Singapore Expats

How did you know you were ready to relocate to SG?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
azman_

How did you know you were ready to relocate to SG?

Post by azman_ » Sat, 18 May 2013 10:27 pm

Hi

I wish to relocate to Singapore from Australia sometime this year, however it's a big move and I'm lacking a bit of direction.

I'm an Environmental Hydrogeologist specializing in contaminated sites, and as I understand it, is a specialized/niche field in Singapore (it's more prominent in Oz). To add to that, I have a certain background, which even in Oz is seen to be highly desirable. So I know to an extent that my skill set is rare in SG. I have over 3 years experience as a consultant.

The main reason for wishing to move is to experience the field in another country and further my development into a senior role in the years to come. Singapore because I'm half Singaporean and been there many times.

So my question is...does this seem to be a good idea? Should I take the plunge?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 18 May 2013 11:51 pm

Who is going to hire you? Singapore is a great place to live... and it is becoming increasingly expensive for virtually everything.

With the government cracking down on work permits, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get one, and although you could probably set up a company and get a work permit, given your professional status, the question is... who is going to hire you at the rates you will require in order to live a good life in Singapore.

The list of Singapore's contaminated sites is small at best, and I suspect most work would be contracted elsewhere.

Thus, I'd really research this question from the point of view of "who will I work for" and "what would they pay me"? As you know, it's the engineering companies doing the remediation work... find some Singapore or Hong Kong based companies and strike up a conversation.