Singapore Expats

Culture Shock - Arriving in singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 18 May 2013 3:34 pm

As I crossed the road earlier today (yes, I was jay-walking), I had to let an SBS double-decker pass in front of me. But while the bus neared, I noticed something odd about the bus captain. As the bus got closer, I realized he had a Vicks Spray in both his nostrils! They were just sitting there in his nose! I mean, how do you even breathe?

Best part was that he so obviously didn't give a hoot how he looked.

What a boss!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 May 2013 4:09 pm

You will often see taxi uncles like that as well. Also you will see them "shaving" with two coins or have 20 cent coins stuffed in their ears.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 18 May 2013 4:16 pm

JR8 wrote:'Lowrys Farm' clothes shop. Wonder what country that's from, and, they forgot the apostrophe.
Saw this place and the missing apostrophe* today for the first time and guess who it reminded me of...
JR8 wrote:Axe-faced caucasian women. Where are they from I wonder, Australia, America?
Second time in this thread I'm seeing this term, which is new to me, and while it sounds derogatory, I'm not sure what axe-faced actually looks like. Probably not as bad as axed-face would though.

Curious how Aussies and Americans are suspect but not those from the UK.

*They usually get apostrophe right albeit wrongly i.e. there is a shop in Japan called "Let's" and there was a band named "Andy's", but Japan is famous for grammatical faux pas.
Last edited by Brah on Sat, 18 May 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Sat, 18 May 2013 4:33 pm

x9200 wrote:
stuckmojo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Hello! You are in Asia, right? Certain protocols should be adhered to whether it's two or twenty. It would only be a problem if one was taking off everybody's shoes, rather than each taking off their own, neh?
of course. But since we're talking of culture shock,here it is.
If you follow some basic feet hygiene the shock can be negligible.
Sorry, what has that got to do with feet hygiene? I live in the UK, I am from Italy. In none of these countries do you take your shoes off to view a flat where no one is living/unfurnished.

Do you expect the removal people to take their shoes off as they bring the furniture as well?

As I said, after the first viewing, it became automatic. I actually think it's a good idea and respectful of the house occupier.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 18 May 2013 4:40 pm

stuckmojo wrote:Sorry, what has that got to do with feet hygiene? I live in the UK, I am from Italy. In none of these countries do you take your shoes off to view a flat where no one is living/unfurnished.

Do you expect the removal people to take their shoes off as they bring the furniture as well?
Technically it's probably less hygienic feet-wise as you see some pretty gnarly feet in Singapore but more hygienic house-wise as dirt from shoes is not tracked in.

You don't even have to ask the movers, they know to do it, but if they didn't yes I would expect them to do so.

If I ever move back to a Western country my house or apartment will be a strictly shoes-off abode.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 6:03 pm

Brah wrote:Second time in this thread I'm seeing this term, which is new to me, and while it sounds derogatory, I'm not sure what axe-faced actually looks like. Probably not as bad as axed-face would though.

Curious how Aussies and Americans are suspect but not those from the UK.
Well just to be clear (again), none of the impressions are meant to be derogatory. They are *impressions* born of an instant, and not statements of fact.

So when I describe a woman, or group, as being 'axe-faced', it is something that strikes me, heavily, as different from whence I have come. They are Relative statements, rather than Absolute statements.

Why did I ponder Aus/US? Because I've lived in the US (and been to Aus a couple of times), and it's a look I associate with those countries. It is not a look I associate with Europe (after all, if it was then it would not make an impression on me as very different, would it?)

As I said, for me it is like a psychological experiment. I find it interesting (3rd time in-country) what still makes a first-impression on me. I look forward months hence when all is every-day, looking back at what those things were. I also thought it might interest some of the oldsters, who might identify a thing or two that are strange to me, but 'just how it is/everyday' to them. I.e. they see these things now, from the 180 degree opposite position. Lastly, I hoped it might be of some minor use to people about to relo into SG, regarding a range of differences to be aware of, and that 'It's not just you finding XYZ a little different in certain ways'.

p.s. perhaps you could clarify why this topic appears to aggravate you so much, that would then allow me to take it into consideration in the future.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 6:32 pm

- Raffles Place banker types, with tailored-in workshirts.

- Locals holding cutlery in their finger-tips, with the utensils pointing vertically downwards.

- Feedback forms on restaurant tables.

- Workers queueing to throw armfuls of construction debris into a refuse skip, at 10.30pm.

- Queueing 30 minutes to get into Nando's chicken restaurant. I don't recall queueing for any restaurant before. (Plus they don't serve beer!, the chix is good though :)).

- An adult clothes shop called 'Pull and Bear'. Wondered if this was a play of the up-scale yachtie brand 'Paul and Shark'

- A fleet of Mercs and other top-end cars, all with 3-4 character choice number-plates, behind Ngee-Ann. The wife suggested it might be Johore royalty...

- Have lunch, Japanese cuisine, very nice. Struggle a little to get up from the chair, as it's seat is c6" below my knee level.

- A man walks by. There is a logo on the back/shoulder of his T-shirt: 'Peace Bed'. [Me: Squinting! :)]

- A cake-kiosk in a subway, called 'Subway Niche'. Creative plagiarism!

- A clothes shop called 'Trois + Inch'. Trois being French for 3. ??

- Another shop selling clothing, 'Peak - since 1883'. Do these brands really have this heritage, as claiming to be from 1870/1880 seems to be quite a common thing here.

- Having to show my passport to buy a bottle of anti-dandruff shampoo.

- Another orange Lamborghini (or is it the same one going round and around district 9!)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 6:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will often see taxi uncles like that as well. Also you will see them "shaving" with two coins or have 20 cent coins stuffed in their ears.

I've seen the coins being stored in the ears. Tis most strange!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 18 May 2013 7:11 pm

JR8 wrote:- Having to show my passport to buy a bottle of anti-dandruff shampoo.
Nizoral, right? I still did not figure out why. Ketoconazole seems not on the NEA controlled substances list. Similarly they will record your ID for buying Nurophen.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 18 May 2013 7:20 pm

JR8 wrote:
- Another orange Lamborghini (or is it the same one going round and around district 9!)
There's at least four of them--orange, yellow, white and gray.

And the occasional red ferrari.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 9:01 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:- Having to show my passport to buy a bottle of anti-dandruff shampoo.
Nizoral, right? I still did not figure out why. Ketoconazole seems not on the NEA controlled substances list. Similarly they will record your ID for buying Nurophen.
Yes. It's weird, It's like the state being so in my face. .... Showing my passport to buy shampoo .... is this for real!?

- I don't recall these silly checks/procedures say 5 years ago...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 9:06 pm

A guy at the supermarket check-out paying with a S$1000 note, and getting $890 in change.

Nothing to add - WTF

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 18 May 2013 9:20 pm

x9200 wrote:
Yeah.

Weird, paranoid!?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 18 May 2013 9:56 pm

JR8 wrote: - A clothes shop called 'Trois + Inch'. Trois being French for 3. ??
Reminds me of when I first got here and being shocked at the name "Four skin" for a clothing store at Marina Square.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 19 May 2013 12:12 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote: - A clothes shop called 'Trois + Inch'. Trois being French for 3. ??
Reminds me of when I first got here and being shocked at the name "Four skin" for a clothing store at Marina Square.
LOL! :shock: :lol: