I report on 4th June ready to go home...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 12:51 pm

As it's a CNB matter, then leave it at that. Let them take care of it. If they want you out of the country by such & such a date, then they can pay for it. I've not hear of anybody having to pay for deportation before, especially if you don't have a job. Now, if they had given you an option of deportation or jail time, then, you may well have to pay for your own airfare (or spend time in the slammer instead - not a good idea under the circumstances).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dan007yl

Post by dan007yl » Mon, 27 May 2013 12:54 pm

Thank you - There was no offer of alternative repatriation or jail time. The matter has been pending since Aug last year and this week they informed me they are not taking action against me but that they would be repatriating me...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 1:21 pm

If in doubt, approach CNB again for clarification/confirmation. At least, under the circumstances, I think that's what I would do, just to make sure. I don't think any of us has been in that situation before so we are, obviously, just giving our opinions here.

sms

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 5:35 pm

I would go by what CNB said. The people I know of deported where not via CNB so the process was different.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 29 May 2013 11:54 pm

Wow you know of people not person being deported? For what? I can't say after all my time I know any one who has been.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 30 May 2013 7:42 am

Have you considered acting pre=emptively? Perhaps leaving Singapore of you own accord and not returning. That's what I would be considering.

Post back your pass to ICA, do your taxes from offshore online.

To leave voluntarily leaves a lot smaller black mark than what you're facing if CNB has to engage in what really is a deportation (and pay for it).

How did they come to know of an offense in Bangkok?

Edit - this post needs to be linked to the ones that JR8 writes supporting gheys living and working in Singapore and SMS saying homosexuality is not illegal.

Can you clarify if the offense was sexual or narcotic in nature please?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:20 am

PNGMK wrote:Have you considered acting pre=emptively? Perhaps leaving Singapore of you own accord and not returning. That's what I would be considering.

Post back your pass to ICA, do your taxes from offshore online.

To leave voluntarily leaves a lot smaller black mark than what you're facing if CNB has to engage in what really is a deportation (and pay for it).

How did they come to know of an offense in Bangkok?

Edit - this post needs to be linked to the ones that JR8 writes supporting gheys living and working in Singapore and SMS saying homosexuality is not illegal.

Can you clarify if the offense was sexual or narcotic in nature please?
CNB = Central Narcotics Bureau

Not sure why you think it would be 'sexual'. Unless he did a Monica Lewinsky with a giant blunt? :cool:

Honestly if CNB is involved, OP should consider his time in Singapore over with forever. Might as well take the free flight home.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 10:43 am

Brah wrote:Wow you know of people not person being deported? For what? I can't say after all my time I know any one who has been.
Ask me about it in person.