Singapore Expats

In Singapore on Tourist Visa

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
In_Singapore

In Singapore on Tourist Visa

Post by In_Singapore » Wed, 22 May 2013 2:22 pm

Hi there everybody,

I have a query, and I hope you will help me out on this issue. I am in Singapore on a 2 year tourist visa. I would like to know from you guys, whether I can find employment and work in Singapore during the duration of my tourist visa. I am planning to return before the expiry of my visa. Moreover, please advice, if I get some work in Singapore, can I apply for a work permit.

Awaiting you precious feedback.

David

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: In Singapore on Tourist Visa

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 May 2013 2:32 pm

In_Singapore wrote:Hi there everybody,

I have a query, and I hope you will help me out on this issue. I am in Singapore on a 2 year tourist visa. I would like to know from you guys, whether I can find employment and work in Singapore during the duration of my tourist visa. I am planning to return before the expiry of my visa. Moreover, please advice, if I get some work in Singapore, can I apply for a work permit.

David
No such thing as a 2 year tourist visa.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 May 2013 2:35 pm

Are you here on a tourist visa or on a Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTVP)?

If on an LTVP, if you find work, then the company has to apply for an employment pass of one sort or another. (WP/S/Q/P2/P1) You cannot apply for a work permit. It has to be done by your potential employer who will have to justify just why they need to hire a foreigner instead of a local. Additionally, you will have to meet the Ministry of Manpower's (MOM) academic and experience criteria as well, without passing that hurdle, you will not get to 2nd base (e.g., the employer needing to explain why they need a foreigner).

Once the employment pass is issued, the LTVP will automatically be canceled and the employment pass issued. Sound like you are a trailing spouse or, more likely, in a same-gender partnership (hence the LTVP instead of a Dependent's Pass).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

In_Singapore

Post by In_Singapore » Wed, 22 May 2013 3:36 pm

PNGMK wrote:

David
Well, the expiry date of the visa is two years from date of issuance, so that, I believe, it is a two year visa. And since it's for tourist purpose, it is a tourist visa. I hope, that suffices for now.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 22 May 2013 3:49 pm

In_Singapore wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Well, the expiry date of the visa is two years from date of issuance, so that, I believe, it is a two year visa. And since it's for tourist purpose, it is a tourist visa. I hope, that suffices for now.
I have never seen a 2-year tourist visa... of any country. It is better to double-check the maximum duration of stay. It may expire in two years, but only allow you to stay for 90 days (for example). For tourists, maximum stay is generally max. 6 months out of a year, if I recall correctly. Anything beyond 6 months normally implies residence.

When it comes to work matters, things are pretty much as SMS said. However, and this is the reason why we are asking, if you run afoul of immigration laws (such as overstaying on a tourist visa), you are much less likely to obtain an emlpoyment visa of any kind.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 May 2013 3:52 pm

In_Singapore wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

David
Does it look the the one in the link? If it does then it's an LTVP as I said.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/news_details.aspx?nid=11681
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 May 2013 4:24 pm

AngMoG wrote: I have never seen a 2-year tourist visa... of any country. It is better to double-check the maximum duration of stay. It may expire in two years, but only allow you to stay for 90 days (for example). For tourists, maximum stay is generally max. 6 months out of a year, if I recall correctly. Anything beyond 6 months normally implies residence.
The US B1/B2 is commonly issued for 10 years (unless you're from one of the unliked countries, then a year) and is good for unlimited entries. Usually 90 days in length, but you can ask the DHS officer for longer and get it if he is in a good mood.

That said, original poster is confused.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 May 2013 4:26 pm

David
To answer your question, if you're on an LTVP as SMS said you can attempt to locate work. If a company chooses to hire you, they can then apply for a work permit or employment pass for you. If you're granted one, your LTVP will be cancelled and you'll be able to stay for the duration of the pass issued.

If you're not on an LTVP, please tell us how you got this visa. Is it a passport stamp? A plastic card? Something else? A photo perhaps with your personal info blacked out?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 22 May 2013 5:20 pm

Well, he is posting from India and as nobody likes arrogant liars please join me in waving to him good bye.

Moderator.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 May 2013 5:32 pm

:wave:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 23 May 2013 8:45 am

x9200 wrote:Well, he is posting from India and as nobody likes arrogant liars please join me in waving to him good bye.

Moderator.
So an Indian trying to figure out if he can fly here as a tourist and find work. I guess the nick 'In_Singapore' was a little obvious.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 23 May 2013 10:10 am

zzm9980 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Well, he is posting from India and as nobody likes arrogant liars please join me in waving to him good bye.

Moderator.
So an Indian trying to figure out if he can fly here as a tourist and find work. I guess the nick 'In_Singapore' was a little obvious.
Well, he can try... like thousands of others. If he finds a job, good for him, if not - he'll have to leave when money or visa runs out, whichever does so first. Odds are against him in terms of visa, I'd say.